  • * Re: C/C++ knocks the crap out of Ada
           [not found]     ` <4g1b7n$l5@mailhub.scitec.com.au>
           [not found]       ` <4g577o$28r@newsbf02.news.aol.com>
    @ 1996-02-17  0:00       ` Robert Dewar
           [not found]       ` <3124B2F3.6D21@escmail.orl.mmc.com>
                             ` (2 subsequent siblings)
    From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-02-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Ramses asks

    "Didn't NASA loose a satelite due to a bug in a piece of Ada code?"

    And thus are rumours borne out of innocent (?????) questions :-)

  • [parent not found: <3124B2F3.6D21@escmail.orl.mmc.com>]
  • * Re: C/C++ knocks the crap out of Ada
           [not found]     ` <4g1b7n$l5@mailhub.scitec.com.au>
                             ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
           [not found]       ` <3124B2F3.6D21@escmail.orl.mmc.com>
    @ 1996-02-19  0:00       ` Adam Morris
           [not found]       ` <JSA.96Feb16135027@organon.com>
    From: Adam Morris @ 1996-02-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Someone was heard to mumble:-
    >> Truth is, Ada has its strengths

    And it's weaknesses... Like EVERY other language (in my opinion)

    >> and is (for certain projects) far superior to any other structured
    >> language.

    and ML is far superior for certain projects, and C is better for other ones,
    and if what you really want is Fortran then that's the best... For a
    particular project then yes Ada or C++ or BCPL or whatever may be the best...
    but for EVERY project there is no one language that is the best every time.

    I am quite happy to admit that I prefer programming in C/C++ to programming in
    Basic, but if I want a really small simple thing done I'm willing to use a
    batch file/shell script.  If I can do it in that in a couple of minutes why do
    I need to write a fully compiled program that will do it.

    Need I add that all of this is my own personal opinions?

    BTW in my opinion I won't find a language that is perfect for me until I write
    one that does everything I want in the way that I want it to, even then, you
    may not like it, or you may only like bits of it.  And i'm never going to
    write it because my requirements are always changing... :-)

    Adam.

  • [parent not found: <JSA.96Feb16135027@organon.com>]
  • [parent not found: <BYERLY_J.96Feb7170158@srm9.motsat.sat.mot.com>]
  • * Re: C/C++ knocks the ....
           [not found] ` <4etcmm$lpd@nova.dimensional.com>
           [not found]   ` <4f4ptt$a1c@newsbf02.news.aol.com>
           [not found]   ` <BYERLY_J.96Feb7170158@srm9.motsat.sat.mot.com>
    @ 1996-02-19  0:00   ` Robert I. Eachus
                         ` (15 subsequent siblings)
    From: Robert I. Eachus @ 1996-02-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    In article <4g6hg8$f4j@ux1.lmu.edu> Ray Toal <rtoal@eecs.lmu.edu> writes:

      > Norman Cohen just posted a really good article on this topic a few
      > days ago and I won't repeat it here.  It should at least "convince"
      > people that separating package and type is a solid design decision
      > and not a hack to maintain upward compatibility with Ada 83.

      > Having programmed in Smalltalk and C++ before Ada 95, I admit I had
      > to look twice at the Ada approach because I was so USED TO confusing
      > class with module.  But taking a few minutes to get used to Ada's
      > approach I like it better.

        There are many people who start out with a "dogmatic" approach to
    ADTs in Ada, limiting them to one per package.  But after a while you
    ask why this type and that type appear in the same package
    specification, you get some mumbling about "the $%^*&* language makes
    it too difficult to put them in different packages."  A few months
    later you see cogent comments for ADTs in the same package explaining
    why it was done that way, and lots of what I prefer to call "helper"
    type declarations that have no explanation.  (And don't need any.)

        For example, assume that your (private) ADT has several associated
    flags.  You can (and often should) have one inquiry function for each
    flag.  But the boolean flags may really indicate that the ADT is in
    one of, say, five states.  Best in that case is to define an
    enumeration type in the same package and have a single inquiry
    function, and a single procedure to set the state if that is
    appropriate.

        Other cases where "helper" types appear is when there are arrays,
    lists, names, etc. as properties of the main ADT and the ONLY use of
    these types is as state of the primary ADT.

    --

    					Robert I. Eachus

    with Standard_Disclaimer;
    use  Standard_Disclaimer;

  • * Re: C/C++ knocks the crap out of Ada
           [not found] ` <4etcmm$lpd@nova.dimensional.com>
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1996-02-20  0:00   ` Ketil Z Malde
                         ` (14 subsequent siblings)
    From: Ketil Z Malde @ 1996-02-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

        Nasser> Given 2 equally good programmers one in C++ and one in
        Nasser> Ada, most people will agree that Ada code is easier to
        Nasser> read than the C++ code.
    	:	:	:
        Nasser> A code that is easier to read, is easier to maintain.

    I'm certainly not qualified to parttake in this fla^H^H^Hheated debate
    about Ada vs. C++ -- however, I believe Booch (in "Object oriented
    analysis and design") cites an example program that shrunk 90% when
    recoded into C++ from Ada.  Question is, is this typical?  And if so,
    is it easier to read/maintain 100K lines of Ada than 10K lines C++?

    -kzm

  • * Re: C/C++ knocks the crap out of Ada
           [not found] ` <4etcmm$lpd@nova.dimensional.com>
                         ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1996-02-20  0:00   ` Lee Graba
                         ` (13 subsequent siblings)
    From: Lee Graba @ 1996-02-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
      To: Ken Garlington

    In article <312992F6.588D@lfwc.lockheed.com>,
    	Ken Garlington <GarlingtonKE@lfwc.lockheed.com> writes:
    >Jon S Anthony wrote:
    >>
    >> So, does this mean that there are _no_ confirmed cases of probes lost due
    >> software?  If so, I'm impressed as software has just plain _got_ to be
    >> the weakest link in the chain.  1/2 :-)
    >
    >Actually, I would say that system requirements are the weak link in the chain,
    >although the errors often tend to occur in software these days since more
    >requirements (and particularly the harder, more volatile requirements) tend to
    >be put in software.
    >
    >Three cases near and dear to my heart:
    >
    >For years, I have heard the story about how a "bug" in the F-16 flight control
    >computer caused it to roll to an inverted position when crossing the equator. I
    >have never found anything authoritative that exactly described the circumstances
    >(if anyone has this information, let me know); but there are two points to be
    >made about this:
    >
    >  1. Until relatively recently, the F-16 flight control computer didn't have any
    >     software in it. It was an analog computer.

    Actually, the F-16A had a hybrid flight control computer.  The primary flight
    control functions were performed by an analog computer, but some flight control
    gains were scheduled with respect to flight condition by a digital computer and
    fed to the analog computer.  However, setting gains should not cause the above-
    described phenomenon.

    If such a thing did occur, it would probably be due to the Navset, which is
    usually a separate digital computer whose responsibility is to take
    measurements and then compute positions and attitudes, and associated rates.
    A software error here might cause a problem, if say, it was telling the flight
    control computer that it was flying straight and level, and suddenly told it
    that it was really upside down.  The flight control computer would then try
    to right the plane, since it doesn't know good information from bad.

    I have heard the above story, as well, but don't know if it is true.

    >  2. Some people believe they heard this story in terms of the behavior of a
    >     handling qualities _simulation_ of the flight control system, in which
    >     the environment model only contained a part of the northern hemisphere. Someone
    >     decided to see what happened when you "flew off the edge of the earth."
    >
    >The other two cases are more recent and involve pilot-induced oscillations leading
    >to an aircraft crash. In both cases, the press widely reported (in at least one
    >case, quoting a senior executive at one company) that "the software got confused."
    >However, the error in both cases was due to an interaction of the control law model,
    >which can be implemented in either hardware or software, and the pilot. (The pilot
    >will probably say the control laws were wrong; the control law people will probably
    >say that the pilot operated the system outside its' limits. Both are probably right
    >:). Nonetheless, because the behavior occured in software, that's what gets the
    >blame.
    >
    >Dr. Levison's "Safeware" defines far issue much better than I just did, BTW.

  • * Re: C/C++ knocks the crap out of Ada
           [not found] ` <4etcmm$lpd@nova.dimensional.com>
                         ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1996-02-20  0:00   ` Jon S Anthony
                         ` (12 subsequent siblings)
    From: Jon S Anthony @ 1996-02-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    In article <dewar.824610024@schonberg> dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:

    > Robin said
    >
    > "---It's other things besides -- like, how to find a square root, how to do
    > simple I/O.
    >
    > both these things are trivial in Ada 95, certainly not something students
    > have problems with, even right at the start, Robin what are you talking
    > about.

    He's talking about how little he knows the language and how much he
    likes to pontificate on it despite this (rather obvious) fact.

    /Jon
    --
    Jon Anthony
    Organon Motives, Inc.

    617.484.3383
    jsa@organon.com

  • * Re: C/C++ knocks the crap out of Ada
           [not found] ` <4etcmm$lpd@nova.dimensional.com>
                         ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1996-02-20  0:00   ` Jon S Anthony
                         ` (11 subsequent siblings)
    From: Jon S Anthony @ 1996-02-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    In article <DMwFqr.EGD@thomsoft.com> kst@thomsoft.com (Keith Thompson) writes:

    > The story that a Venus probe was destroyed by a Fortran error has been
    > widely propagated, but it's inaccurate.  The probe in question was
    > Mariner 1, which was destroyed 4 minutes after launch on July 22, 1962.

    So, does this mean that there are _no_ confirmed cases of probes lost due
    software?  If so, I'm impressed as software has just plain _got_ to be
    the weakest link in the chain.  1/2 :-)

    [neat info snipped...]

    /Jon

    --
    Jon Anthony
    Organon Motives, Inc.

    617.484.3383
    jsa@organon.com

  • * Re: C/C++ knocks the crap out of Ada
           [not found] ` <4etcmm$lpd@nova.dimensional.com>
                         ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1996-02-20  0:00   ` Jon S Anthony
                         ` (10 subsequent siblings)
    From: Jon S Anthony @ 1996-02-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    In article <4g966j$cr8@goanna.cs.rmit.EDU.AU> ok@goanna.cs.rmit.EDU.AU (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:

    > Simple I/O:
    >
    > Step 1
    >     Look it up in the manual
    > Step 2
    >     Do what the Fine Manual says.
    >
    > *SIMPLE* I/O involves withing and using a couple of standard packages,
    > and then using Put, New_Line, Get, and Skip_Line.  Pretty darned simple.
    > It has not been a problem for first-year students at this university.
    >
    > Ada does not support Fortran-style formatted I/O, nor PL/I style
    > formatted or pictured I/O (but see Interfaces.COBOL).

    For most naive (first time users) needs it is even simpler than this.
    Here, again, is a version in C and Ada of a simple first program:

    First, the Ada (14 lines):

    with Ada.Command_Line;  use Ada.Command_Line;
    with Text_Io;  use Text_Io;

    procedure X is

    begin
        Put_Line(
            "My name is " & Command_Name & ", I have" &
            Integer'Image(Argument_Count) & " arguments.");
        Put_Line("They are: ");
        for I in 1..Argument_Count loop
            Put_Line("  " & Argument(I));
        end loop;
    end;

    $ gnatmake $tests_wrk/x.adb
    $ x 1 2 3
    My name is x, I have 3 arguments.
    They are:
      1
      2
      3

    Now the C (14 lines):

    #include <stdio.h>

    main (argc, argv)
        int argc;
        char *argv[];

    {
        int i;

        printf ("My name is %s, I have %d arguments \n", argv[0], argc-1);
        printf ("They are: \n");
        for (i = 1; i < argc; i++)
        printf("  %s\n", argv[i]);
    }

    $ gcc -o cx cx.c
    $ cx 1 2 3
    My name is cx, I have 3 arguments
    They are:
      1
      2
      3

    /Jon
    --
    Jon Anthony
    Organon Motives, Inc.

    617.484.3383
    jsa@organon.com

  • * Re: C/C++ knocks the crap out of Ada
           [not found] ` <4etcmm$lpd@nova.dimensional.com>
                         ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1996-02-20  0:00   ` Ted Dennison
                         ` (9 subsequent siblings)
    From: Ted Dennison @ 1996-02-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Ketil Z Malde wrote:

    > I'm certainly not qualified to parttake in this fla^H^H^Hheated debate
    > about Ada vs. C++ -- however, I believe Booch (in "Object oriented
    > analysis and design") cites an example program that shrunk 90% when
    > recoded into C++ from Ada.  Question is, is this typical?  And if so,
    > is it easier to read/maintain 100K lines of Ada than 10K lines C++?

    I believe that was when it was recoded into Ada (95). If I remember
    correctly, the size of the Ada 83 version was even longer. Ada (95)
    has not been around long enough to have any real reliable numbers about
    how typical this is.

    --
    T.E.D.
                    |  Work - mailto:dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com  |

  • * Re: C/C++ knocks the crap out of Ada
           [not found] ` <4etcmm$lpd@nova.dimensional.com>
                         ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1996-02-20  0:00   ` Ken Garlington
                         ` (8 subsequent siblings)
    From: Ken Garlington @ 1996-02-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Jon S Anthony wrote:

    > So, does this mean that there are _no_ confirmed cases of probes lost due
    > software?  If so, I'm impressed as software has just plain _got_ to be
    > the weakest link in the chain.  1/2 :-)

    Actually, I would say that system requirements are the weak link in the chain,
    although the errors often tend to occur in software these days since more
    requirements (and particularly the harder, more volatile requirements) tend to
    be put in software.

    Three cases near and dear to my heart:

    For years, I have heard the story about how a "bug" in the F-16 flight control
    computer caused it to roll to an inverted position when crossing the equator. I
    have never found anything authoritative that exactly described the circumstances
    (if anyone has this information, let me know); but there are two points to be
    made about this:

      1. Until relatively recently, the F-16 flight control computer didn't have any
         software in it. It was an analog computer.

      2. Some people believe they heard this story in terms of the behavior of a
         handling qualities _simulation_ of the flight control system, in which
         the environment model only contained a part of the northern hemisphere. Someone
         decided to see what happened when you "flew off the edge of the earth."

    The other two cases are more recent and involve pilot-induced oscillations leading
    to an aircraft crash. In both cases, the press widely reported (in at least one
    case, quoting a senior executive at one company) that "the software got confused."
    However, the error in both cases was due to an interaction of the control law model,
    which can be implemented in either hardware or software, and the pilot. (The pilot
    will probably say the control laws were wrong; the control law people will probably
    say that the pilot operated the system outside its' limits. Both are probably right
    :). Nonetheless, because the behavior occured in software, that's what gets the
    blame.

    Dr. Levison's "Safeware" defines far issue much better than I just did, BTW.

  • * Re: C/C++ knocks the crap out of Ada
           [not found] ` <4etcmm$lpd@nova.dimensional.com>
                         ` (9 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1996-02-21  0:00   ` Jon S Anthony
           [not found]   ` <4gaa <4gd94r$isu@mack.rt66.com>
                         ` (7 subsequent siblings)
    From: Jon S Anthony @ 1996-02-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    In article <312992F6.588D@lfwc.lockheed.com> Ken Garlington <GarlingtonKE@lfwc.lockheed.com> writes:

    ***Definitely off topic, but:

    > The other two cases are more recent and involve pilot-induced
    > oscillations leading to an aircraft crash. In both cases, the press
    > widely reported (in at least one case, quoting a senior executive at
    > one company) that "the software got confused."  However, the error
    > in both cases was due to an interaction of the control law model,
    > which can be implemented in either hardware or software, and the
    > pilot. (The pilot will probably say the control laws were wrong; the
    > control law people will probably say that the pilot operated the
    > system outside its' limits. Both are probably right :).

    From experience I can say that PIO can definitely "suck you in" under
    certain circumstances.  In particular, when flying formation as wing
    in, say parade position, you can think relative motion to lead is due
    to lead not being "smooth" when in fact it is you who are flailing
    around and causing the problem to get worse with each "correction".
    Of course this only happens in early training. :-)

    /Jon
    --
    Jon Anthony
    Organon Motives, Inc.

    617.484.3383
    jsa@organon.com

  • [parent not found: <4gaa <4gd94r$isu@mack.rt66.com>]
  • * Re: C/C++ knocks the crap out of Ada
           [not found] ` <4etcmm$lpd@nova.dimensional.com>
                         ` (11 preceding siblings ...)
           [not found]   ` <4gaa <4gd94r$isu@mack.rt66.com>
    @ 1996-02-21  0:00   ` Ken Garlington
                         ` (5 subsequent siblings)
    From: Ken Garlington @ 1996-02-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Lee Graba wrote:

    > >  1. Until relatively recently, the F-16 flight control computer didn't have any
    > >     software in it. It was an analog computer.
    >
    > Actually, the F-16A had a hybrid flight control computer.  The primary flight
    > control functions were performed by an analog computer, but some flight control
    > gains were scheduled with respect to flight condition by a digital computer and
    > fed to the analog computer.  However, setting gains should not cause the above-
    > described phenomenon.

    You're right - by analog, I meant that the gains were computed as analog values. The
    key statement, of course, is that there was no software in it anywhere. The gain
    scheduling was done via digital non-programmable electronic circuitry. AFTI/F-16 was
    the first F-16 flight control computer to contain software; it was called the digital
    flight control computer (and we called the older computer the _analog_ system
    to distringuish it, even though it did it include digital circuits). The Block 40
    system was called the _production_ digital flight control system, BTW. Since
    all of our newer systems contain software, we now drop the "digital" part
    and just talk about "the flight control system".

    > If such a thing did occur, it would probably be due to the Navset, which is
    > usually a separate digital computer whose responsibility is to take
    > measurements and then compute positions and attitudes, and associated rates.
    > A software error here might cause a problem, if say, it was telling the flight
    > control computer that it was flying straight and level, and suddenly told it
    > that it was really upside down.  The flight control computer would then try
    > to right the plane, since it doesn't know good information from bad.

    Well, a single-point Navset failure would be detected, but a generic software
    fault in an IRS system might not. However, no one has ever been able to say what
    happened, or even if this ever really did happen (and as such is another software
    "urban legend" to add to the pile).

  • * Re: C/C++ ... out of Ada
           [not found] ` <4etcmm$lpd@nova.dimensional.com>
                         ` (12 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1996-02-22  0:00   ` Norman H. Cohen
                         ` (4 subsequent siblings)
    From: Norman H. Cohen @ 1996-02-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    In article <4ggt07$7mm@goanna.cs.rmit.EDU.AU>, ok@goanna.cs.rmit.EDU.AU
    (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:

    |> PL/I-style "record" I/O is also not supported by Ada 95.

    Sequential_IO provides the basic capabilities of PL/I record I/O,
    although it is obviously not a clone of that facility.

    |> It might actually be worth discussing this at some time; what did DEC Ada
    |> do about RMS?

    DEC adopted a gcc-based Ada compiler for the Alpha.

    (I presume that by RMS you mean Richard M. Stallman. ;-) )

    --
    Norman H. Cohen    ncohen@watson.ibm.com

  • * Re: C/C++ knocks the crap out of Ada
           [not found] ` <4etcmm$lpd@nova.dimensional.com>
                         ` (13 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1996-02-22  0:00   ` Jon S Anthony
                         ` (3 subsequent siblings)
    From: Jon S Anthony @ 1996-02-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    In article <4gejp7$o23@mailhub.scitec.com.au> ramsesy@rd.scitec.com.au (Ramses Youhana) writes:

    Ramses,

    > Since I posted the above, I've been flamed by every man and his dog.

    :-)

    > The comment was based on something I was told at UNI by one of the
    > lecturers, and not out of my own experience.

    Yes, it is highly unfortunate that people in "positions of authority
    or power" should pontificate on things they know absolutely nothing
    about.  I suppose this is just one more piece of evidence suggesting
    that so called "authorities" are to be questioned at every point.
    It is unfortunate that it has come to this, but it appears to be
    true...

    > particular, one who stated that I could probably learn Ada in about
    > one week.

    Same comment applies.  This is just pure baloney.  You can learn the
    core of the language (C/Pascal equivalent) in somewhat less time than
    learning Pascal (due to the more regular syntax and semantics).  I
    really don't believe that you can learn all of Pascal (and actually
    know it) in "about one week".

    > in learning it.  Can anyone suggest any good books on it (one that
    > reasonably priced) and possibly a good compiler for a PC.  Also,

    Well, two excellent books would be John Barnes's Programming in Ada95,
    Addison Wesley; and Norman Cohen's Ada as a Second Language (the new
    edition covering Ada95).  Both are probably going to run around
    US$45.00.  As for a compiler, you are in good luck.  A couple options
    are Gnat (download your favorite machine binary version for free from
    cs.nyu.edu pub/gnat [includeing Win/95, Win/Nt, OS/2, DOS] and make
    sure you pick up the emacs mode or M. Felman's GWU Turbo-like
    environment) or Thompson's ActivAda or ObjectAda (beta test) for under
    US$100.00.  There are many others.  Also, for all sorts of information
    like this check out the Ada WWW home page: http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/

    > according to many of the postings, I'm being given the impression
    > that there are plenty of engineering jobs for Ada.  I've been
    > looking in the job ads (in Sydney, Australia) and I can't seem to
    > find many Ada jobs (as compared with C and C/C++ jobs) for
    > engineers.  I'm interested to know where these jobs are.

    Unfortunately, this topic generally generates only flames and other
    irrational comments.  IMO, the exact situation is very unclear, but
    it seems there are (in general) more Ada positions than qualified
    people to fill them.

    /Jon
    --
    Jon Anthony
    Organon Motives, Inc.

    617.484.3383
    jsa@organon.com

  • * Re: C/C++ knocks the crap out of Ada
           [not found] ` <4etcmm$lpd@nova.dimensional.com>
                         ` (14 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1996-02-22  0:00   ` Ketil Z Malde
           [not found]   ` <3114d8fb.5a455349@zesi.ruhr.de>
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
    From: Ketil Z Malde @ 1996-02-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

        Ralph> do yourself a big favor and check thoroughly on this quote
        Ralph> !!! (:-) Booch commented on the design in Ada83, not Ada95

    Err...I see.  As I think I said, I don't know much about Ada, so I
    wouldn't really know the difference anyway.  Until now.  Sorry :-)

    -kzm

  • [parent not found: <3114d8fb.5a455349@zesi.ruhr.de>]
  • * Re: C/C++ knocks the crap out of Ada
           [not found] ` <4etcmm$lpd@nova.dimensional.com>
                         ` (16 preceding siblings ...)
           [not found]   ` <3114d8fb.5a455349@zesi.ruhr.de>
    @ 1996-02-26  0:00   ` Matt Austern
    From: Matt Austern @ 1996-02-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    In article <312FDB27.4B83@inav.net> JR Crosmer <rainbow@inav.net> writes:

    > > >(4) C++ in particular has been changing very rapidly.  It seems as if every
    > > >    time I turn around there is a new keyword.
    >
    > What is the status of the plain/ordinary/but very noticably forgotten boolean?
    >
    > It seems that the biggest difficutly that run into is that everybody needs/wants to
    > declare a new version (and they are not all compatible!).  Because C/C++ were never
    > polite enough to provide it to begin with (0 or non-zero is hardly a good substitute)
    > we end up either creating the (ITEM, NON_ITEM) form, create yet another version
    > (my latest is BooleaN, { FalsE, TruE } ).  I think I remember something about
    > BOOL in one of the C or C++ stds.  Which compilers use it?  (Borland does not,
    > at least thru 4.0).

    C does not have a boolean type, but C++ does.  It was added precisely
    because every language was defining its own boolean type: it was clear
    that a standard boolean type was needed for the sake of avoiding name
    clashes.

    The C++ boolean type is called bool, and its two permissible values
    are the manifest constants true and false.  For the sake of
    compatibility with old code, there are standard conversions from bool
    to int and from int to bool.
    --
    Matt Austern
    SGI: MTI Compilers Group

  • * Re: C/C++ knocks the crap out of Ada
           [not found] ` <4etcmm$lpd@nova.dimensional.com>
                         ` (17 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1996-02-26  0:00   ` Matt Austern
    From: Matt Austern @ 1996-02-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    In article <AUSTERN.96Feb26094555@isolde.mti.sgi.com> austern@isolde.mti.sgi.com (Matt Austern) writes:

    > C does not have a boolean type, but C++ does.  It was added precisely
    > because every language was defining its own boolean type: it was clear
    > that a standard boolean type was needed for the sake of avoiding name
    > clashes.

    This is a typo, of course.  It should read "every library was defining
    its own boolean type."
    --
    Matt Austern
    SGI: MTI Compilers Group

  • * Re: C/C++ knocks the crap out of Ada
           [not found] <00001a73+00002504@msn.com>
           [not found] ` <313EDF38.61C1@lfwc.lockheed.com>
           [not found] ` <4etcmm$lpd@nova.dimensional.com>
    @ 1996-03-15  0:00 ` Kazimir Kylheku
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
    From: Kazimir Kylheku @ 1996-03-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    In article <4idh80$6tj@solutions.solon.com>,
    Peter Seebach <seebs@solutions.solon.com> wrote:
     >In article <4icja9$1r92@saba.info.ucla.edu>,
     >Jay Martin <jmartin@cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
     >>>Lex and Yacc are proven utilities that work.
     >
     >>Lex and Yacc are braindead crap along with C and Unix.  Do they have an
     >>option to output Ada??
     >
     >Huh?  I'm sorry, but you have *no* argument here.  Lex and Yacc are brilliant;
     >they do *exactly* what they're supposed to do.  What problems do you see
     >with them?  (Reply by email, please, this is even less topical than usual.)
     >
     >Sure they have an option to output Ada.  It's the one you're about to write,
     >if it's so useful.  I have no need for it, so I'm not about to.  It could
     >be done, of course - it's just not currently needed.  :)
     >
     >>You have become and "idiot savant" at it, congratulations,
     >>unfortunately the next guy might not reading your code. I wasn't
     >>talking about needing a grammer, I was talking with about reading in a
     >>simple table.  Its stupid to bring in two tools with two more
     >>"languages" to do something trivial that takes a page of normal code.
     >
     >Very few people would bring in yacc for just reading a table.  I personally
     >would.  My table parser would also support simple expression grammars.  Could
     >you do that in a page of normal code, too?  (Of course you could; you'd
     >use perl, and call eval.)

    I do too. I recently wrote a configuration file parser for a daemon I
    was hired to develop. Right now, it has a brain-dead syntax. However, it is
    robust with respect to comments and whitespace and deals with ".." strings,
    integer constants and identifiers properly.

    I used error productions in the yacc grammar to generate useful, friendly error
    messages that pinpoint a problem.

    I anticipate that the grammar will get more complicated when I add certain
    features; the parser/scanner will be a snap to update, compared to having to
    understand my own code. :)

    I didn't want to waste time writing this thing. I wanted a configuration file
    facility, NOW! Lex and yacc gave it to me, in minutes. And hey, regular
    expressiona and grammars _are_ more fun than switch() statements with numeric
    case labels... so punish me for enjoying the ``journey'' for its own sake!
    I'm glad I like my work!

     >Like all tools, lex and yacc are excellent for some tasks, and useless
     >for others.  I can only assume you've been trying to use them for
     >inappropriate tasks, or more likely, that you haven't ever used them,
     >and that you're not familiar with C, either.  You've posted many
     >claims, with *no* documentation, *no* examples, and *no* rationale.

    That trick allows an author to retreat infinitely without admitting he is
    wrong, because there is no wall to back into.  ``But I never said this or
    that...''. Of course not. Didn't say a damn thing, in fact.  Without the
    documentation, examples and whatnot, it is just *.advocacy fluff.

     >Most Ada advocates at least have points to make; you, sir, are a discredit
     >to Ada users.  Hmph.  "rabid language fanatics" indeed.

    On the contrary, I don't think he discredits anyone but himself.  I'd hate to
    think that someone would consider some random C/UNIX fanatic to be a discredit
    to _me_.  (Unless I _am_ that fanatic, of course :).

    @ 1996-03-16  0:00 ` Jay Martin
           [not found] ` <Pine.A32.3.91.960313165249.124278B-100000@red.weeg.uiowa.edu>
           [not found] ` <31442F19.6C13@lfwc.lockheed.com>
    From: Jay Martin @ 1996-03-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    kcline@sun132.spd.dsccc.com (Kevin Cline) writes:

    >Maybe, but I personally find it much easier to maintain lex & yacc
    >grammers which make the file syntax explicit, instead of trying to
    >divine the syntax from scanf statements scattered throughout a dozen
    >subroutines.

    If you have to parse something, fine use lex and yacc.  If it is
    simple I prefer to use simple IO statements of the language.  Parsing
    is really only needed when there are nested structures in the text.
    As a user, I do not want to read a grammer for a text file format.
    As a programmer annotated grammers do not do much for me either.

    >The scanf programmers tend to define their input file syntax to make
    >it easy to parse, rather than easy to read, and then resist all
    >suggestions to extend the syntax for user convenience.

    I personally do not find complex text file formats as an exceptable
    user friendly method of input in this day and age.  Users should look
    at GUI's not goofy text files.  Thus, slight differences in the
    flexiblity of file formats is really of little concern these days as
    no one should be really looking at them. Besides grammer style legacy
    text file formats I see little use for parsing besides writing your
    own C++ or Ada95 or other language compiler ( or pretty printer, etc).
    Something I am not planning to do anytime soon.  So has GUI's and huge
    languages really ruined the usefulness of parsing, or am I forgetting
    some important uses of parsers.

    Jay

  • [parent not found: <Pine.A32.3.91.960313165249.124278B-100000@red.weeg.uiowa.edu>]
  • [parent not found: <31442F19.6C13@lfwc.lockheed.com>]
  • [parent not found: <4jf3dg$8jm@ra.nrl.navy.mil>]
    [parent not found: <9603041841.AA18366@eight-ball>]
    [parent not found: <DoInIF.HtK@world.std.com>]
    [parent not found: <DoBFpD.Htx@world.std.com>]
    * Re: C/C++ knocks the crap out of Ada
    @ 1996-02-19  0:00 Simon Johnston
    From: Simon Johnston @ 1996-02-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > >Yes indeed: you get a language that is large, ungainly, full of
    > >irregularities and historical oddities.  You also get a language
    > >that in much of the world is the de facto standard for commercial
    > >communication.  I remember once standing in the lobby of a
    > >hotel in Copenhagen watching a French visitor trying to talk
    > >to the desk clerk; since one spoke no French and the other
    > >no Danish, they settled on English.
    > >--
    > >                               --Andrew Koenig
    > >                                 ark@research.att.com
    >
    > I think someone out there should volunteer to write an English compiler.
    > One that
    > supports all dialects on all platforms!  :)
    >
    > Excerpt of code from a "valley person":
    >
    > If, like -- omigod!, the big red cadillac costs more than the bitchin'
    > BMW, like, buy the BMW!!!

    or even:     buy the Beamer!!!

    > ENG-E-FATSYNERR, Fatal syntax error, "like -- omigod!"
    > ENG-F-VALNOTSUP, Valley dialect not supported in this version.

    with StandardDisclaimer; use StandardDisclaimer;
    package Sig is
    --,-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
    --|Simon K. Johnston - Development Engineer (C++/Ada95) |ICL Retail Systems |
    --|-----------------------------------------------------|3/4 Willoughby Road|
    --|Unix Mail: skj@acm.org                               |Bracknell          |
    --|Telephone: +44 (0)1344 476320 Fax: +44 (0)1344 476302|Berkshire          |
    --|Internal : 7261 6320   OP Mail: S.K.Johnston@BRA0801 |RG12 8TJ           |
    --|WWW URL  : http://www.acm.org/~skj/                  |United Kingdom     |
    end Sig;

    [parent not found: <JSA.96Feb7021245@organon.com>]