From: tmoran@acm.org
Subject: Re: ANN: GMGPL Claw Page
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 18:22:29 GMT
Date: 2002-05-01T18:22:29+00:00	[thread overview]

>As for making it into the full Claw, frankly that's for you to care
>about, not me. I will continue to not care about it as long as its not
>Free Software, or I don't work for a company that has purchased a
  If your code made it into full Claw, it would help all users of
Claw, ie, a portion of the Ada community, and thus help Ada.
You don't care?  Yes, it might subtract some money from those
users and transfer it to RR Software, but nearly all software is
worth *much* more to its users than the price they paid for it.
Think of the number of programs you've bought that weren't worth
what you paid, and total up the dollars.  Now think of the ones
that were worth it, and saved you time etc worth hundreds of times
what the program cost.  I suspect you've made out rather well.
The same calculation applies to users of (your contribution to) Claw.

> You could of couse offer me a bri^H^H^Hinducement to
> allow you to relicense my stuff with something proprietary. :-)
  It's usually called a royalty, or pay, rather than a bribe,
and it's common and above board.  To be able to do it, of course,
RR would have to get some money from users of (enhanced) Claw.