From: dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: ANN: GMGPL Claw Page
Date: 1 May 2002 05:51:31 -0700
Date: 2002-05-01T12:51:32+00:00	[thread overview]

dennison@telepath.com (Ted Dennison) wrote in message news:<4519e058.0204300549.121a62db@posting.google.com>...
> "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com> wrote in message news:<ucrar97otkuhde@corp.supernews.com>...

> However, I suspect your lawyers would tell you that putting GMGPL-ed
> packages into the full proprietary Claw won't prevent you from using
> whatever license you like for the rest of Claw. So, sadly, I also
> suspect no "inducement" will be forthcomming. :-)

If your lawyers tell you this, they may be misleading. The GMGPL
exception clause applies ONLY to bound executables. If you distributed
a library with
aggregated components you might still have problems. Certainly you
would have
to distribute full sources of the GMGPL components, and probably you
should
make sure that they are well separated. You had better make very sure
your
lawyers know what they are doing if you attempt this kind of
on-the-edge
approach. What I would do in this case is to distribute my stuff, and
simply point to where useful related components can be obtained --
well
actually it is not what I would do -- I would not get into the POTS
(proprietary off the shelf) software business in the first place :-)
:-)

Robert Dewar