From: dennison@telepath.com (Ted Dennison)
Subject: Re: ANN: GMGPL Claw Page
Date: 30 Apr 2002 06:49:50 -0700
Date: 2002-04-30T13:49:50+00:00	[thread overview]

"Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com> wrote in message news:<ucrar97otkuhde@corp.supernews.com>...
> David is exactly right. It's your choice if you want to let us use your
> submissions in the full version of Claw or not.

My chief concern here is that we end up forking things, and then have
trouble rolling back in new changes from RR, which you said you make
periodicly.

> If you want to let us use them unconditionally, either make them Public
> Domain, or make them GMGPL and contact me separately to let us use them
> in the full Claw. (No promises, of course.)

The bindings I wrote are currently GPL-ed inside of the SETI@Home
Service. I've been hoping for some time to find a better home for (at
least some) of them. I was considering releasing them on their own as
Public Domain, in hopes that someone somewhere would go pick them up.

I'll take a look at Claw and see if any of them would be a good fit.
For all I know, they are entirely redundant. But if I were to put them
in Claw, it would be with the same license (GMGPL) as the rest.
There's no point in confusing things with multiple licenses.

As for making it into the full Claw, frankly that's for you to care
about, not me. I will continue to not care about it as long as its not
Free Software, or I don't work for a company that has purchased a
license to it. You could of couse offer me a bri^H^H^Hinducement to
allow you to relicense my stuff with something proprietary. :-)
However, I suspect your lawyers would tell you that putting GMGPL-ed
packages into the full proprietary Claw won't prevent you from using
whatever license you like for the rest of Claw. So, sadly, I also
suspect no "inducement" will be forthcomming. :-)

--
T.E.D.
Home     -  mailto:dennison@telepath.com (Yahoo: Ted_Dennison)