From: dennison@telepath.com (Ted Dennison)
Subject: Re: ANN: GMGPL Claw Page
Date: 30 Apr 2002 06:27:12 -0700
Date: 2002-04-30T13:27:13+00:00	[thread overview]

tmoran@acm.org wrote in message news:<Y_jz8.3116$4R.1379913861@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>...
>   I don't of course know what the future holds, but currently Claw holds
> to its design goal of being portable Ada*.  Clearly any additions must
> either be similarly portable across compilers, or some method should be
> established to indicate what additions are restricted to customers of a
> particular compiler vendor.

The bindings I've built (I'm particularly thinking of my high-level NT
service bindings) I have tried fairly hard to make portable. That's
cheifly because *I* want to be able to reuse them, no matter what
project or compiler I may find myself working on. However, that's
quite tricky to do when you have to use importing pragmas, and don't
have a second Windows compiler to try it out with. But hopefully my
portability issues are confied to:

o  Using a particular convention name (eg: "stdcall") that may not
exist on other compilers. (The only predefined one is "C", which is
not what a lot of Win32 uses).
o  Assuming Ada's Address type is compatable with C pointers.

For my interface types, I always use types from Intefaces.C.* (except
record/strucs, which always get rep-claused).

--
T.E.D.
Home     -  mailto:dennison@telepath.com (Yahoo: Ted_Dennison)