From: tmoran@acm.org
Subject: Re: ANN: GMGPL Claw Page
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 18:20:53 GMT
Date: 2002-04-30T18:20:53+00:00	[thread overview]

> portability issues are confied to:
>
> o  Using a particular convention name (eg: "stdcall") that may not
> exist on other compilers. (The only predefined one is "C", which is
> not what a lot of Win32 uses).
> o  Assuming Ada's Address type is compatable with C pointers.
  "stdcall" is already used in Claw.  It works on Apex, Gnat, ObjectAda,
and Janus.
  Claw uses 'access', not system.address, which is not, in fact, always
the same thing as a C pointer.

  I really can't understand why, given the examples of
System.Address_To_Access_Conversions, Interfaces.C.Strings,
Interfaces.C.Pointers, and a given a demonstrated ability to move
comfortably among different abstractions, anyone would use such a low
level, implementation defined thing as System.Address.  Given the
frequency with which it's done in c.l.a. postings, I guess it seems
reasonable to more than a few people.  #.#