* No networking in Florist?
@ 2007-10-14  5:01 Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2007-10-14  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

What's the reason that Florist (the POSIX.5 interface) doesn't include
networking?

Greetings,

Jacob
--
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause..."

* Re: No networking in Florist?
@ 2007-10-15 18:50 ` Manuel Gomez
From: Manuel Gomez @ 2007-10-15 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14 oct, 07:01, Jacob Sparre Andersen <spa...@nbi.dk> wrote:
> What's the reason that Florist (the POSIX.5 interface) doesn't include
> networking?
>
> Greetings,
>
> Jacob
> --
> "So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause..."

We have POSIX.Sockets, isn't that enough for networking?

There is a working group for updating the standard, maybe you can
query them about what you miss.

http://www.open-std.org/JTC1/SC22/WG9/n479.pdf

Regards,

Manuel

* Re: No networking in Florist?
@ 2007-10-16  7:18   ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2007-10-16  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Manuel Gomez wrote:
> On 14 oct, 07:01, Jacob Sparre Andersen <spa...@nbi.dk> wrote:

>> What's the reason that Florist (the POSIX.5 interface) doesn't
>> include networking?

> We have POSIX.Sockets, isn't that enough for networking?

I can't find them in the versions of Florist I have on my systems
(Debian/unstable and Ubuntu/7.04).

Greetings,

Jacob
--
"The current state of knowledge can be summarised thus:
 In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded."

* Re: No networking in Florist?
@ 2007-10-16 19:47     ` Manuel Gomez
From: Manuel Gomez @ 2007-10-16 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16 oct, 09:18, Jacob Sparre Andersen <spa...@nbi.dk> wrote:
> Manuel Gomez wrote:
> > On 14 oct, 07:01, Jacob Sparre Andersen <spa...@nbi.dk> wrote:
> >> What's the reason that Florist (the POSIX.5 interface) doesn't
> >> include networking?
> > We have POSIX.Sockets, isn't that enough for networking?
>
> I can't find them in the versions of Florist I have on my systems
> (Debian/unstable and Ubuntu/7.04).

I'm now aware that I had got installed an old package of Florist named
libflorist-3.15p-1-dev which seems to be removed from Debian Etch [1].
The new package in Debian, libflorist-dev 2006-1, does not include
posix-sockets.

The Sourceforge project [2] does come with sockets.

I wonder why. May be sockets support is buggy with current compiler?

Regards,

Manuel
[2] http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=106308

* Re: No networking in Florist?
@ 2007-10-16 22:03       ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2007-10-16 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Manuel Gomez writes:
> On 16 oct, 09:18, Jacob Sparre Andersen <spa...@nbi.dk> wrote:
>> Manuel Gomez wrote:
>> > We have POSIX.Sockets, isn't that enough for networking?
>>
>> I can't find them in the versions of Florist I have on my systems
>> (Debian/unstable and Ubuntu/7.04).
>>

> I'm now aware that I had got installed an old package of Florist named
> libflorist-3.15p-1-dev which seems to be removed from Debian Etch [1].
> The new package in Debian, libflorist-dev 2006-1, does not include
> posix-sockets.
>
> The Sourceforge project [2] does come with sockets.
>
> I wonder why. May be sockets support is buggy with current compiler?

I maintain the Debian packages. I did not remove sockets from Florist;
they were removed upstream.  Can you live with GNAT.Sockets as an
alternative?

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: No networking in Florist?
@ 2007-10-16 22:19         ` Markus E L
From: Markus E L @ 2007-10-16 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> Manuel Gomez writes:
>>>
>>> I can't find them in the versions of Florist I have on my systems
>>> (Debian/unstable and Ubuntu/7.04).
>>>

>> I'm now aware that I had got installed an old package of Florist named
>> libflorist-3.15p-1-dev which seems to be removed from Debian Etch [1].
>> The new package in Debian, libflorist-dev 2006-1, does not include
>> posix-sockets.
>>
>> The Sourceforge project [2] does come with sockets.
>>
>> I wonder why. May be sockets support is buggy with current compiler?
>
> I maintain the Debian packages. I did not remove sockets from Florist;
> they were removed upstream.  Can you live with GNAT.Sockets as an
> alternative?

Upstream is AdaCore? Hm ...

Regards -- Markus

* Re: No networking in Florist?
@ 2007-10-17  5:44         ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2007-10-17  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> I maintain the Debian packages. I did not remove sockets from
> Florist; they were removed upstream.  Can you live with GNAT.Sockets
> as an alternative?

I can, but there are some problems with it:

 * I prefer to use a standardised API instead of a proprietary one.

 * I've had to hack GNAT.Sockets to get POSIX.IO.File_Descriptors out
   of it.

Greetings,

Jacob
--
"Don't get me wrong, perl is an OK operating system, but it
 lacks a lightweight scripting language."

* Re: No networking in Florist?
@ 2007-10-17 13:53 ` anon
From: anon @ 2007-10-17 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

There are two downloadable projects that are POSIX compliant, which
means they might have what your looking for. The MaRTE Ada Real-Time
OS has a POSIX package. And there's RTEMS. So take a look at these
project and you might find what your looking for in a package or two.

Now to answer your initial question, of why?

Ada and C was never design for POSIX or any other OS API, except for
basic IO. Which means that the user or usergroups had to design the APIs
for C and Ada.

Well in the case of Ada, most users are creating programs that do not use
POSIX. And only a limited number of users are creating POSIX API apps
which means that Florist will not contain them until that changes. And
that is unlikely to happen until Microsoft goes POSIX only or stop creating
a Windows OS.

@ 2007-10-18  5:17       ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2007-10-18  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Manuel Gomez:

> I wonder why. May be sockets support is buggy with current compiler?

IIRC, the socket extensions in POSIX.5c never made it into the official
standard.  Since the standard is non-free, not widely available, and
mostly irrelevant anyway (it doesn't deal with IPv6, for instance), it's
a bit difficult to check.

* Re: No networking in Florist?
@ 2007-10-19  2:14         ` Manuel Gomez
From: Manuel Gomez @ 2007-10-19  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18 oct, 07:17, Florian Weimer wrote:

> IIRC, the socket extensions in POSIX.5c never made it into the official
> standard.

>From this document [1] by the Working Group 9 one might say they were
included:

   13. Network (Socket) Functions
   These functions are currently supported by Ada-POSIX 5c.
       accept
       bind
       connect

[1] http://www.open-std.org/JTC1/SC22/WG9/n477.pdf