From: NiGHTS <nights@unku.us>
Subject: Mission-Critical Design: Ada.Unchecked_Deallocation vs Garbage Collection
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 23:17:48 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2014-07-17T23:17:48-07:00	[thread overview]

In mission-critical design applications, do they favor garbage collectors or the unchecked deallocation?

The dangling pointer thing is definitely a problem I've had to deal with in complex C programs that I have debugged. But I can also see how having an unpredictable pool of memory hanging over the program could be a problem as well. I suppose this question is highly dependant on the application and target.

What are your thoughts on this? When is it better to use garbage collection and when is it better to use classic new & delete memory management when a life may be on the line?