From: ict@eh.org (Iain Truskett)
Subject: Re: Ada and Literate Programming
Date: 2000/05/09
Date: 2000-05-09T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

On 8 May 2000 22:51:29 +0100, Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com>
wrote:
[...]
> Seeing as the substance of literate programming is very little more
> than writing code that is properly documented, I would hope that
> everyone is doing literate programming in Ada. The very fact that this
> needed to be identified as a special technique and given a special
> name is a bit appalling. The idea of programs that are illiterate and
> cannot be read is frightening to me.

Mind you, LP *does* have the important feature of not requiring your
code to be linear. i.e. the code can be organised to suit the
documentation rather than the documentation being organised to fit the
code.

Very important, particularly in the case of error handling since
otherwise your error handling can distract the reader from the substance
of what your code is meant to be doing.

cheers,
--
iain.                                                <http://eh.org/~koschei/>