* ANN: GCC 4.9.0 for Mac OS X Mavericks
@ 2014-04-30  9:12 Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2014-04-30  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

GCC 4.9.0, with the GNAT GPL 2013 tools, is available at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuada/files/GNAT_GCC%20Mac%20OS%20X/4.9.0/

There will be another release when GNAT GPL 2014 appears.

This is the README:

This is GCC 4.9.0 built for Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9.2, Darwin
13.1.0), with Xcode 5.1.1.

gcc-4.9.0-x86_64-apple-darwin13-01.tar.bz2

Compilers included: Ada, C, C++, Objective C, Objective C++, Fortran.

Tools included: ASIS, AUnit, GPRbuild, XMLAda from GNAT GPL 2013 and
GNATColl from the public Subversion repository.

Target: x86_64-apple-darwin13
Configured with: ../gcc-4.9.0/configure \
  --prefix=/opt/gcc-4.9.0 \
  --disable-multilib \
  --disable-nls \
  --enable-languages=c,c++,ada,fortran,objc,obj-c++ \
  --host=x86_64-apple-darwin13 \
  --target=x86_64-apple-darwin13 \
  --build=x86_64-apple-darwin13
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.9.0 (GCC)

MD5 (gcc-4.9.0-x86_64-apple-darwin13-01.tar.bz2) = 74229b5339324cd7ef7bbaab0316c4bb

Install by
=======

$ cd /
$ sudo tar jxvf ~/Downloads/gcc-4.9.0-x86_64-apple-darwin13-01.tar.bz2

and put /opt/gcc-4.9.0/bin first on your PATH.

Notes
=====

The compiler is GPL verson 3 with the Runtime Exception, so
executables built with it can be released on proprietary terms
PROVIDED THAT they make no use of the the packages from GNAT GPL 2013,
which are full GPL.

The command 'gnat', as originally build, failed with SIGSEGV. It was
rebuilt on its own, using the project file gnatcmd.gpr, and no longer
failed; the working version is provided.

Changes made to GPRbuild GPL 2013 are in gprbuild-2013-src.diff. They:
* remove the '-c' flag that is wrongly passed to ranlib (and isn't by gnatmake).
* correct a problem when building static stand-alone libraries.

GNATColl GPL 2013 wouldn't build. Instead, GNATColl (SVN revision
226851) was configured as below, which is minimal apart from GNU
Readline being enabled. Users may wish to reconfigure for their own
requirements.

  ./configure \
    --prefix=/opt/gcc-4.9.0 \
    --build=x86_64-apple-darwin13 \
    --enable-gpl

resulting in

  Shared libraries:       yes (default: static)
  Gtk+:                   no (requires pkg-config and gtkada.gpr)
  Python:                 yes /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7 (see --with-python)
  PyGtk:                  no  (see --enable-pygtk)
  PyGObject:              no (see --enable-pygobject)
  Syslog:                 yes (see --enable-syslog)
  Readline (GPL license): yes (see --with-readline --enable-gpl)
  gmp:                    no (see --with-gmp)
  PostgreSQL:             no -L/usr/lib (see --with-postgresql)
  Sqlite:                 embedded  (see --with-sqlite)
  Iconv:                  yes (see --with-iconv)
  Projects:               yes

Changes to ASIS GPL 2013 are in asis-gpl-2013-src-4.9.0.diff. Only
changes necessary for the build are included.

In addition to the above, a new library gnat_util is required by ASIS
and GNATColl. A Sourceforge project to provide this has been set up at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnatutil/; release 4.9.0 is included
here. This is the equivalent of the Debian libgnatvsn.

* Re: ANN: GCC 4.9.0 for Mac OS X Mavericks
@ 2014-05-01  4:00 ` Dan'l Miller
From: Dan'l Miller @ 2014-05-01  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, April 30, 2014 4:12:08 AM UTC-5, Simon Wright wrote:
> GCC 4.9.0, with the GNAT GPL 2013 tools, is available at
>
>   ./configure \
>     --prefix=/opt/gcc-4.9.0 \
>     --build=x86_64-apple-darwin13 \
>     --enable-gpl

Does anyone know of analogous work for releasing GCC 4.9.0 & its GNAT for iOS ARM development?

* Re: ANN: GCC 4.9.0 for Mac OS X Mavericks
@ 2014-05-05 18:44   ` Dan'l Miller
From: Dan'l Miller @ 2014-05-05 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, April 30, 2014 11:00:27 PM UTC-5, Dan'l Miller wrote:

> Does anyone know of analogous work for releasing GCC 4.9.0 & its GNAT for iOS ARM development?

Here is how I understand to develop iOS apps partially in Ada:
0) Install Xcode on Mac.
1) Install Apple's Command-Line Tools from http://developer.apple.com/downloads
2) Install Homebrew
3) Install Homebrew's gcc49.rb on Mac.
4) Cross-compile nonGUI Ada source code to Cortex-A9 (Apple A5), ARMv7 (Apple A6), ARMv8a (Apple A7).
5) Cross-compile glue(-to-Ada) source code and GUI source code in Xcode/LLVM Objective-C or Objective-C++ to same ARM instruction-set.
6) Link the Objective-C[++] and Ada object files together to produce executable for iOS.  Should this step use Xcode's LLVM linker or GCC's linker?
7) Debug GUI & glue in Xcode's debugger for most recent Objective-C[++] features.  Debug Ada source code in GNAT's debugger for Ada symbol support.

The keyword here truly is homebrew.  Does anyone have any better technique?  Does anyone know of a better-supported Ada development environment for cross-compiling to iOS?

* Re: ANN: GCC 4.9.0 for Mac OS X Mavericks
@ 2014-05-05 19:38     ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2014-05-05 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Dan'l Miller" <optikos@verizon.net> writes:

> 6) Link the Objective-C[++] and Ada object files together to produce
> executable for iOS.  Should this step use Xcode's LLVM linker or GCC's
> linker?

I don't know if this is relevant, but all the native GNATs I've come
across/built use Apple's binary tools. (well, I see there are gcc-ar,
gcc-nm, gcc-ranlib ...)

* Re: ANN: GCC 4.9.0 for Mac OS X Mavericks
@ 2014-05-06 10:08     ` kylix
From: kylix @ 2014-05-06 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 2:44:14 AM UTC+8, Dan'l Miller wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 30, 2014 11:00:27 PM UTC-5, Dan'l Miller wrote:
>

> > Does anyone know of analogous work for releasing GCC 4.9.0 & its GNAT for iOS ARM development?
>

> Here is how I understand to develop iOS apps partially in Ada:
>
> 0) Install Xcode on Mac.
>
> 1) Install Apple's Command-Line Tools from http://developer.apple.com/downloads
>
> 2) Install Homebrew
>
> 3) Install Homebrew's gcc49.rb on Mac.
>
> 4) Cross-compile nonGUI Ada source code to Cortex-A9 (Apple A5), ARMv7 (Apple A6), ARMv8a (Apple A7).
>
> 5) Cross-compile glue(-to-Ada) source code and GUI source code in Xcode/LLVM Objective-C or Objective-C++ to same ARM instruction-set.
>
> 6) Link the Objective-C[++] and Ada object files together to produce executable for iOS.  Should this step use Xcode's LLVM linker or GCC's linker?
>
> 7) Debug GUI & glue in Xcode's debugger for most recent Objective-C[++] features.  Debug Ada source code in GNAT's debugger for Ada symbol support.
>

> The keyword here truly is homebrew.  Does anyone have any better technique?  Does anyone know of a better-supported Ada development environment for cross-compiling to iOS?

I try port my Ada SDL game to iphone, and found clang is the only way, so you can't use Ada develop app for ios. Some open source projects hack other languages (such as golang, haskell) work on jailbroken iphone, but i don't think that fit your desire.

* Re: ANN: GCC 4.9.0 for Mac OS X Mavericks
@ 2014-05-06 11:06       ` Dan'l Miller
From: Dan'l Miller @ 2014-05-06 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 5:08:39 AM UTC-5, kylix wrote:

> I try port my Ada SDL game to iphone, and found clang is the only way, so you can't use Ada develop
> app for ios. Some open source projects hack other languages (such as golang, haskell) work on
> jailbroken iphone, but i don't think that fit your desire.

What was the blocking obstacle that you could not fix regarding linking Clang-compiled Objective-C or Objective-C++ with GCC-compiled Ada?  (I am not interested in fully replacing Clang-compiled Objective-C[++] for iOS's UI with Ada--only using Ada the way that Apple recommends using C++ with Objective-C++ as invoked by Objective-C[++].)

* Re: ANN: GCC 4.9.0 for Mac OS X Mavericks
@ 2014-05-06 15:03         ` kylix
From: kylix @ 2014-05-06 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 7:06:11 PM UTC+8, Dan'l Miller wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 5:08:39 AM UTC-5, kylix wrote:
>

> > I try port my Ada SDL game to iphone, and found clang is the only way, so you can't use Ada develop
>
> > app for ios. Some open source projects hack other languages (such as golang, haskell) work on
>
> > jailbroken iphone, but i don't think that fit your desire.
>

> What was the blocking obstacle that you could not fix regarding linking Clang-compiled Objective-C or Objective-C++ with GCC-compiled Ada?  (I am not interested in fully replacing Clang-compiled Objective-C[++] for iOS's UI with Ada--only using Ada the way that Apple recommends using C++ with Objective-C++ as invoked by Objective-C[++].

On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 7:06:11 PM UTC+8, Dan'l Miller wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 5:08:39 AM UTC-5, kylix wrote:
>

> > I try port my Ada SDL game to iphone, and found clang is the only way, so you can't use Ada develop
>
> > app for ios. Some open source projects hack other languages (such as golang, haskell) work on
>
> > jailbroken iphone, but i don't think that fit your desire.
>

> What was the blocking obstacle that you could not fix regarding linking Clang-compiled Objective-C or Objective-C++ with GCC-compiled Ada?  (I am not interested in fully replacing Clang-compiled Objective-C[++] for iOS's UI with Ada--only using Ada the way that Apple recommends using C++ with Objective-C++ as invoked by Objective-C[++].)

I look at apple gcc 4.2 source, found apple make a lot patches to gcc source code, so if we want to make new version gcc work around with iOS, too many works need to do. I also try dragonegg, make it work on my macbook, but unfortunely it does not support arm-apple-darwin target.

* Re: ANN: GCC 4.9.0 for Mac OS X Mavericks
@ 2014-05-06 17:52           ` Dan'l Miller
From: Dan'l Miller @ 2014-05-06 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 10:03:57 AM UTC-5, kylix wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 7:06:11 PM UTC+8, Dan'l Miller wrote:
>
> > What was the blocking obstacle that you could not fix regarding linking Clang-compiled Objective-C
> > or Objective-C++ with GCC-compiled Ada?  (I am not interested in fully replacing Clang-compiled
> > Objective-C[++] for iOS's UI with Ada--only using Ada the way that Apple recommends using C++
> > with Objective-C++ as invoked by Objective-C[++].)
>
> I look at apple gcc 4.2 source, found apple make a lot patches to gcc source code, so if we want to make
> new version gcc work around with iOS, too many works need to do. I also try dragonegg, make it work
> on my macbook, but unfortunely it does not support arm-apple-darwin target.

Does anyone know:

Of the patches that Apple made to GCC 4.2, how many are localized to Objective-C, Objective-C++, C, and C++ front-ends?  (These would not affect linking Clang/LLVM-compiled code to GNAT-compiled libraries, other than the automated binding generation from C, which can be avoided for the time being.)  (Again, the focus here is linking Clang/LLVM-compiled Objective-C[++] object-files for UI layers of an app to GNAT-compiled object-files for nonUI layers of an app.)

Of the patches that Apple made to GCC 4.2, how many were to the back-end?  Of those, how many were never pulled forward (or ported) to the mainline of GCC 4.3 and later?  Of those, how many were affecting only Intel-based Mac proper, not the cross-compilation to ARM devices?   I suspect that this narrowing of focus results in drastically fewer ARM-iOS patches that either never showed up in GCC 4.9 or that have undergone software-rot due to infrequent use/maintenance since Apple switched to Clang/LLVM.

Mac(-proper) developers for Intel processors who use the GCC 4.8 & 4.9 GNAT compiler (but who do not develop in GNAT for ARM-based devices) should have some feel for the stability of the drastically-post-4.2 GCC compiler releases for all the patches other than the ones specifically for arm-apple-darwin.  Any insights on these non-ARM patches, GNAT users on Intel-based Mac:  are drastically-post-4.2 GCC releases (especially GNAT releases) stable for Ada-on-Mac development?

* Re: ANN: GCC 4.9.0 for Mac OS X Mavericks
@ 2014-05-06 19:05             ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2014-05-06 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Dan'l Miller" <optikos@verizon.net> writes:

> Mac(-proper) developers for Intel processors who use the GCC 4.8 & 4.9
> GNAT compiler (but who do not develop in GNAT for ARM-based devices)
> should have some feel for the stability of the drastically-post-4.2
> GCC compiler releases for all the patches other than the ones
> specifically for arm-apple-darwin.  Any insights on these non-ARM
> patches, GNAT users on Intel-based Mac: are drastically-post-4.2 GCC
> releases (especially GNAT releases) stable for Ada-on-Mac development?

I have no idea whether I qualify here; and I've never developed a Mac
app (ie, one with Apple GUI).

The problems I've encountered have been to do with exceptions
(changes/errors in stack unwinding on Darwin 10, which were fixed before
GCC 4.5 - I think) and an annoying one to do with ranlib -c (-c is
deprecated by Apple, and we managed to get it out of gnatmake, but it's
still there in gprbuild).

So, pretty stable.

* Re: ANN: GCC 4.9.0 for Mac OS X Mavericks
@ 2014-05-08  9:09     ` Blady
From: Blady @ 2014-05-08  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I did nearly same on native MacOS target with XCode and GNAT GPL.
See post messages on GNAT for Mac OS X User List
(http://hermes.gwu.edu/archives/gnat-osx.html):

- first progress status:
https://hermes.gwu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1303&L=gnat-osx&F=&S=&P=68

- small example:
https://hermes.gwu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1306&L=gnat-osx&F=&S=&P=67

HTH, Pascal.
http://blady.pagesperso-orange.fr

@ 2014-05-08 18:10       ` Dan'l Miller
From: Dan'l Miller @ 2014-05-08 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, May 8, 2014 4:09:38 AM UTC-5, Blady wrote:
> I did nearly same on native MacOS target with XCode and GNAT GPL.
> [...snip...]
> - first progress status:
> https://hermes.gwu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1303&L=gnat-osx&F=&S=&P=68

Fascinating!  Which version of GCC did you use for this work in 2013?  Any further progress since then?

* Re: ANN: GCC 4.9.0 for Mac OS X Mavericks
@ 2014-05-11 18:41       ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2014-05-11 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Blady <p.p11@orange.fr> writes:

> I did nearly same on native MacOS target with XCode and GNAT GPL.
> See post messages on GNAT for Mac OS X User List
> (http://hermes.gwu.edu/archives/gnat-osx.html):
>
> - first progress status:
> https://hermes.gwu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1303&L=gnat-osx&F=&S=&P=68
>
> - small example:
> https://hermes.gwu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1306&L=gnat-osx&F=&S=&P=67

The example works fine with 4.9.0; though the hex string in the middle
is different,

Bibli1.Affiche
00007FD58AC02400       <<<<
Classe01

* Re: ANN: GCC 4.9.0 for Mac OS X Mavericks
@ 2014-05-12  3:33         ` Dan'l Miller
From: Dan'l Miller @ 2014-05-12  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, May 11, 2014 1:41:26 PM UTC-5, Simon Wright wrote:
> The example works fine with 4.9.0; though the hex string in the middle
> is different,

That is great news!

* Re: ANN: GCC 4.9.0 for Mac OS X Mavericks
@ 2014-05-12 19:34         ` Blady
From: Blady @ 2014-05-12 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 08/05/2014 20:10, Dan'l Miller a écrit :
> On Thursday, May 8, 2014 4:09:38 AM UTC-5, Blady wrote:
>> I did nearly same on native MacOS target with XCode and GNAT GPL.
>> [...snip...]
>> - first progress status:
>> https://hermes.gwu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1303&L=gnat-osx&F=&S=&P=68
>
> Fascinating!  Which version of GCC did you use for this work in 2013?  Any further progress since then?

Thanks, I've used GNAT GPL 2013, though, as Simon said about GCC 4.9,
any compiler should be suitable.

Thus encouraged by these trails, I began to translate Objective-C
runtime and Cocoa API.
But some choices are not so evident, see:
https://hermes.gwu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1304&L=gnat-osx&F=&S=&P=528

And there wasn't so much feedback :-(

However, the idea is challenging, if anyone is interested in, I began a
translator from Objective-C header to Ada.

Regards, Pascal.

@ 2014-10-11 22:48 ` marioeroy
From: marioeroy @ 2014-10-11 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, April 30, 2014 5:12:08 AM UTC-4, Simon Wright wrote:

> The command 'gnat', as originally build, failed with SIGSEGV. It was
>
> rebuilt on its own, using the project file gnatcmd.gpr, and no longer
>
> failed; the working version is provided.

I could not get the work around using gprbuild to work on Mavericks 10.9.5. The gnat -v (specifying an invalid argument) still crashes. After many attempts have finally tracked this down.

One needs to pass --with-host-libstdcxx=-lstdc++ when configuring GCC. Gnat will no longer SIGSEGV after make install.

I used gnat-gpl-2014-x86_64-apple-darwin12.5.0 to build a recent 4.9 revision from the 4.9 branch.

svn export -r 216107 svn://gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/branches/gcc-4_9-branch gcc-4.9-20141010

Remember to pass along --with-host-libstdcxx=-lstdc++ when configuring GCC. That's it.

Regards,
Mario

Notes: Some sites out there suggest running with LDFLAGS=-lgcc_eh make ...

That will work and the build process will seem to have succeeded. However, the gnat -v (testing an invalid argument) will still crash. Instead, --with-host-libstdcxx=-lstdc++ is needed when configuring GCC. -lgcc_eh is not necessary when building GCC.