From: CONDIC@PSAVAX.PWFL.COM
Subject: Re: GNAT NT & Ada.Direct_IO
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 10:43:47 EST
Date: 1995-01-13T10:43:47-05:00	[thread overview]

From: Marin David Condic, 407.796.8997, M/S 731-93
Original_To:  PROFS%"SMTP@PWAGPDB"
Original_cc:  CONDIC

Robert Dewar <dewar@CS.NYU.EDU> writes:

>I don't want to do it always, that would be too annoying to most users
>I think ??? Of course there is a verbose option now that displays the

Lots of products put out copyright notices, product info, etc.
every time they fire up. It may be annoying, but I think most of
us are used to it by now. Besides, on a command line based
application, a couple of lines of output has very little, if any,
impact on your life. (Doesn't really slow anything down, eh?) It
might be better to make this the default mode and include a
-quiet switch, rather than a -verbose switch. That way, you're
sure the user has seen the notice at least once.

>I am a little reluctant actually to unconditionally output this on listings,
>because then all students see this message, and we already get too many

Well, unfortunately, you can't have it both ways. A well
publicized e-address for registering bug reports, etc. cures the
problem of people not knowing where to send the reports. It will
also have the consequence of increasing the junk-mail.

You might consider having a canned response which is
automatically sent back to every submitter - something like "We
get tons of mail, so we don't have time to answer all the
bonehead questions. Here's a FAQ which will probably point you in
the right direction and we'll ignore you if your question was
addressed in the FAQ. And oh, by the way, check out this file of
closed out bug reports periodically to see if your's was dealt
with - otherwise leave us alone. You should be glad we bothered
to give you any software at all, so bellyaching over our
unwillingness to take a deep personal interest in your piddly
little problems isn't going to do much good. So sit down, stop
your whining and get back to work!"

You might consider making the response a bit more diplomatic. I'm
not destined for an exciting new career in customer relations.

Pax,
Marin

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        407.796.8997
M/S 731-93                                      Technet:    796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
P.O. Box 109600                                 Internet:   MDCONDIC@AOL.COM
West Palm Beach, FL 33410-9600
    "If nobody else was violent, I could conquer the whole stupid
    planet with a butter knife"

        -- Dogbert