From: dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: GNAT NT & Ada.Direct_IO
Date: 12 Jan 1995 08:57:15 -0500
Date: 1995-01-12T08:57:15-05:00	[thread overview]

Marin Condic suggests that GNAT display version and bug information etc.
always, in listings, and on errors.

I don't want to do it always, that would be too annoying to most users
I think ??? Of course there is a verbose option now that displays the
version (-gnatv) and it is not a bad idea to make this also print the
send bug information to message. Right now, -gnatv gives:

NYU GNAT Compiler Version 2.01w (C) Copyright NYU, 1992,1993,1994

for example.

We do give full information on submitting bugs if a bomb occurs that we can
intercept. Right now we are not intercepting signals, which is unfortuate,
and we are trying to fix this obvious shortcoming.

Program listings (obtained with the -gnatl option) also contain the version
information, and could perhaps include the send bug information message.

I am a little reluctant actually to unconditionally output this on listings,
because then all students see this message, and we already get too many
messages from beginning students asking us how Ada works :-)  This morning
I got a message which roughly said:

 "I am very enthusiastic about Ada 9X, and I understand it has object
  oriented facilities, can you please email me a complete description
  of how these are used".

:-)