* Missing Ada components in Ubuntu
@ 2008-05-25 15:22 Adrian Hoe
From: Adrian Hoe @ 2008-05-25 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Sorry to trouble you, but I have no idea where I am supposed to post
this. I have posted in Ubuntu forum and AWS list. I guess it will be
no harm to post this here.

I was trying to install AWS shared library packages by Ubuntu but it
seemed there was a broken dependency. So I decided to build AWS
myself.

I got some errors and apparently, AWS could not find a-calfor.ad[sb]
(Ada.Calendar.Formatting) and a-catizo.ad[sb]
(Ada.Calendar.Time_Zones). AWS depends on these to build.

Has anyone successfully build AWS on Ubuntu? Why these Ada packages
are not included (or left out)? I can find these packages in gnat on
Mac OS X.

I am using both 32- and 64-bit Hardy Heron. Both gnat-4.1 and gnat-4.2
have no such packages.

Any ideas?
--
Adrian Hoe
http://adrianhoe.com/adrianhoe/

* Re: Missing Ada components in Ubuntu
@ 2008-05-25 18:29 ` Sebastien Morand
From: Sebastien Morand @ 2008-05-25 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just compiled AWS under ubuntu so I can help you.

First, you have to compile gcc-4.3 because you can't compile aws-2.3.0 without
it and there is no package in ubuntu.
To compile gcc, you have to get the sources and configure the stuff be sure, to
compile the ada langueage (it will be shown during configure).
Afterwards you run make bootstrap and that's all.

It's a bit long but it works.

Then to compile aws and any ada stuff with gcc 4.3 you have to configure CC var.
For instance :
export CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc if gcc is installed in /usr/local (default)

I recomand you to compile xmlada and asis if you want to.

The thing is Ada.Calendar.Formatting is a library not implemented but in the
version 4.3 ... so no choice to use it.

I'll be happy to help you in any way if you have any problem compiling this stuff.

And believe me, it worth it :-)

Sebastien

@ 2008-05-26  1:28   ` Adrian Hoe
From: Adrian Hoe @ 2008-05-26  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 26, 2:29 am, Sebastien Morand <seb.mor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just compiled AWS under ubuntu so I can help you.
>
> First, you have to compile gcc-4.3 because you can't compile aws-2.3.0 without
> it and there is no package in ubuntu.
> To compile gcc, you have to get the sources and configure the stuff be sure, to
> compile the ada langueage (it will be shown during configure).
> Afterwards you run make bootstrap and that's all.
>
> It's a bit long but it works.
>
> Then to compile aws and any ada stuff with gcc 4.3 you have to configure CC var.
> For instance :
> export CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc if gcc is installed in /usr/local (default)
>
> I recomand you to compile xmlada and asis if you want to.
>
> The thing is Ada.Calendar.Formatting is a library not implemented but in the
> version 4.3 ... so no choice to use it.
>
> I'll be happy to help you in any way if you have any problem compiling this stuff.
>
> And believe me, it worth it :-)
>
> Sebastien

There is gnat-4.3 in Ubuntu Intrepid. Have you tried that? I don't
know how to download and install from Intrepid. Any ideas?

http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/devel/

--

@ 2008-05-26  7:47 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2008-05-26  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adrian Hoe wrote:
> Sorry to trouble you, but I have no idea where I am supposed to post
> this. I have posted in Ubuntu forum and AWS list. I guess it will be
> no harm to post this here.
>
> I was trying to install AWS shared library packages by Ubuntu but it
> seemed there was a broken dependency. So I decided to build AWS
> myself.

The packages are not by Ubuntu; they are by me and are from Debian.
The problem is that Ubuntu 8.04 breaks some dependencies by not
providing certain packages, as you discovered. If you want a stable
development platform for Ada, your life would me much simpler if you
would use Debian stable, which contains AWS precompiled with no broken
dependencies.

If you want the bleeding edge (i.e. gnat-4.3 and more recent
packages), use Debian unstable. Ubuntu lags behind Debian; that's what
you get for using a derivative and not the original :)

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Missing Ada components in Ubuntu
@ 2008-05-26  8:53   ` Adrian Hoe
From: Adrian Hoe @ 2008-05-26  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 26, 3:47 pm, Ludovic Brenta <ludo...@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:
> Adrian Hoe wrote:
> > Sorry to trouble you, but I have no idea where I am supposed to post
> > this. I have posted in Ubuntu forum and AWS list. I guess it will be
> > no harm to post this here.
>
> > I was trying to install AWS shared library packages by Ubuntu but it
> > seemed there was a broken dependency. So I decided to build AWS
> > myself.
>
> The packages are not by Ubuntu; they are by me and are from Debian.
> The problem is that Ubuntu 8.04 breaks some dependencies by not
> providing certain packages, as you discovered. If you want a stable
> development platform for Ada, your life would me much simpler if you
> would use Debian stable, which contains AWS precompiled with no broken
> dependencies.
>
> If you want the bleeding edge (i.e. gnat-4.3 and more recent
> packages), use Debian unstable. Ubuntu lags behind Debian; that's what
> you get for using a derivative and not the original :)
>
> --
> Ludovic Brenta.

The problem is, I moved from Debian to Ubuntu. :( As a matter of fact,
Ubuntu's installation is a lot easier than Debian, according to my
experience.

But Debian's Etch distributes up to gnat-4.1. My development
environment on Mac OS X is gnat-4.4, so gnat-4.3 is pretty much closer
to that. I don't know what is the big difference between 4.1, 4.3 and
4.4. I haven't followed the development of Ada/gnat compiler for a
while.
--

@ 2008-05-26  9:10     ` Sébastien
From: Sébastien @ 2008-05-26  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> There is gnat-4.3 in Ubuntu Intrepid. Have you tried that? I don't
> know how to download and install from Intrepid. Any ideas?

I didn't know. The thing is, my Ubuntu are production Ubuntu server, so
I can't do what I want and take the risk to have broken package.

Anyway to install from Intrepid I think you have to reinstall ubuntu
since intrepid in the 8.1 version of ubuntu, then you'll be able to get
the gnat-4.3 in a stable way using the devel package

I suppose in the sources list some think like :
deb http://packages.ubuntu.com intreprid devel
should work.

But be carefull, if you had this line and you don't install ubuntu
intreprid 8.1 you could get bad surprise.

This kind of stuff is the reason I change for FreeBSD, where everything
is smoother :-)

Sebastien

* Re: Missing Ada components in Ubuntu
@ 2008-05-26  9:11     ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2008-05-26  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adrian Hoe schrieb:

> The problem is, I moved from Debian to Ubuntu. :( As a matter of fact,
> Ubuntu's installation is a lot easier than Debian, according to my
> experience.

Ubuntu is to meet modern desktop expectations, so it is easier
to install, and, ooops, sound tends to work. :-) OTOH, since GNAT
work in Debian is always ahead, and is work in progress, why
not get one of the free virtualization programs and run a Debian
within it. This works nicely and leaves room for experiments.

>  I don't know what is the big difference between 4.1, 4.3 and
> 4.4.

Lots of support for current Ada is being added.
The anonymous access desease is spreading ;-)

* Re: Missing Ada components in Ubuntu
@ 2008-05-26  9:12     ` Sébastien
From: Sébastien @ 2008-05-26  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The problem is, I moved from Debian to Ubuntu. :( As a matter of fact,
> Ubuntu's installation is a lot easier than Debian, according to my
> experience.
>
> But Debian's Etch distributes up to gnat-4.1. My development
> environment on Mac OS X is gnat-4.4, so gnat-4.3 is pretty much closer
> to that. I don't know what is the big difference between 4.1, 4.3 and
> 4.4. I haven't followed the development of Ada/gnat compiler for a
> while.

The big difference is in the bug fixes (I met some of them in 4.1 and
got then fixed moving to 4.3) and some implementation of the Ada
standard Library (like you notice the Ada.Calendar.Formating is missing
in the 4.1).

You can't make a good developpement using AWS in 4.1, I try and move on
to 4.3 quickly ...

Sebastien

* Re: Missing Ada components in Ubuntu
@ 2008-05-26 10:03     ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2008-05-26 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adrian Hoe wrote:
> The problem is, I moved from Debian to Ubuntu. :( As a matter of fact,
> Ubuntu's installation is a lot easier than Debian, according to my
> experience.

I don't see this as very relevant. Ask yourself these two questions:
a) how many time do you install an operating system on your computer?
b) how many time do you compile your Ada program on your computer?

My answers are: a) 1 and b) many times a day. Therefore, I would
choose anm operating system that is optimised for b).

> But Debian's Etch distributes up to gnat-4.1. My development
> environment on Mac OS X is gnat-4.4, so gnat-4.3 is pretty much closer
> to that. I don't know what is the big difference between 4.1, 4.3 and
> 4.4. I haven't followed the development of Ada/gnat compiler for a
> while.

I am confused. If your development platform is Mac OS X, why do you
use Ubuntu? If you want something stable, why don't you use Debian
stable? If you don't know the differences between gnat-4.1, gnat-4.3
and gnat-4.4, why do you think you need any one in particular? If you
want a reliable compiler, why do you use gnat-4.4 which is in stage 1,
probably one year from release, and very unstable because major
changes occur in it every single day?

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Missing Ada components in Ubuntu
@ 2008-05-26 10:06       ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2008-05-26 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus wrote:
> OTOH, since GNAT
> work in Debian is always ahead, and is work in progress, why
> not get one of the free virtualization programs and run a Debian
> within it. This works nicely and leaves room for experiments.

That's not necessary. A chroot is sufficient. One can run Debian
stable, Debian testing and Debian unstable in different chroots on top
of an Ubuntu (or Gentoo, or Red Hat or whatever) installation. I
should know. The ada-france server runs Gentoo and has a Debian stable
chroot in it.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Missing Ada components in Ubuntu
@ 2008-05-26 10:16       ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2008-05-26 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sébastien wrote:
> You can't make a good developpement using AWS in 4.1, I try and move on
> to 4.3 quickly ...

That's not quite true. Debian 4.0 "Etch" is a pretty good development
platform using gnat-4.1 and AWS 2.2. Of course your definition of
"good" may not be the same as mine :)

If you want the unstable bleeding edge, use gnat-4.3 from Debian
unstable (there is a new and improved upload from Saturday, i.e. 2
days ago) and build AWS 2.5 (even more bleeding-edge than 2.3) from
the in-progress, not-yet-uploaded packaging scripts which are
published here:

http://www.ada-france.org:8081/branch/changes/org.debian.libaws

BTW, if you you can go so far as to build AWS for yourself, I suggest
you cooperate with me on Debian unstable rather than duplicate work in
isolation.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Missing Ada components in Ubuntu
@ 2008-05-26 13:41         ` Sébastien
From: Sébastien @ 2008-05-26 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta a �crit :
> S�bastien wrote:
>> You can't make a good developpement using AWS in 4.1, I try and move on
>> to 4.3 quickly ...
>
> That's not quite true. Debian 4.0 "Etch" is a pretty good development
> platform using gnat-4.1 and AWS 2.2. Of course your definition of
> "good" may not be the same as mine :)

Actually, since AWS stable is 2.3, I was speaking about using 2.3 for
developpement ;-)

> If you want the unstable bleeding edge, use gnat-4.3 from Debian
> unstable (there is a new and improved upload from Saturday, i.e. 2
> days ago) and build AWS 2.5 (even more bleeding-edge than 2.3) from
> the in-progress, not-yet-uploaded packaging scripts which are
> published here:
>
> http://www.ada-france.org:8081/branch/changes/org.debian.libaws
>
> BTW, if you you can go so far as to build AWS for yourself, I suggest
> you cooperate with me on Debian unstable rather than duplicate work in
> isolation.

I'm interested in any participation of this kind of project. I tried to
get contacts with the maintener of FreeBSD package, but i got no answer
for a while. I would like to provide a nice ada environement on this
plateforme, since severa things are missing, like xmlada, ASIS and AWS.

Sebastien

* Re: Missing Ada components in Ubuntu
@ 2008-05-26 13:52           ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2008-05-26 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sébastien wrote:
> I'm interested in any participation of this kind of project. I tried to
> get contacts with the maintener of FreeBSD package, but i got no answer
> for a while. I would like to provide a nice ada environement on this
> plateforme, since severa things are missing, like xmlada, ASIS and AWS.

OK, maybe I'll start looking chauvinistic, but have you checked
http://www.debian.org/ports/kfreebsd-gnu/ ?

I'm pretty sure you could install that in a FreeBSD jail if you don't
want to make it your main platform.

Otherwise, you're welcome to join the FreeBSD Ada maintenance team...
if you can find them that is.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Missing Ada components in Ubuntu
@ 2008-05-26 14:25       ` Adrian Hoe
From: Adrian Hoe @ 2008-05-26 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 26, 6:03 pm, Ludovic Brenta <ludo...@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:
> Adrian Hoe wrote:
> > The problem is, I moved from Debian to Ubuntu. :( As a matter of fact,
> > Ubuntu's installation is a lot easier than Debian, according to my
> > experience.
>
> I don't see this as very relevant. Ask yourself these two questions:
> a) how many time do you install an operating system on your computer?
> b) how many time do you compile your Ada program on your computer?
>
> My answers are: a) 1 and b) many times a day. Therefore, I would
> choose anm operating system that is optimised for b).
>
> > But Debian's Etch distributes up to gnat-4.1. My development
> > environment on Mac OS X is gnat-4.4, so gnat-4.3 is pretty much closer
> > to that. I don't know what is the big difference between 4.1, 4.3 and
> > 4.4. I haven't followed the development of Ada/gnat compiler for a
> > while.
>
> I am confused. If your development platform is Mac OS X, why do you
> use Ubuntu? If you want something stable, why don't you use Debian
> stable? If you don't know the differences between gnat-4.1, gnat-4.3
> and gnat-4.4, why do you think you need any one in particular? If you
> want a reliable compiler, why do you use gnat-4.4 which is in stage 1,
> probably one year from release, and very unstable because major
> changes occur in it every single day?
>
> --
> Ludovic Brenta.

My main development and target platform is Mac OS X and sometimes
Linux as the target platform. This is the first web-enabled
application (with AWS) I am developing. When I switched from Debian to
Ubuntu last year, I wasn't developing with AWS at that time. So,
development went on well on Mac OS X until I tried to build my AWS app
on Ubuntu...

as for gnat-4.4 on Mac OS X, it was recommended. And so far I have no
problem with gnat-4.4.
--

@ 2008-05-26 15:00         ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2008-05-26 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adrian Hoe wrote:
> My main development and target platform is Mac OS X and sometimes
> Linux as the target platform. This is the first web-enabled
> application (with AWS) I am developing. When I switched from Debian to
> Ubuntu last year, I wasn't developing with AWS at that time. So,
> development went on well on Mac OS X until I tried to build my AWS app
> on Ubuntu...
>
> as for gnat-4.4 on Mac OS X, it was recommended. And so far I have no
> problem with gnat-4.4.

OK, now I understand better. You forgot to mention you also "upgraded"
to Ubuntu 8.04, which didn't exist a year ago. This is what broke AWS.

I think your best options are: (a) revert to the previous version of
Ubuntu; use gnat-4.1 and libaws2.2 there; they're not broken and known
stable; (b) upgrade to Debian unstable (perhaps in a chroot); use
gnat-4.3; help me bring libaws2.5 to life and use that.

The risk with (a) is that your application requires Ada 2005 features
not yet present in gnat-4.1.  Otherwise, you can probably port your
application from Mac OS X without too much (or any) trouble. The risk
with (b) is that gnat-4.3 or libaws2.5 has new bugs.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Missing Ada components in Ubuntu
@ 2008-05-27  9:49           ` Sébastien
From: Sébastien @ 2008-05-27  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The risk with (a) is that your application requires Ada 2005 features
> not yet present in gnat-4.1.  Otherwise, you can probably port your
> application from Mac OS X without too much (or any) trouble. The risk
> with (b) is that gnat-4.3 or libaws2.5 has new bugs.

In my experience, gnat-4.3 is more stable than gnat-4.1. But about AWS I
can't say anything.

Another point about AWS development, there is some Templates Parser
with some special features developed that looks like nice, but I choose
XML and XSL view using xmlada and a reimplemented Print
function (since the provided xmlada function write on output, and I
needed to write in a string). I can, of course, shared my code.

About AWS, why there is no AWS 2.4? What about xmlada, is it still
maintained?

I don't trust linux upgrades, got too many problems with them (one of
the reason I move on FreeBSD actually), maybe you could just reinstall
from scratch a debian unstable?

So maybe it's some elements to help you in your dev.

Sebastien

* [HS] Re: Missing Ada components in Ubuntu
@ 2008-05-27  9:52             ` Sébastien
From: Sébastien @ 2008-05-27  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> OK, maybe I'll start looking chauvinistic, but have you checked
> http://www.debian.org/ports/kfreebsd-gnu/ ?

Yes I knew this project, but I wonder why, do you have any idea, why
using gnu over freebsd kernel, and using plain freebsd distributions
instead?

> I'm pretty sure you could install that in a FreeBSD jail if you don't
> want to make it your main platform.

I could give a try, but I'm running out of time right now, and prefer
make a port directly on FreeBSD that is really easier since I spend less
than a few our getting all that stuff compiled and working

> Otherwise, you're welcome to join the FreeBSD Ada maintenance team...
> if you can find them that is.

I'm going to try harder this way and let you know. In any case, I will
be valuable to keep in touch and avoid doing same job twice.

Sebastien

* Re: Debian GNU/kFreeBSD (was: Missing Ada components in Ubuntu)
@ 2008-05-27 10:06               ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2008-05-27 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sébastien wrote:
> > OK, maybe I'll start looking chauvinistic, but have you checked
> > http://www.debian.org/ports/kfreebsd-gnu/ ?
>
> Yes I knew this project, but I wonder why, do you have any idea, why
> using gnu over freebsd kernel, and using plain freebsd distributions
> instead?

Because Debian is a binary distribution (binary packages) whereas the
FreeBSD ports collection is a source distribution (you must recompile
everything from source). This is especially valuable if you run out of
time to compile everything.

Because the existing Ada packages in Debian are better than those in
FreeBSD. This is especially valuable if you run out of time to do your
own packaging.

Because the FreeBSD kernel is more stable and better engineered than
the Linux kernel. This is especially valuable if you run out of time
to tweak your drivers.

I'm not advocating Debian GNU/kFreeBSD, only giving a few subjective
reasons why some might choose it.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Missing Ada components in Ubuntu
@ 2008-05-27 12:25         ` george
From: george @ 2008-05-27 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

>  A chroot is sufficient. One can run Debian
> stable, Debian testing and Debian unstable in different chroots on top
> of an Ubuntu (or Gentoo, or Red Hat or whatever) installation. I
> should know. The ada-france server runs Gentoo and has a Debian stable
> chroot in it.
Just out of curiocity, why? What is missing from Gentoo that the site
uses from Debian? Or is this for some other reason?

George

* Re: Missing Ada components in Ubuntu
@ 2008-05-27 13:06           ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2008-05-27 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

geo...@gentoo.org wrote:
> >  A chroot is sufficient. One can run Debian
> > stable, Debian testing and Debian unstable in different chroots on top
> > of an Ubuntu (or Gentoo, or Red Hat or whatever) installation. I
> > should know. The ada-france server runs Gentoo and has a Debian stable
> > chroot in it.
> Just out of curiocity, why? What is missing from Gentoo that the site
> uses from Debian? Or is this for some other reason?

I created this chroot in order to run a monotone server. IIRC, at that
time in June 2006, monotone (or perhaps monotone-server) was missing
from Gentoo. Another reason is that the server is not powerful, so  I
needed a binary package. Finally, I administer the chroot, I don't
have a lot of time for this, and I am used to Debian.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Missing Ada components in Ubuntu
@ 2008-05-28 19:48             ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2008-05-28 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sébastien writes:
>> The risk with (a) is that your application requires Ada 2005 features
>> not yet present in gnat-4.1.  Otherwise, you can probably port your
>> application from Mac OS X without too much (or any) trouble. The risk
>> with (b) is that gnat-4.3 or libaws2.5 has new bugs.
>
> In my experience, gnat-4.3 is more stable than gnat-4.1. But about AWS I
> can't say anything.
>
> Another point about AWS development, there is some Templates Parser
> with some special features developed that looks like nice, but I choose
> XML and XSL view using xmlada and a reimplemented Print
> function (since the provided xmlada function write on output, and I
> needed to write in a string). I can, of course, shared my code.

Of course, thanks to Debian stable, you can use AWS, XML/Ada,
Templates Parser and ASIS all at the same time in the same program.
So, I don't know what you mean by that.

> About AWS, why there is no AWS 2.4? What about xmlada, is it still
> maintained?

AWS 2.4 was not released as part of any "GNAT GPL" release, but was
probably sent to customers.  If you look at the source history, you
might find it at some point in the past year.

> I don't trust linux upgrades, got too many problems with them (one of
> the reason I move on FreeBSD actually), maybe you could just reinstall
> from scratch a debian unstable?

I have the opposite experience.  I install Debian exactly once per
computer, and then upgrade in place.  Reinstalling from scratch has
never been necessary for me.

> So maybe it's some elements to help you in your dev.

Patches to my packaging scripts are always welcome :)

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Missing Ada components in Ubuntu
@ 2008-05-28 22:58               ` Sebastien Morand
From: Sebastien Morand @ 2008-05-28 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Of course, thanks to Debian stable, you can use AWS, XML/Ada,
> Templates Parser and ASIS all at the same time in the same program.
> So, I don't know what you mean by that.

Print function in XMLADA print only on stdout. Mine print in a string ;-) That
is required to use this in AWS and XML output file.

> I have the opposite experience.  I install Debian exactly once per
> computer, and then upgrade in place.  Reinstalling from scratch has
> never been necessary for me.

Debian could be an exception, that's true, but if you want a debian with new
package you have to use unstable or testing flavour ... good for server anyway,
I use it whenever I can as a server, but I still prefer FreeBSD for desktop :-)

Sebastien

* Re: Missing Ada components in Ubuntu
@ 2008-06-01  1:35           ` Adrian Hoe
From: Adrian Hoe @ 2008-06-01  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 26, 11:00 pm, Ludovic Brenta <ludo...@ludovic-brenta.org>
wrote:
> Adrian Hoe wrote:
> > My main development and target platform is Mac OS X and sometimes
> > Linux as the target platform. This is the first web-enabled
> > application (with AWS) I am developing. When I switched from Debian to
> > Ubuntu last year, I wasn't developing with AWS at that time. So,
> > development went on well on Mac OS X until I tried to build my AWS app
> > on Ubuntu...
>
> > as for gnat-4.4 on Mac OS X, it was recommended. And so far I have no
> > problem with gnat-4.4.
>
> OK, now I understand better. You forgot to mention you also "upgraded"
> to Ubuntu 8.04, which didn't exist a year ago. This is what broke AWS.
>
> I think your best options are: (a) revert to the previous version of
> Ubuntu; use gnat-4.1 and libaws2.2 there; they're not broken and known
> stable; (b) upgrade to Debian unstable (perhaps in a chroot); use
> gnat-4.3; help me bring libaws2.5 to life and use that.
>
> The risk with (a) is that your application requires Ada 2005 features
> not yet present in gnat-4.1.  Otherwise, you can probably port your
> application from Mac OS X without too much (or any) trouble. The risk
> with (b) is that gnat-4.3 or libaws2.5 has new bugs.
>
> --
> Ludovic Brenta.

I think 8.1 is coming soon. I shall wait a while for 8.1. I would love
to help you out but I am short of time to reinstall Debian and build
aws2.5

I am using 2.3 at this moment and so far so good. Will consider
upgrade to 2.5 later after development is in production stage. I plan
to release the Alpha to my client for testing by end of June.

Nothing is definite now. I may build 2.5 who knows. I will let you
know if I have built one.

Thanks.
--

@ 2008-06-01  8:03             ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2008-06-01  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adrian Hoe writes:
> I think [Ubuntu] 8.1 is coming soon. I shall wait a while for 8.1.

Of course, with a 6-month release cycle, there's always a new version
"coming soon".  It's not going to be 8.1 though, it's going to be 8.10
to indicate October 2008 (and 8.04 similarly indicates April 2008).

> I would love to help you out but I am short of time to reinstall
> Debian and build aws2.5

Given the above, the whole question boils down to whether you have
time to wait for another 4 months, and whether Ubuntu 8.10 will repair
the Ada package dependencies that are broken in 8.04.  There is no
guarantee to this.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Missing Ada components in Ubuntu
@ 2008-06-01 14:53               ` Adrian Hoe
From: Adrian Hoe @ 2008-06-01 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 1, 4:03 pm, Ludovic Brenta <ludo...@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:
> Adrian Hoe writes:
> > I think [Ubuntu] 8.1 is coming soon. I shall wait a while for 8.1.
>
> Of course, with a 6-month release cycle, there's always a new version
> "coming soon".  It's not going to be 8.1 though, it's going to be 8.10
> to indicate October 2008 (and 8.04 similarly indicates April 2008).
>
> > I would love to help you out but I am short of time to reinstall
> > Debian and build aws2.5
>
> Given the above, the whole question boils down to whether you have
> time to wait for another 4 months, and whether Ubuntu 8.10 will repair
> the Ada package dependencies that are broken in 8.04.  There is no
> guarantee to this.
>
> --
> Ludovic Brenta.

I am aware of the time lines. But my development has now entered Alpha
stage. I am pushing for Alpha RC1 this weekend. I am still able to
host it on Mac OS X since it is only alpha rc1. Right now, my top
priority is to get it up soonest.

Let say, latest by mid June to have Alpha RC1 up and running, then a
3.5 months to Beta RC1 will be just perfect for Ubuntu 8.10. If by
that time, gnat had not been fixed, then the next solution would be
Debian.
--

@ 2008-06-01 15:15                 ` Adrian Hoe
From: Adrian Hoe @ 2008-06-01 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 1, 10:53 pm, Adrian Hoe <aby...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 1, 4:03 pm, Ludovic Brenta <ludo...@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:
>

> > Adrian Hoe writes:
> > > I think [Ubuntu] 8.1 is coming soon. I shall wait a while for 8.1.
>
> > Of course, with a 6-month release cycle, there's always a new version
> > "coming soon".  It's not going to be 8.1 though, it's going to be 8.10
> > to indicate October 2008 (and 8.04 similarly indicates April 2008).
>
> > > I would love to help you out but I am short of time to reinstall
> > > Debian and build aws2.5
>
> > Given the above, the whole question boils down to whether you have
> > time to wait for another 4 months, and whether Ubuntu 8.10 will repair
> > the Ada package dependencies that are broken in 8.04.  There is no
> > guarantee to this.
>
> > --
> > Ludovic Brenta.
>
> I am aware of the time lines. But my development has now entered Alpha
> stage. I am pushing for Alpha RC1 this weekend. I am still able to
> host it on Mac OS X since it is only alpha rc1. Right now, my top
> priority is to get it up soonest.
>
> Let say, latest by mid June to have Alpha RC1 up and running, then a
> 3.5 months to Beta RC1 will be just perfect for Ubuntu 8.10. If by
> that time, gnat had not been fixed, then the next solution would be
> Debian.
> --
> Adrian Hoehttp://adrianhoe.com/adrianhoe/

Oh, BTW, Debian Etch has only gnat-4.1 stable. Only "sid" (unstable)
or "lenny" has gnat-4.3. Sid is similar to Ubuntu's Intrepid. I still
can't release my product to customer on unstable platform. :(
--

@ 2008-06-01 15:26                   ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2008-06-01 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adrian Hoe writes:
> Oh, BTW, Debian Etch has only gnat-4.1 stable. Only "sid" (unstable)
> or "lenny" has gnat-4.3.

Yes.  I think I did recommend Debian Etch as the current stable
platform.  It has libaws 2.2.  I will continue to recommend Etch
unless you can tell me which features of AWS you need that appeared
after 2.2.

> Sid is similar to Ubuntu's Intrepid.

No, it is the other way around. Debian is the source, the origin.
Ubuntu follows Debian, but occasionally breaks support for some Ada
packages :)

> I still can't release my product to customer on unstable
> platform. :(

Then why do you choose an unstable and broken platform (Ubuntu) to
develop on?

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Missing Ada components in Ubuntu
@ 2008-06-02  1:28                     ` Adrian Hoe
From: Adrian Hoe @ 2008-06-02  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 1, 11:26 pm, Ludovic Brenta <ludo...@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:
> Adrian Hoe writes:
> > Oh, BTW, Debian Etch has only gnat-4.1 stable. Only "sid" (unstable)
> > or "lenny" has gnat-4.3.
>
> Yes.  I think I did recommend Debian Etch as the current stable
> platform.  It has libaws 2.2.  I will continue to recommend Etch
> unless you can tell me which features of AWS you need that appeared
> after 2.2.
>
> > Sid is similar to Ubuntu's Intrepid.
>
> No, it is the other way around. Debian is the source, the origin.
> Ubuntu follows Debian, but occasionally breaks support for some Ada
> packages :)
>
> > I still can't release my product to customer on unstable
> > platform. :(
>
> Then why do you choose an unstable and broken platform (Ubuntu) to
> develop on?
>
> --
> Ludovic Brenta.

No. I didn't choose to develop on Ubuntu. I develop on Mac OS X. The
target at customer site is Ubuntu. Not I choose. Customer has already
had Ubuntu server running. Currently, they are on Feisty and soon
going to upgrade to Hardy.