* users of GNADE MySQL binding?
@ 2009-09-08 11:18 Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2009-09-08 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm considering becomming the Debian maintainer of GNADE.

In going over the code while preparing a release, I realized that the
C structs that had been duplicated in Ada records in the GNADE MySQL
binding are now wrong; they have changed significantly with each MySQL
release, and GNADE has not kept up.

Therefore the MySQL binding in GNADE 1.5.3 (currently in Debian Lenny)
most likely doesn't work, so I'm thinking no one uses it.

Rather than fixing it now, I'm considering dropping that library from
the Debian release. I'll still package the ODBC binding, which does
work with MySQL.

Any objections? Comments?

I still need to review the other GNADE bindings, to Sqlite3 and
Postgre, for similar issues.

Previous versions of the GNADE Debian package included the Sqlite
binding; this will be the first to include Sqlite3 instead. Does
anyone still use Sqlite (not Sqlite3)? It would not be very hard to
include both, aside from the effort required to review the C bindings.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: users of GNADE MySQL binding?
@ 2009-09-12 23:55 ` Björn Persson
From: Björn Persson @ 2009-09-12 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake wrote:

> I'm considering becomming the Debian maintainer of GNADE.
>
> In going over the code while preparing a release, I realized that the
> C structs that had been duplicated in Ada records in the GNADE MySQL
> binding are now wrong; they have changed significantly with each MySQL
> release, and GNADE has not kept up.
>
> Therefore the MySQL binding in GNADE 1.5.3 (currently in Debian Lenny)
> most likely doesn't work, so I'm thinking no one uses it.

Uh-oh! I'm glad I decided to access MySQL through ODBC.

> Rather than fixing it now, I'm considering dropping that library from
> the Debian release. I'll still package the ODBC binding, which does
> work with MySQL.
>
> Any objections? Comments?

No objection from me, as I'm only using the ODBC binding.

Have you seen my patch to the size comparisons in the generic versions of
SQLBindCol and SQLBindParameter?

--
Bj�rn Persson
PGP key A88682FD

* Re: users of GNADE MySQL binding?
@ 2009-09-13 10:54   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2009-09-13 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bj�rn Persson <bjorn@xn--rombobjrn-67a.se> writes:

> Stephen Leake wrote:
>
>> I'm considering becomming the Debian maintainer of GNADE.
>>
>> In going over the code while preparing a release, I realized that the
>> C structs that had been duplicated in Ada records in the GNADE MySQL
>> binding are now wrong; they have changed significantly with each MySQL
>> release, and GNADE has not kept up.
>>
>> Therefore the MySQL binding in GNADE 1.5.3 (currently in Debian Lenny)
>> most likely doesn't work, so I'm thinking no one uses it.
>
> Uh-oh! I'm glad I decided to access MySQL through ODBC.
>
>> Rather than fixing it now, I'm considering dropping that library from
>> the Debian release. I'll still package the ODBC binding, which does
>> work with MySQL.
>>
>> Any objections? Comments?
>
> No objection from me, as I'm only using the ODBC binding.

Ok.

> Have you seen my patch to the size comparisons in the generic versions of
> SQLBindCol and SQLBindParameter?

Yes, it's in my current sources.

--
-- Stephe