* Re: blacklist
       [not found] <36A07532.A360B258@netwood.net>
@ 1999-01-16  0:00 ` Grant Griffin
From: Grant Griffin @ 1999-01-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

E. Robert Tisdale wrote:

> The blacklist database
>
>         http://www.netwood.net/~edwin/comp/dsp/blacklist.html
>
> contains the names of people prone to posting personal attacks
> and libelous remarks, using abusive or threatening rhetoric or
> deceiving and manipulating subscribers to the comp.dsp newsgroup.
> That is to say -- people prone to flaming, spamming and trolling.
>
> New subscribers and other people who read comp.dsp infrequently
> are encouraged to consult the blacklist database before
> responding
> to any posting in the comp.dsp newsgroup.  Responding to anyone
> on the blacklist could have very unpleasant consequences.
>
> E. Robert Tisdale <edwin@netwood.net>

To those of you not in comp.dsp:

I've done a little research recently which shows that Mr. E. Robert
Tisdale has been involved in your newsgroup.  Mr. Tisdale has appointed
himself Policeman of the comp.dsp newsgroup by creating this blacklist.
No one in comp.dsp has asked for Mr. Tisdale's blacklist, and no one has
endorsed it.  As with all Usenet Policemen, Mr. Tisdale has appointed
himself, and his opinions are strictly his own.

Please be aware that Mr. Tisdale is VERY SENSITIVE.  If you wish to
reply to any of his questions, please phrase your replies VERY
DELICATELY so you won't hurt his tender feelings.  The safest thing to
do, of course, is just to ignore him entirely; that's the only sure way
to prevent him from appointing himself Policeman of _your_ newsgroup by
creating another blacklist.

Alternatively, you could just have fun with it as we do in comp.dsp, and
ridicule Mr. Tisdale for thinking that he is in charge of Usenet, its
newsgroups, or even his own potty schedule.  I, personally, have taken
this approach, as have most of the other regular contributors to
comp.dsp.  In comp.dsp, we make fun of him for his strange love of Joe
McCarthy-style totalitarianism, his naive misconception of how Usenet
really works, his glaring lack of knowledge and experience in the topics
he expounds upon, his wooden prose, and his pathological absence of a
sense of humor.  If you observe any of these qualities as he involves
himself in _your_ newsgroup, you'll know just what to do. ;-)

If you'd like to learn more about Mr. Tisdale's antics in comp.dsp
and/or the group's reaction to them, here is a search URL from
AltaVista:

<http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?pg=q&what=news&q=%22robert+tisdale%22&search=Search>

Sorry to bother you with this.

best regards,

=g2
Self-Appointed Chairman of Mr. Tisdale's Blacklist
(My views are mine alone and don't necessarily represent those of other
Blacklistee's)

Grant R. Griffin                           grant.griffin@iowegian.com
Iowegian International Corporation	      http://www.iowegian.com

* Re: blacklist
@ 1999-01-17  0:00   ` Al Clark
From: Al Clark @ 1999-01-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <36A07895.6757@iowegian.com>, grant.griffin@iowegian.com wrote:
>E. Robert Tisdale wrote:
>>
>> The blacklist database
>>
>>         http://www.netwood.net/~edwin/comp/dsp/blacklist.html
>>
>> contains the names of people prone to posting personal attacks
>> and libelous remarks, using abusive or threatening rhetoric or
>> deceiving and manipulating subscribers to the comp.dsp newsgroup.
>> That is to say -- people prone to flaming, spamming and trolling.
>>
>> New subscribers and other people who read comp.dsp infrequently
>> are encouraged to consult the blacklist database before
>> responding
>> to any posting in the comp.dsp newsgroup.  Responding to anyone
>> on the blacklist could have very unpleasant consequences.
>>
>> E. Robert Tisdale <edwin@netwood.net>
>
>To those of you not in comp.dsp:

Whether one chooses to follow Mr Tisdale's advice concerning his blacklist, no
one will ever have to consider his advice with regards to DSP. We doesn't have
any. I have to assume that unlike the blacklistees, he doesn't know anything
about the subject. Maybe if we all try really hard to ignore him, he might
find somewhere else to harass since he obviously needs to have his unearned
ego stroked. If you've got it flaunt it, otherwise create a blacklist???

Al Clark

* Re: blacklist
@ 1999-01-17  0:00     ` alexs
From: alexs @ 1999-01-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 17 Jan 1999 21:53:30 GMT, aclark@danvillesignal.com (Al Clark)
wrote:

>Whether one chooses to follow Mr Tisdale's advice concerning his blacklist

Oh, but I have, and there's one person on MY blacklist
(& reader message filter): E.R. Tisdale himself.

Thanks and have a nice day.

* blacklist
@ 2000-08-20  0:00 E. Robert Tisdale
From: E. Robert Tisdale @ 2000-08-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have been considering maintaining and publishing
a blacklist data base for this newsgroup.
The blacklist data base would contain the names
of subscribers who post off-topic articles
to the newsgroup.
New subscribers and infrequent contributors
to the newsgroup would be advised
to consult the blacklist data base before responding
to articles posted in the newsgroup.
There would be, of course, no penalty imposed
upon subscribers who respond off-topic articles
except the penalty imposed by the blacklistee.
That is to say, the blacklist would be self enforcing.

* Re: blacklist
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-08-20  0:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2000-08-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8no8ng$jjn$0@pita.alt.net>, "E. Robert Tisdale" <edwin@netwood.net> writes:
> I have been considering maintaining and publishing
> a blacklist data base for this newsgroup.
> The blacklist data base would contain the names
> of subscribers who post off-topic articles
> to the newsgroup.

I would prefer a blacklist of people who purposefully try to
introduce non-Ada discussion by cross-posting to other groups.
Your post, for instance:

Newsgroups: comp.arch.arithmetic,
            comp.lang.fortran,
            comp.lang.c++,
            comp.arch.embedded,
            comp.lang.ada,
            sci.math.num-analysis,
            comp.dsp,
            rec.scuba.equipment,
            alt.tv.days-f-our-lives

If I cared at all about C++ or Fortran, I would subscribe
to those groups, but otherwise most discussions of those
topics are "off topic" in comp.lang.ada.  I bet there are
C++ and Fortran users who feel the same way about Ada.

So why do you choose to create a joint discussion between
those diverse communities regarding what is "off-topic" ?
The most memorable (to me) "off-topic" discussion in
comp.lang.ada in the past month was your previous cross-posting.

* Re: blacklist
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-08-20  0:00 ` John Larkin
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: John Larkin @ 2000-08-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 20 Aug 2000 03:35:58 -0600, "E. Robert Tisdale"
<edwin@netwood.net> wrote:

>I have been considering maintaining and publishing
>a blacklist data base for this newsgroup.
>The blacklist data base would contain the names
>of subscribers who post off-topic articles
>to the newsgroup.
>New subscribers and infrequent contributors
>to the newsgroup would be advised
>to consult the blacklist data base before responding
>to articles posted in the newsgroup.
>There would be, of course, no penalty imposed
>upon subscribers who respond off-topic articles
>except the penalty imposed by the blacklistee.
>That is to say, the blacklist would be self enforcing.

E,

This suggestion is off-topic.

John

* Forgery
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-08-20  0:00 ` E. Robert Tisdale
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: E. Robert Tisdale @ 2000-08-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"E. Robert Tisdale" wrote:

> I have been considering maintaining and publishing
> a blacklist data base for this newsgroup.
> The blacklist data base would contain the names
> of subscribers who post off-topic articles
> to the newsgroup.
> New subscribers and infrequent contributors
> to the newsgroup would be advised
> to consult the blacklist data base before responding
> to articles posted in the newsgroup.
> There would be, of course, no penalty imposed
> upon subscribers who respond off-topic articles
> except the penalty imposed by the blacklistee.
> That is to say, the blacklist would be self enforcing.

I didn't post this message in any of the above newsgroups.

* Re: blacklist
@ 2000-08-20  0:00 ` wiseguy.invalid
                   ` (10 subsequent siblings)
From: wiseguy.invalid @ 2000-08-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

E. Robert Tisdale wrote:

>I have been considering maintaining and publishing
>a blacklist data base for this newsgroup.
>The blacklist data base would contain the names
>of subscribers who post off-topic articles
>to the newsgroup.
>New subscribers and infrequent contributors
>to the newsgroup would be advised
>to consult the blacklist data base before responding
>to articles posted in the newsgroup.
>There would be, of course, no penalty imposed
>upon subscribers who respond off-topic articles
>except the penalty imposed by the blacklistee.
>That is to say, the blacklist would be self enforcing.

(Crossposted to:
comp.arch.arithmetic,  comp.lang.fortran,    comp.lang.c++,
comp.arch.embedded,    comp.lang.ada,        sci.math.num-analysis,
comp.dsp,              rec.scuba.equipment,  alt.tv.days-of-our-lives)

1. USENET FISH TALES -- HOW TO AVOID BEING TROLLED

Any fisherman can tell you about trolling -- you cast out your line and
slowly drag it along, waiting for some fish to come along and grab the
bait and get hooked.%
It's a time-honored tradition on Usenet as well, one that newcomers can
easily find themselves ensnared in, often to their dismay (and the
delight of the allegedly more experienced trollers who catch them).

1.1 BAITING THE HOOK

The basic idea behind Usenet trolling is to post a ridiculous message and
then sit back and watch as newcomers (and some veterans) try to tear into
it. A really simple troll might be to post a message in a Star Trek
newsgroup telling participants to get a life, or to post something like
"101 Uses for a Dead Cat" in rec.pets.cats. If the troller's lucky, people
will rise to his flame bait, sometimes so vehemently that the newsgroup
becomes engulfed in a flamewar that completely drowns out all other
discussions.

Veteran trollers, however, usually display more subtlety than that.
Sometimes, they start out with seemingly innocuous postings. Over a
period of days, however, their messages grow more strident. And as people
begin to argue with them, the game is on. Sometimes, trollers will go
after a single person they know will bite hard on the proferred bait
(that they know this often indicates that the trollee has, himself,
displayed some behavior others might find objectionable).

This is what happened recently in a flamefest that erupted on several
groups simultaneously. One well known net.personality responded to some
post from a person he finds objectionable with a message that read:

You'll be pleased to know, then, that you have been added to the USENET
Global Killfile, a list of objectionable users whose articles will
automatically be blocked by subscribing sites. At the present, the list
of sites which comply with the
USENET Global Killfile is approximately 82%. <

Your messages will continue to be transmitted from site to site so that
the non-GK using sites will still see them, but users on participating
sites will not be troubled with your messages popping up in their
newsgroups.

The "Organization" line of the header read:
"USENET Central Administration."

The "fish" took the bait, loudly decrying this latest offense by the
Usenet Cabal, the secret group that really runs Usenet. So, too, did a
number of innocent bystanders, who publicly complained about this
egregious attempt at Net-wide censorship. It got worse and worse.
Finally, the subject of the troll posted a message in which he claimed
the original poster had forged the original message from himself and
that because of this fraud, he had visited his local FBI office, where
a sympathetic agent took copious notes on this awful abuse. At this
point, several people jumped into the conversation to tell the person
he'd been the subject of a practical joke and to give it a rest (to no
avail).

1.2 AVOIDING THE WORM

The troller left several clues in his message that it was all a joke.
The most obvious one was its sheer ludicrousness. Given the number of
Usenet systems out there today, the likelihood of getting 82% of them
to agree on anything -- especially something like a universal censor
system -- is remote.

The more subtle clue was the list of newsgroups to which the troller
posted. The last one on the list was misc.test. Now, this is a
newsgroup set up so people can test their Usenet connections. There
are a number of Usenet systems around the world that respond to any
postings in that group with e-mail, letting the poster know where and
when her message was received. So if you see a posting in a Usenet
group that is cross-posted to misc.test, right away you've got a pretty
strong indication that the message is really a troll (as well as an
indication that, if you follow up to the post, you're going to start
getting all these e-mail messages from auto-responding Usenet systems).

So what do you do? If you see a message in your favorite newsgroup that
looks like the sender is just crusin' for a bruisin', first, count to 10.
Just because you *can* reply doesn't mean you have to. Remember that the
best way to deal with annoying on-line people is to ignore them -- they
thrive on making others irate. Check the line in the header that says
which newsgroups the message has been posted to. If there are a number of
them, think to 10 again -- do you really want to start a cross-newsgroup
flamefest where all the groups get taken over by "get this crap out of
this newsgroup" messages?

If you feel you simply HAVE to respond in public, pare down the list of
newsgroups. In most Usenet editors, that's fairly easy to do -- go up to
the "Newsgroups" line and delete the names of newsgroups to which the
message is really inappropriate (including misc.test, alt.test, etc.).
Be careful to keep the remaining names separated by a comma (but no
spaces). And flame away. But count to 10 again, anyway.

* Re: blacklist
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-08-20  0:00 ` S. Peck
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: S. Peck @ 2000-08-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you are using Outlook or Outlook Express, just use the "Block Sender"
from the Tools menu.  No need for public black lists.

E. Robert Tisdale <edwin@netwood.net> wrote in message
> I have been considering maintaining and publishing
> a blacklist data base for this newsgroup.
> The blacklist data base would contain the names
> of subscribers who post off-topic articles
> to the newsgroup.
> New subscribers and infrequent contributors
> to the newsgroup would be advised
> to consult the blacklist data base before responding
> to articles posted in the newsgroup.
> There would be, of course, no penalty imposed
> upon subscribers who respond off-topic articles
> except the penalty imposed by the blacklistee.
> That is to say, the blacklist would be self enforcing.

* Re: blacklist
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-08-20  0:00 ` Chris Hills
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Chris Hills @ 2000-08-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Black lists and witch hunting  are way off topic. Please put yourself at
the top of the list and refrain from posting to the NG again.

As a user of the ONE TRUE PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE, C! I
believe any post that does not mention C, or worse still mentions Mod2
or the arch antichrist ADA should be black listed as well...  (and the
miss guided souls who insist on using an RTOS)

Those who use C and  put the curly brackets in the wrong place will be
tolerated for two posts in the hope that they may be converted to the
One True Style of Curly Bracket Placement.

Whilst we are on the subject perhaps we should also guard against
Commies (they get everywhere) Jews, Catholics, gays and just to show
balance,( because were are sane moral people)  ban the right wing,
BNP, C18, NF, KKK, rapists, drugs dealers, girl scouts  and
foreigners .....

Then there are the Liberals and stamp collectors.... never been sure
about them.

Perhaps we should get everyone to complete a full questionnaire before
they are permitted to use this PUBLIC and UN-MODERATED NG!

Sorry..... haven't been on a soap box for a while... I'm feeling a bit dizzy
I think I will go and have a lie down.....

If you still want a black list why don't you run
comp.arch.embedded.moderated
and do the moderation yourself. You will see how popular your idea is
by the number of people who support you. It should not be a bit task to
moderate it :-)

E. Robert Tisdale <edwin@netwood.net> writes
>I have been considering maintaining and publishing
>a blacklist data base for this newsgroup.
>The blacklist data base would contain the names
>of subscribers who post off-topic articles
>to the newsgroup.
>New subscribers and infrequent contributors
>to the newsgroup would be advised
>to consult the blacklist data base before responding
>to articles posted in the newsgroup.
>There would be, of course, no penalty imposed
>upon subscribers who respond off-topic articles
>except the penalty imposed by the blacklistee.
>That is to say, the blacklist would be self enforcing.

\/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills  Staffs  England    /\/\/\/\/\
/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org       www.phaedsys.org \/\/

* Re: blacklist
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-08-20  0:00 ` Grant Edwards
                   ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: Grant Edwards @ 2000-08-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8no8ng$jjn$0@pita.alt.net>, E. Robert Tisdale wrote:

>I have been considering maintaining and publishing
>a blacklist data base for this newsgroup.

Oh good, the net.police are here.

Whatever.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Hey, wait a
                                  at               minute!! I want a

* Re: Forgery
@ 2000-08-20  0:00   ` Josh Sebastian
From: Josh Sebastian @ 2000-08-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 20 Aug 2000 13:58:28 +0000, "E. Robert Tisdale"
<edwin@netwood.net> wrote:

>"E. Robert Tisdale" wrote:
>
>> I have been considering maintaining and publishing
>> a blacklist data base for this newsgroup.
>> The blacklist data base would contain the names
>> of subscribers who post off-topic articles
>> to the newsgroup.
>> New subscribers and infrequent contributors
>> to the newsgroup would be advised
>> to consult the blacklist data base before responding
>> to articles posted in the newsgroup.
>> There would be, of course, no penalty imposed
>> upon subscribers who respond off-topic articles
>> except the penalty imposed by the blacklistee.
>> That is to say, the blacklist would be self enforcing.
>
>I didn't post this message in any of the above newsgroups.

I believe that Mr. Tisdale did not post the message titled
"Blacklist". If you look at the message headers, you can see several
important differences from the message headers in Mr. Tisdale's
"normal" posts.

Discrepancy #1:
The timezone is different.

Discrepancy #2:
The message-id is different.

Discrepancy #3:
There are fewer HTTP fields in the "Blacklist" header (implying a
different newsreader).

In fact, the only similarities between the header for "Blacklist" and
the headers from Mr. Tisdale's usual posts are the ones that are
easily forged by a novice.

Despite your personal opinion of Mr. Tisdale, slander is totally
uncalled for.

_______

"Yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Josh Sebastian
<curien@earthlink.net>

* Re: blacklist
@ 2000-08-20  0:00 ` Josh Sebastian
                   ` (11 subsequent siblings)
From: Josh Sebastian @ 2000-08-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

<edwin@netwood.net> wrote:

>I have been considering maintaining and publishing
>a blacklist data base for this newsgroup.
>The blacklist data base would contain the names
>of subscribers who post off-topic articles
>to the newsgroup.
>New subscribers and infrequent contributors
>to the newsgroup would be advised
>to consult the blacklist data base before responding
>to articles posted in the newsgroup.
>There would be, of course, no penalty imposed
>upon subscribers who respond off-topic articles
>except the penalty imposed by the blacklistee.
>That is to say, the blacklist would be self enforcing.

I believe that Mr. Tisdale did not post this message. If you look at

@ 2000-08-20  0:00     ` Jason O'Rourke
From: Jason O'Rourke @ 2000-08-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Menten  <mmenten@nospam.com> wrote:
>> I didn't post this message in any of the above newsgroups.
>
>Mr. Tisdale says he did not post the original message.  However, he does
>maintain just such a blacklist on his existing website,
>http://www.netwood.net/~edwin/sci/astro/blacklist.html.

And it's just as lame as the posting, regardless of where it came from.

"Do not respond to them. Just ignore them. Just put their names in your
kill file if you can't ignore them. Otherwise, your name may end up on
this blacklist and in every subscriber's kill file"

--
Jason O'Rourke  jor@best.com   www.jor.com
Last dive @ Aquarium Intake, Monterey.  55 mins @ 53ft depth max

* Re: Forgery
@ 2000-08-20  0:00   ` Michael Menten
From: Michael Menten @ 2000-08-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"E. Robert Tisdale" wrote:

> "E. Robert Tisdale" wrote:
>
> > I have been considering maintaining and publishing
> > a blacklist data base for this newsgroup.
[...]
> I didn't post this message in any of the above newsgroups.

Mr. Tisdale says he did not post the original message.  However, he does
maintain just such a blacklist on his existing website,
http://www.netwood.net/~edwin/sci/astro/blacklist.html.

-M. Menten

* Re: blacklist
@ 2000-08-20  0:00 ` Frank Bemelman
                   ` (9 subsequent siblings)
From: Frank Bemelman @ 2000-08-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

E. Robert Tisdale <edwin@netwood.net> schreef in berichtnieuws
8no8ng$jjn$0@pita.alt.net...
> I have been considering maintaining and publishing
> a blacklist data base for this newsgroup.
> The blacklist data base would contain the names
> of subscribers who post off-topic articles
> to the newsgroup.
> New subscribers and infrequent contributors
> to the newsgroup would be advised
> to consult the blacklist data base before responding
> to articles posted in the newsgroup.
> There would be, of course, no penalty imposed
> upon subscribers who respond off-topic articles
> except the penalty imposed by the blacklistee.
> That is to say, the blacklist would be self enforcing.

Since this is totally off-topic, you can put yourself
at #1 position of your blacklist.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
Frank Bemelman

* Re: Forgery
@ 2000-08-20 23:52     ` Edward
From: Edward @ 2000-08-20 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

why would anyone impersonate Mr. Tisdale?

and two newsgroups do stand out on the list, days of our lives and scuba
equipment.

Who is Mr. Tisdale, is he famous or sumfin?

* Re: Forgery
@ 2000-08-21  0:00         ` Edward
From: Edward @ 2000-08-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

rfbrw <rfbrw@netscapeonline.co.uk> wrote in message
> Good grief man, you mean you've never heard of E-Bob,
> the well known scourge of comp.dsp????
>                          ray

nope... did he do something spectacular?

and who would be blacklisted from rec.scuba.equipment and
alt.tv.days-of-our-lives??? would they incur the blacklist by talking about,
oh I dunno... space equipments and bold and the beautiful characters?

* Re: blacklist
                   ` (9 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-08-21  0:00 ` Shag me rotten, baby!
From: Shag me rotten, baby! @ 2000-08-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Someone tried that once, then everyone wanted to be on the list.
Hey, if you're not on the "A LIST", what's the point of even existing.
Add me to that alternate gray list, please.

       [not found]     ` <8nspr5$69j$6@pita.alt.net>
From: Shag me rotten, baby! @ 2000-08-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey - watch your mouth!  Or I'll get you added to the purple list for a
probationary period.
Then you're on to black list after that!

Grant Edwards <nobody@nowhere.nohow> wrote in message
> In article <8no8ng$jjn$0@pita.alt.net>, E. Robert Tisdale wrote:
>
> >I have been considering maintaining and publishing
> >a blacklist data base for this newsgroup.
>
> Oh good, the net.police are here.
>
> Whatever.
>
> --
> Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Hey, wait a
>                                   at               minute!! I want a
>                                visi.com            divorce!!... you're not
>                                                    Clint Eastwood!!

* Re: blacklist
                   ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-08-21  0:00 ` Shag me rotten, baby!
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Shag me rotten, baby! @ 2000-08-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oh me!  Pick me!  I've always wanted a black belt!
(Uh, wha?  Oh, black "list", not black "belt".  Okay, I'll ask not to join.)

* Re: Forgery
@ 2000-08-21  3:08       ` rfbrw
From: rfbrw @ 2000-08-21  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2000-08-22  0:00   ` E. Robert Tisdale
From: E. Robert Tisdale @ 2000-08-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

E. Robert Tisdale wrote:

> "E. Robert Tisdale" wrote:
>
> > I have been considering maintaining and publishing
> > a blacklist data base for this newsgroup.
> > The blacklist data base would contain the names
> > of subscribers who post off-topic articles
> > to the newsgroup.
> > New subscribers and infrequent contributors
> > to the newsgroup would be advised
> > to consult the blacklist data base before responding
> > to articles posted in the newsgroup.
> > There would be, of course, no penalty imposed
> > upon subscribers who respond off-topic articles
> > except the penalty imposed by the blacklistee.
> > That is to say, the blacklist would be self enforcing.
>
> I didn't post this message in any of the above newsgroups.

I didn't post this message in any of the above newsgroups.

--

Troll in my group, lose your account.
Its that fucking simple

From: E. Robert Tisdale @ 2000-08-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shag me rotten, baby! wrote:

> Hey - watch your mouth!  Or I'll get you added to the purple list for a
> probationary period.
> Then you're on to black list after that!

Another top-posting asshole.

--

@ 2000-08-22  0:00       ` Shag me rotten, baby!
From: Shag me rotten, baby! @ 2000-08-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Uh oh!  That kind of language is going to get you on that gray list, and
eventually black list.
Hmmm . . . Mt. Rogers would never be so happy with that!

Hey Tisdale - LIGHTEN UP, BABY!  FLOW WITH IT, MAN!  TAKE IT EASY, BROTHER!
CHILL OUT, MY MAN!

@ 2000-08-22  0:00       ` Freakologist Society
From: Freakologist Society @ 2000-08-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oh, gosh!  I should be slapped..  You are right.  It is the double-secret
first before black list.
I am so ashamed.

From: E. Robert Tisdale @ 2000-08-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jason O'Rourke wrote:

> E. Robert Tisdale  <edwin@natwood.net> wrote:
> >Troll in my group, lose your account.
> >Its that fucking simple
> >
> >http://www.netwood.net/~edwin/sci/astro/blacklist.html
> >http://www.netwood.net/~edwin/comp/dsp/blacklist.html
>
> You are one silly little man.  It's a good thing you don't really roam
> around in rec.scuba; you couldn't wear the jocks of the people we ridicule
> away.

Just what is it that you put in those tanks, anyway?

You sound like you are breathing oven cleaner.

--

@ 2000-08-22  6:16     ` Jason O'Rourke
From: Jason O'Rourke @ 2000-08-22  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

E. Robert Tisdale  <edwin@natwood.net> wrote:
>Troll in my group, lose your account.
>Its that fucking simple
>
>http://www.netwood.net/~edwin/sci/astro/blacklist.html
>http://www.netwood.net/~edwin/comp/dsp/blacklist.html

You are one silly little man.  It's a good thing you don't really roam
around in rec.scuba; you couldn't wear the jocks of the people we ridicule
away.
--
Jason O'Rourke  jor@best.com   www.jor.com
Last dive @ Aquarium Intake, Monterey.  55 mins @ 53ft depth max

* Re: blacklist-blacklist
                   ` (10 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-08-24  0:22 ` Ralph D. Ungermann
From: Ralph D. Ungermann @ 2000-08-24  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Suggest, we maintain a blacklist of all blacklists, which do not list
themselves.

@ 2000-08-25  0:00         ` Lee Bell
From: Lee Bell @ 2000-08-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

E. Robert Tisdale wrote

> Jason O'Rourke wrote:

> > You are one silly little man.  It's a good thing you don't really roam
> > around in rec.scuba; you couldn't wear the jocks of the people we
ridicule
> > away.

> Just what is it that you put in those tanks, anyway?
> You sound like you are breathing oven cleaner.

We tried it, but found it didn't give us as much bottom time, required more
frequent maintenance of tanks and other equipment and wasn't buoyant enough
when used to inflate a BC.

Lee

* Re: blacklist
@ 2000-09-19  0:00   ` Jim Patterson
From: Jim Patterson @ 2000-09-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Couldn't you have at least waited one more day to post your message?  Then
the post you were responding to would have been a full month old.  :-)

--
Jim Patterson

Josh Sebastian <curien@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2000 03:35:58 -0600, "E. Robert Tisdale"
> <edwin@netwood.net> wrote:
>
> >I have been considering maintaining and publishing
> >a blacklist data base for this newsgroup.
> >The blacklist data base would contain the names
> >of subscribers who post off-topic articles
> >to the newsgroup.
> >New subscribers and infrequent contributors
> >to the newsgroup would be advised
> >to consult the blacklist data base before responding
> >to articles posted in the newsgroup.
> >There would be, of course, no penalty imposed
> >upon subscribers who respond off-topic articles
> >except the penalty imposed by the blacklistee.
> >That is to say, the blacklist would be self enforcing.
>
> I believe that Mr. Tisdale did not post this message. If you look at
> the message headers, you can see several important differences from
> the message headers in Mr. Tisdale's "normal" posts.
>
> Discrepancy #1:
> The timezone is different.
>
> Discrepancy #2:
> The message-id is different.
>
> Discrepancy #3:
> There are fewer HTTP fields in the "Blacklist" header (implying a
> different newsreader).
>
> In fact, the only similarities between the header for "Blacklist" and
> the headers from Mr. Tisdale's usual posts are the ones that are
> easily forged by a novice.
>
> Despite your personal opinion of Mr. Tisdale, slander is totally
> uncalled for.
> _______
>
> "Yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields falsehood when
preceded by its quotation.

> Josh Sebastian
> <curien@earthlink.net>

* Re: blacklist