* GNAT for Alpha
@ 2001-06-28 16:04 Adrian Hoe
From: Adrian Hoe @ 2001-06-28 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Can anyone provide a pointer where to download GNAT for COMPAQ Alpha?

Thanks in advance.

* Re: GNAT for Alpha
@ 2001-06-28 16:22 ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2001-06-28 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adrian:

> Can anyone provide a pointer where to download GNAT for COMPAQ Alpha?

There is one in the "3.12p" directory on the GNAT FTP site
and its mirrors. For example:

http://da.gnuada.org/gnat/3.12p/gnat-3.12p-alpha-dec-osf4.0d-bin.tar.gz

http://de.gnuada.org/gnat/3.12p/gnat-3.12p-alpha-dec-osf4.0d-bin.tar.gz

I doubt that you can find one for Linux on Alpha, but I
would like to know, if you happen to find (or build) one.

Jacob
--
"Alle telnet-d�moner b�r aflives"

* Re: GNAT for Alpha
@ 2001-06-28 18:15 ` James Rogers
From: James Rogers @ 2001-06-28 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

The question about GNAT and Alpha reminded me of a item in my local
newspaper declaring that Intel has (or is in the process of) purchasing
the Compaq Alpha facilities and talent. It appears that Compaq will be
using the Intel Itanium chip technology instead of Alpha.

This leads to another thought. Are there any Ada implementations
targeted to the Itanium chip? Are any in the works. This chip seems
like a good home for Ada.

Jim Rogers
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA

Adrian Hoe wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Can anyone provide a pointer where to download GNAT for COMPAQ Alpha?
>
> Thanks in advance.

* Re: GNAT for Alpha
@ 2001-06-28 21:32 Gautier Write-only-address
From: Gautier Write-only-address @ 2001-06-28 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

>Can anyone provide a pointer where to download GNAT for COMPAQ Alpha?

In case this is for the OpenVMS system, the main link is

  ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/private/old/openvms/

You can also search "gnat312" with ftpsearch :

  http://ftpsearch.lycos.com/?form=normal

HTH

G.

* Re: GNAT for Alpha
@ 2001-06-28 21:55   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-06-28 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3B3B74E1.D2239654@worldnet.att.net>, James Rogers says...

>The question about GNAT and Alpha reminded me of a item in my local
>newspaper declaring that Intel has (or is in the process of) purchasing
>the Compaq Alpha facilities and talent. It appears that Compaq will be
>using the Intel Itanium chip technology instead of Alpha.
>
>This leads to another thought. Are there any Ada implementations
>targeted to the Itanium chip? Are any in the works. This chip seems
>like a good home for Ada.

That question reminds me a lot of the questions several months back about Ada
compilers for MacOSX before it was released. Its a bit unresonable to expect an
Ada compiler for an unreleased processor to exist.

However, I do think that an Itanium GCC is in the works. Gnat shouldn't be too
big of a jump from there (presuming the OS is a supported one).

---

* Re: GNAT for Alpha
@ 2001-06-29  0:27     ` Ken Garlington
From: Ken Garlington @ 2001-06-29  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ted Dennison" <dennison@telepath.com> wrote in message

: That question reminds me a lot of the questions several months back about
Ada
: compilers for MacOSX before it was released. Its a bit unresonable to
expect an
: Ada compiler for an unreleased processor to exist.

Didn't seem to bother Red Hat:

http://www.redhat.com/about/presscenter/2001/press_itanium.html

They've announced Alpha support as well...

* Re: GNAT for Alpha
@ 2001-06-29  6:37 ` Gerhard Häring
From: Gerhard Häring @ 2001-06-29  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gautier wrote:

> >Can anyone provide a pointer where to download GNAT for COMPAQ Alpha?
>
> In case this is for the OpenVMS system, the main link is
>
>   ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/private/old/openvms/

In case this is for Windows NT 4 on Alpha, look here:

http://www.guiduck.com/download.html

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://highqualdev.com              public key at homepage

* Re: GNAT for Alpha
@ 2001-06-30 12:09   ` Adrian Hoe
From: Adrian Hoe @ 2001-06-30 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jacob Sparre Andersen <sparre@nbi.dk> wrote in message news:<3B3B59D3.C7CADF66@nbi.dk>...

> There is one in the "3.12p" directory on the GNAT FTP site
> and its mirrors. For example:
>

> http://da.gnuada.org/gnat/3.12p/gnat-3.12p-alpha-dec-osf4.0d-bin.tar.gz
>
> http://de.gnuada.org/gnat/3.12p/gnat-3.12p-alpha-dec-osf4.0d-bin.tar.gz
>
> I doubt that you can find one for Linux on Alpha, but I
> would like to know, if you happen to find (or build) one.
>
> Jacob

I thought one will need a working Ada compiler to compile Ada source.
If this is true and there is no Ada compiler for Linux on Alpha, how
can one be built?

Also, can gnat-3.12p-alpha-dec-osf4.0d-bin.tar.gz run on Tru64-UNIX?

Thanks.

* Re: GNAT for Alpha
@ 2001-06-30 13:21     ` DuckE
From: DuckE @ 2001-06-30 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I thought one will need a working Ada compiler to compile Ada source.
> If this is true and there is no Ada compiler for Linux on Alpha, how
> can one be built?

By cross compiling GNAT.

* Re: GNAT for Alpha
@ 2001-06-30 18:17     ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2001-06-30 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com> writes:

>>This leads to another thought. Are there any Ada implementations
>>targeted to the Itanium chip? Are any in the works. This chip seems
>>like a good home for Ada.

I doubt it.  Ada with its explicit loops might enable compilers to
generate better code than they do now for C, but looking at the
benchmarks, it seems as if the Itanium is a FORTRAN processor.

> That question reminds me a lot of the questions several months back
> about Ada compilers for MacOSX before it was released. Its a bit
> unresonable to expect an Ada compiler for an unreleased processor to
> exist.

Itanium systems are already offered:

http://www.dell.com/us/en/biz/products/model_precn_2_precn_730.htm

On the other hand, it's hard to buy software which runs on the
Itanium, in particular on this Intellish machine.  You might be better
off with this one when you want to run actual software:

http://www.hp.com/workstations/products/itanium/i2000/summary.html

> However, I do think that an Itanium GCC is in the works.

Basic IA64 support is in GCC 3.0, I think.

* Re: GNAT for Alpha
@ 2001-07-01 23:30       ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 2001-07-01 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >>This leads to another thought. Are there any Ada implementations
> >>targeted to the Itanium chip? Are any in the works. This chip seems
> >>like a good home for Ada.

Florian Weimer:

> I doubt it.  Ada with its explicit loops might enable compilers to
> generate better code than they do now for C, but looking at the
> benchmarks, it seems as if the Itanium is a FORTRAN processor.

For the benchmarks it is quite usual that they are in Fortran,
since this language normally has the best optimizing compilers.
Is it a reason to conclude that the CPU is a "Fortran processor" ?

G.

* Re: GNAT for Alpha
@ 2001-07-12 13:45     ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2001-07-12 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adrian:

> Also, can gnat-3.12p-alpha-dec-osf4.0d-bin.tar.gz run on Tru64-UNIX?

As far as I know, yes. "Tru64-Unix" is just a new label for
"Digital Unix", which at some point has also been called
"OSF".

There should also be a certain level of binary compatibility
between Tru-64 and Linux on Alpha. I think (but have not
tried it myself) that it should be enough to link to program
statically on Tru-64/Alpha to make it run on Linux/Alpha.

<activating brain>

There might be some serious problems using tasking though...

Jacob
--

@ 2001-07-12 15:46       ` Cailean Nicholas Pól Gloucester
From: Cailean Nicholas Pól Gloucester @ 2001-07-12 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3B4DAA01.56DABD2D@nbi.dk>, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
"Adrian:

> Also, can gnat-3.12p-alpha-dec-osf4.0d-bin.tar.gz run on Tru64-UNIX?

As far as I know, yes. "Tru64-Unix" is just a new label for
"Digital Unix", which at some point has also been called
"OSF".

[..]"

Do be wary of which exact version of Tru64 you are using. See the "GNAT on
Tru64 5.1" thread of November 2000 archive on Google, at URL
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&safe=off&ic=1&th=c65fa87baa269cf6,7&seekm=8ubp79%24kie%241%40nnrp1.deja.com#p

Version 5.0 was fine but 5.1 was not. At Ada Core Technologies it was
expected to be possible to support v.5.1 soon thereafter but for all I
know anything could have happened. Maybe it works with v.5.1 may be
not. Adrian Hoe did not say in the thread so far which version number he
was thinking of.

* Re: GNAT for Alpha
@ 2001-07-13  2:14         ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2001-07-13  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Colin_Paul_Gloster@ACM.org (Cailean Nicholas P�l Gloucester) wrote in message news:<slrn9krgh0.66u.Colin_Paul_Gloster@camac.dcu.ie>...
> Version 5.0 was fine but 5.1 was not. At Ada Core Technologies it was
> expected to be possible to support v.5.1 soon thereafter but for all > I know anything could have happened. Maybe it works with v.5.1 may be
> not. Adrian Hoe did not say in the thread so far which version number
> he was thinking of.

Tru64 v5.1 is indeed significantly different from previous versions
including v5.0. We have ports of GNAT Professional available for
version 5.1 and earlier versions (these are two separate versions).

* Re: GNAT for Alpha
@ 2001-07-14  8:49       ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2001-07-14  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jacob Sparre Andersen <sparre@nbi.dk> writes:

> As far as I know, yes. "Tru64-Unix" is just a new label for
> "Digital Unix", which at some point has also been called
> "OSF".

OSF and Digital Unix were two entirely different beasts.  Some
DECstations were sold with Digital Unix and the promise that they
will be able to run OSF/1, but DEC never managed to release it to the
public.  AFAIK, OSF/1 was only available for two architectures (the
Intel Paragon was one of them, the other DEC Alpha), and it never
resulted in the unified Unix the industry was looking for.  The local
university is still upset about this. :-/

* Re: GNAT for Alpha
@ 2001-07-17  7:30         ` Adrian Hoe
From: Adrian Hoe @ 2001-07-17  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Colin_Paul_Gloster@ACM.org (Cailean Nicholas P�l Gloucester) wrote in message news:<slrn9krgh0.66u.Colin_Paul_Gloster@camac.dcu.ie>...

> Version 5.0 was fine but 5.1 was not. At Ada Core Technologies it was
> expected to be possible to support v.5.1 soon thereafter but for all I
> know anything could have happened. Maybe it works with v.5.1 may be
> not. Adrian Hoe did not say in the thread so far which version number he
> was thinking of.

Hello,

I have checked with local COMPAQ and current shipments come with
version 5.1A. I also have read Robert's posting saying GNAT do support
version 5.1. I would like to know if there is a download site so that
I can download the compiler for testing.

Thank you.

Adrian Hoe