* Re: Programming languages vote - results on http://www.iprolink.ch/~lambercy
       [not found] <01bcd66a$25008600$4f1a9ec2@default>
@ 1997-10-11  0:00 ` Jack Klein
From: Jack Klein @ 1997-10-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vincent Lambercy <lambercy@iprolink.ch> wrote in article
<01bcd66a$25008600$4f1a9ec2@default>...
> Hi,
>
> 	After two weeks of vote, ADA seems to be the best language.
If you don't
> thik so (or if you think so), vote on
http://www.iprolink.ch/~lambercy

Hi Vincent,

Why should we care what you think, or people who are silly
enough to vote in a STUPID (I will explain STUPID in just a
minute) think.

Anyone who answers the question "What's the best programming
language?" with no more information is an idiot.

The only valid question about programming languages, EVER, is
"What is the best programming language to use in this
situation...?", and explain the situation.

Is Ada or Smalltalk the best language to use for generating a
program which must run in the 4K of code space and the 128 bytes
(NOT Kbytes) or RAM in an 8051?  Is Ada or Smalltalk the best
language to use in a digital signal processor with hard realtime
requirements?

You are off topic in comp.lang.c, and I wish you would quit
posting here and wasting everybody's time with this moronic
driver.

Jack

@ 1997-10-12  0:00 ` Colin Dooley
From: Colin Dooley @ 1997-10-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vincent Lambercy wrote:

> Hi,
>
>         After two weeks of vote, ADA seems to be the best language.
> If you don't thik so (or if you think so), vote on
> http://www.iprolink.ch/~lambercy

"Best"?

Either that or ADA programmers are the most fanatical...

--
<\___/>      | For the spooks: plutonium semtex CIA MI5 FBI
/ O O \      | Clinton Khadaffi Hussein stealth fighter

I was grumpy, but now I see the light!

* Re: Programming languages vote - results on http://www.iprolink.ch/~lambercy
@ 1997-10-13  0:00   ` Matthew Heaney
       [not found]     ` <34457151.532882584@news.eunet.ie>
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1997-10-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <34458BBC.2781@medit3d.com>, Colin Dooley <colin@medit3d.com> wrote:

>Vincent Lambercy wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>         After two weeks of vote, ADA seems to be the best language.
>> If you don't thik so (or if you think so), vote on
>> http://www.iprolink.ch/~lambercy
>

>"Best"?
>

>Either that or ADA programmers are the most fanatical...

This comment, from someone who doesn't even know how to spell Ada!
(Perhaps you were refering to the crafters of the Americans with
Disabilities Act.  Or maybe to the American Dental Association.)

If you don't know Ada, then you obviously wouldn't understand why it's the
language of choice for safe, reliable systems.  Perhaps the programmers who
voted Ada as the "best" language know something you don't, eh?

Why don't you find out for yourself?  There's a free, high-quality Ada
compiler, GNAT, available at NYU's ftp site.  And you can find out lots o'
cool stuff about Ada by visiting the Ada home page.

<ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/gnat>
<http://www.adahome.com>

Matthew Heaney
Software Development Consultant
<mailto:matthew_heaney@acm.org>
(818) 985-1271

@ 1997-10-14  0:00 ` Billy Chambless
From: Billy Chambless @ 1997-10-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <01bcd66a$25008600$4f1a9ec2@default>, "Vincent Lambercy" <lambercy@iprolink.ch> writes:
|> Hi,
|>
|> 	After two weeks of vote, ADA seems to be the best language. If you don't
|> thik so (or if you think so), vote on http://www.iprolink.ch/~lambercy

Does this mean that the person who replied to this silly poll preferred
Ada?

@ 1997-10-15  0:00       ` Alan E & Carmel J Brain
From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain @ 1997-10-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Burkley wrote:

> >>Either that or ADA programmers are the most fanatical...
> >This comment, from someone who doesn't even know how to spell Ada!
> This comment from someone who doesn't know what "spell" means.
>
> There are three letters and they are in the correct order and it is
> therefore spelt correctly, even if it isn't capitalized to your taste.

Obviously you've never programmed in C then. I rest my case, and hope
you're not oversensitive.

Enough already.

 abrain@cs.adfa.oz.au  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo

* Re: Programming languages vote - results on http://www.iprolink.ch/~lambercy
@ 1997-10-15  0:00         ` Colin Dooley
From: Colin Dooley @ 1997-10-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan E & Carmel J Brain wrote:

>>Either that or ADA programmers are the most fanatical...
>
>This comment, from someone who doesn't even know how to spell Ada!

Ah, "ad hominem" time is it?

Only the lowest of the low....etc.

--
<\___/>      | Ada, n.:  Something you need only need to know the name
/ O O \      | of to be an Expert in Computing. Useful in sentences

@ 1997-10-16  0:00     ` Derek A Benner
From: Derek A Benner @ 1997-10-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthew Heaney wrote:

> >Either that or ADA programmers are the most fanatical...
>
> This comment, from someone who doesn't even know how to spell Ada!
> (Perhaps you were refering to the crafters of the Americans with
> Disabilities Act.  Or maybe to the American Dental Association.)

Agreed.  But, since we're obviously NOT Ada programmers we might not
understand the significance put on the capitalization sequence of Ada.
(As in, get the hint, these are the comp.lang.c++ and the
comp.lang.pascal newsgroups.)

So, I can only guess that the reason you insisted on sharing with us is
that you feel so alone and abandoned on your own newsgroup...?

> If you don't know Ada, then you obviously wouldn't understand why it's
> the
> language of choice for safe, reliable systems.  Perhaps the
> programmers who
> voted Ada as the "best" language know something you don't, eh?

By whose definition?  Not mine.  I prefer a mix of Delphi/Pascal and
C/C++ with a little Forth and Assembler added for small chip RTC stuff.
But then, I've always preferred SMALL apps over BLOATWARE! <G>

> Why don't you find out for yourself?  There's a free, high-quality Ada
> compiler, GNAT, available at NYU's ftp site.  And you can find out
> lots o'
> cool stuff about Ada by visiting the Ada home page.

Always willing to add to my repetoire(?) (Geez, I can pronouce it, but I
can't remember how to spell it!  I better start restocking the fishy
brain food! <G>)

Derek

* Re: Programming languages vote - results on http://www.iprolink.ch/~lambercy
@ 1997-10-16  0:00           ` Alan E & Carmel J Brain
From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain @ 1997-10-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Colin Dooley wrote:

> Alan E & Carmel J Brain wrote:
> >>
> >>Either that or ADA programmers are the most fanatical...
> >
> >This comment, from someone who doesn't even know how to spell Ada!
>
> Ah, "ad hominem" time is it?
>
> Only the lowest of the low....etc.

Yup. Concur. Don't blame me though, I just tried to lighten things up
with a rancid pun, but no matter.

 abrain@cs.adfa.oz.au  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo