From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: gnatmake error I don't understand
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 16:27:26 -0500
Date: 2014-04-04T16:27:26-05:00	[thread overview]

"Robert A Duff" <bobduff@shell01.TheWorld.com> wrote in message
news:wcclhvlmcu9.fsf@shell01.TheWorld.com...
> IMHO the language would be better without library subprograms.
> The main procedure should be inside a package (but as you point
> out, that's unfortunately illegal).

The very early versions of Janus/Ada required a package to be the main -- as
there were no library-level subprograms at the time. But we just used the
elaboration of that package to be a main -- we just force it to elaborate
last; no way to use a subprogram inside of the package as a main (short of
calling it in the begin part of the package). Janus/Ada still has an option
to allow that sorrt of main (dunno if it actually works, I don't think
anyone has used it for decades).

                                Randy.