From: Adam Beneschan <adambeneschan@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: gnatmake error I don't understand
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 10:45:49 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2014-04-04T10:45:49-07:00	[thread overview]

On Friday, April 4, 2014 10:14:21 AM UTC-7, Simon Wright wrote:
> Robert A Duff writes:
>
> > Simon Wright writes:

> >> (in GNAT)

> > In Ada.

> ARM 10.2(29)[1] says "An implementation may restrict the kinds of
> subprograms it supports as main subprograms. However, an implementation
> is required to support all main subprograms that are public
> parameterless library procedures." so I think I was strictly right???
> (apart from the "library level" confusion, sorry).

I agree with you here; in Ada, it is legal to use a subprogram inside a package as the main subprogram, if the implementation supports it.  I don't know whether there are any implementations that do, however.

(I do know of compilers that go beyond the "required to support" requirements in other ways, though.  Irvine Compiler's Ada compiler allows some library procedures with parameters to be used as main subprograms, as long as the parameters meet certain restrictions, and it uses the command-line arguments.)

                               -- Adam