* what is current status of OpenGL and Ada?
@ 2012-02-05  6:52 Nasser M. Abbasi
From: Nasser M. Abbasi @ 2012-02-05  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

current OpenGL is 4.2, released 8,2012.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL

previous version was 3.3.

The Ada openGL binding I could find is

http://adaopengl.sourceforge.net/

and was last updated on 2003 !  This is like 100 years ago
in computer years.

Is there a more recent openGL binding for Ada?

thanks,
--Nasser

* Re: what is current status of OpenGL and Ada?
@ 2012-02-05  7:03 ` Nasser M. Abbasi
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Nasser M. Abbasi @ 2012-02-05  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/5/2012 12:52 AM, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
> current OpenGL is 4.2, released 8,2012.

opps,

s/2012/2011/

* Re: what is current status of OpenGL and Ada?
@ 2012-02-05 12:00 ` Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2012-02-05 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Sun, 05 Feb 2012 07:52:25 +0100, Nasser M. Abbasi <nma@12000.org> a
écrit:

> current OpenGL is 4.2, released 8,2012.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL
>
> previous version was 3.3.
>
> The Ada openGL binding I could find is
>
> http://adaopengl.sourceforge.net/
>
> and was last updated on 2003 !  This is like 100 years ago
> in computer years.

Not necessarily. The 2003's API may match your needs. Check it before,
only then you will know (newer ≠ better).

* Re: what is current status of OpenGL and Ada?
@ 2012-02-05 12:34   ` Nasser M. Abbasi
From: Nasser M. Abbasi @ 2012-02-05 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/5/2012 6:00 AM, Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) wrote:
> Le Sun, 05 Feb 2012 07:52:25 +0100, Nasser M. Abbasi<nma@12000.org>  a
> écrit:
>
>> current OpenGL is 4.2, released 8,2012.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL
>>
>> previous version was 3.3.
>>
>> The Ada openGL binding I could find is
>>
>> http://adaopengl.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> and was last updated on 2003 !  This is like 100 years ago
>> in computer years.
>

> Not necessarily. The 2003's API may match your needs. Check it before,
> only then you will know (newer ≠ better).

I do not have specific needs, just wanted to learn basic openGL
a little, and thought why not use Ada. But this binding is
very old, and  many releases behind current openGL version.

I can use c++ and use the current openGL, or use Ada and
use much older API version to learn from.

It seems all the Ada pages related to this are old. Here is
another related page referenced in the readme for Ada openGL

http://home.arcor.de/hfvogt/programming.html

and it was also last updated in 2002.

It looks like the people who did this initially are all gone
to do other things.

I like Ada more than C/C++, but it seems to me, it is easier
and more useful to just use C++ for this sort of thing.

@ 2012-02-05 16:21     ` Erich
From: Erich @ 2012-02-05 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It seems all the Ada pages related to this are old. Here is
> another related page referenced in the readme for Ada openGL
>
> http://home.arcor.de/hfvogt/programming.html

Have you checked out this?

http://globe3d.sourceforge.net/

I don't know how recent it is but analyzing the source might be a good
way to learn OpenGL, too.

* Re: what is current status of OpenGL and Ada?
@ 2012-02-06  2:24 ` Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2012-02-06  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

écrit:

> current OpenGL is 4.2, released 8,2012.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL
>
> previous version was 3.3.
>
> The Ada openGL binding I could find is
>
> http://adaopengl.sourceforge.net/
>
> and was last updated on 2003 !  This is like 100 years ago
> in computer years.

I've just checked the version I used in some experiments a few months ago:
was OpenGL 2.1.

Believe me, that was fine. I just get into troubles with text display,
which is not Unicode aware (still fine for english only text).

Pretty sure you can go with the Ada binding you found. Or else, you can
create your own if you wish.

* Re: what is current status of OpenGL and Ada?
@ 2012-02-06  7:48       ` Gautier write-only
From: Gautier write-only @ 2012-02-06  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5 fév, 17:21, Erich <j...@peppermind.com> wrote:

> Have you checked out this?
>
> http://globe3d.sourceforge.net/
>
> I don't know how recent it is but analyzing the source might be a good
> way to learn OpenGL, too.

Note that you are not obliged to use the GLOBE_3D[.*] packages, you
can use the GL binding alone which has following advantages:
- it uses Ada-like notations (GL.Color instead of, say, glColor3d)
- it is maintained
_________________________
Gautier's Ada programming
http://gautiersblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Ada
NB: follow the above link for a valid e-mail address

* Re: what is current status of OpenGL and Ada?
@ 2012-02-07  1:33     ` BrianG
From: BrianG @ 2012-02-07  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 02/05/2012 07:34 AM, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
> On 2/5/2012 6:00 AM, Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) wrote:
>> Le Sun, 05 Feb 2012 07:52:25 +0100, Nasser M. Abbasi<nma@12000.org> a
>> écrit:
>>
>>> current OpenGL is 4.2, released 8,2012.
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL
>>>
>>> previous version was 3.3.
>>>
>>> The Ada openGL binding I could find is
>>>
>>> http://adaopengl.sourceforge.net/
>>>
>>> and was last updated on 2003 ! This is like 100 years ago
>>> in computer years.
>>

>> Not necessarily. The 2003's API may match your needs. Check it before,
>> only then you will know (newer ≠ better).
>>

> I do not have specific needs, just wanted to learn basic openGL
> a little, and thought why not use Ada. But this binding is
> very old, and many releases behind current openGL version.
>
> I can use c++ and use the current openGL, or use Ada and
> use much older API version to learn from.
>
> It seems all the Ada pages related to this are old. Here is
> another related page referenced in the readme for Ada openGL
>
> http://home.arcor.de/hfvogt/programming.html
>
> and it was also last updated in 2002.
>
> It looks like the people who did this initially are all gone
> to do other things.
>
> I like Ada more than C/C++, but it seems to me, it is easier
> and more useful to just use C++ for this sort of thing.
>
> Thanks,
> --Nasser
You could also try GLOBE; it's not OpenGL, but a higher-level library.
However, it contains an OpenGL binding.  I haven't looked at it
recently, except to see that it gets updates, but it should be more
recent than 2003.  It's also the only Ada binding I've seen that doesn't
blindly follow the C nature of the typical OpenGL function set (every
function has different named versions for the different parameter sets -
which even the OpenGL spec 'Red Book' recognizes as not needed for
languages that allow overloading "like C++ and Ada").

(I occasionally return to my attempt to build a binding, based on the
'Red Book', but it doesn't hold enough interest for me to keep at it
very long.  I did learn that you can't use  a single name for all
versions of a function - because then you can't call it with all literal
parameters {there's no way to resolve the short/long or float/double
versions}.  At a minimum, you need 2 names; I prefer to use the 2nd for
the literal case, but never came up with a reasonable naming convention.)

--
---
BrianG

* Re: what is current status of OpenGL and Ada?
@ 2012-02-07  4:14       ` Nasser M. Abbasi
From: Nasser M. Abbasi @ 2012-02-07  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/6/2012 7:33 PM, BrianG wrote:

> You could also try GLOBE; it's not OpenGL, but a higher-level library.
> However, it contains an OpenGL binding.

A link?

@ 2012-02-07  4:18       ` Niklas Holsti
From: Niklas Holsti @ 2012-02-07  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12-02-07 03:33 , BrianG wrote:

> You could also try GLOBE; it's not OpenGL, but a higher-level library.
> However, it contains an OpenGL binding. I haven't looked at it recently,
> except to see that it gets updates, but it should be more recent than
> 2003. It's also the only Ada binding I've seen that doesn't blindly
> follow the C nature of the typical OpenGL function set (every function
> has different named versions for the different parameter sets - which
> even the OpenGL spec 'Red Book' recognizes as not needed for languages
> that allow overloading "like C++ and Ada").
>
> (I occasionally return to my attempt to build a binding, based on the
> 'Red Book', but it doesn't hold enough interest for me to keep at it
> very long. I did learn that you can't use a single name for all versions
> of a function - because then you can't call it with all literal
> parameters {there's no way to resolve the short/long or float/double
> versions}.

"No way"? Is there some reason why you cannot qualify the literals, as
in Float'(3.14) versus Long_Float'(3.14)?

> At a minimum, you need 2 names; I prefer to use the 2nd for
> the literal case, but never came up with a reasonable naming convention.)

If there are many parameters that can (all together) be either Float or
Long_Float, and many calls with all-literal parameters, it is of course
briefer to write a few extra letters in the function name, than to write
all the type qualifiers around the literals. (In principle it is not
necessary to qualify all the literal parameters; it is enough to qualify
only  as many as are needed to resolve the overloading, but that looks
unsymmetric and unsystematic.)

I know next to nothing about OpenGL or GLOBE. Are all-literal calls so
sommon that writing them in a qualified form is very bad?

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd

* Re: what is current status of OpenGL and Ada?
@ 2012-02-07  4:23       ` Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2012-02-07  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Tue, 07 Feb 2012 02:33:49 +0100, BrianG <me@null.email> a écrit:
> (I occasionally return to my attempt to build a binding, based on the
> 'Red Book', but it doesn't hold enough interest for me to keep at it
> very long.  I did learn that you can't use  a single name for all
> versions of a function - because then you can't call it with all literal
> parameters {there's no way to resolve the short/long or float/double
> versions}.  At a minimum, you need 2 names; I prefer to use the 2nd for
> the literal case, but never came up with a reasonable naming convention.)

Or else four packages with static genericity.

package OpenGL.With_Shorts is
    function F1 (Param1 : Short, ...);
    function F2 (Param1 : Short)
    function F2 return Short;
end ...;

package OpenGL.With_Longs is
    function F1 (Param1 : Long, ...);
    function F2 (Param1 : Long)
    function F2 return Long;
end ...;

And so on.

* Re: what is current status of OpenGL and Ada?
@ 2012-02-07 11:44         ` Gautier write-only
From: Gautier write-only @ 2012-02-07 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7 fév, 05:14, "Nasser M. Abbasi" <n...@12000.org> wrote:
> On 2/6/2012 7:33 PM, BrianG wrote:
>
> > You could also try GLOBE; it's not OpenGL, but a higher-level library.
> > However, it contains an OpenGL binding.
>
> A link?

http://globe3d.sf.net/

Enjoy!
_________________________

@ 2012-02-07 23:00         ` BrianG
From: BrianG @ 2012-02-07 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 02/06/2012 11:23 PM, Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) wrote:
> Le Tue, 07 Feb 2012 02:33:49 +0100, BrianG <me@null.email> a écrit:
>> (I occasionally return to my attempt to build a binding, based on the
>> 'Red Book', but it doesn't hold enough interest for me to keep at it
>> very long. I did learn that you can't use a single name for all
>> versions of a function - because then you can't call it with all
>> literal parameters {there's no way to resolve the short/long or
>> float/double versions}. At a minimum, you need 2 names; I prefer to
>> use the 2nd for the literal case, but never came up with a reasonable
>> naming convention.)
>
> Or else four packages with static genericity.
>
> package OpenGL.With_Shorts is
> function F1 (Param1 : Short, ...);
> function F2 (Param1 : Short)
> function F2 return Short;
> end ...;
>
> package OpenGL.With_Longs is
> function F1 (Param1 : Long, ...);
> function F2 (Param1 : Long)
> function F2 return Long;
> end ...;
>
> And so on.

Yes, and that might be one good way to organize the bindings.  I presume
that a typical program would tend to use one 'flavor' of number
more-or-less consistently.

One thing I would like is to a way to organize the package structure in
a way that makes _using_ it easier.  Most OpenGL programs I've looked
at, which isn't many, with (or #include) all/most parts of the library
structure, because it was organized for the library _writer's_ benefit.
  (This probably applies to most large, structured libraries).

--
---
BrianG

* Re: what is current status of OpenGL and Ada?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-09-12 23:34 ` fastrgv
From: fastrgv @ 2014-09-12 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, February 4, 2012 10:52:25 PM UTC-8, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
> current OpenGL is 4.2, released 8,2012.
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL
>

> previous version was 3.3.
>

> The Ada openGL binding I could find is
>

> http://adaopengl.sourceforge.net/
>

> and was last updated on 2003 !  This is like 100 years ago
>
> in computer years.
>

> Is there a more recent openGL binding for Ada?
>

> thanks,
>
> --Nasser

This may interest you:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/rufasada/

--Rod

* Re: what is current status of OpenGL and Ada?
@ 2014-09-13  7:49   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2014-09-13  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

fastrgv@gmail.com writes:

> This may interest you:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/rufasada/

How do you get the "As of 2014-08-31, this project is no longer under
active development." message at the top of the project page?

* Re: what is current status of OpenGL and Ada?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-09-14 12:12 ` darkestkhan
From: darkestkhan @ 2014-09-14 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, February 5, 2012 6:52:25 AM UTC, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
> current OpenGL is 4.2, released 8,2012.
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL
>

> previous version was 3.3.
>

> The Ada openGL binding I could find is
>

> http://adaopengl.sourceforge.net/
>

> and was last updated on 2003 !  This is like 100 years ago
>
> in computer years.
>

> Is there a more recent openGL binding for Ada?
>

> thanks,
>
> --Nasser

There are at least 2 more recent Ada bindings to OpenGL: one is
lumen ( https://github.com/karakalo/lumen or its "fork" https://github.com/darkestkhan/lumen ) and
http://flyx.github.io/OpenGLAda/

Not sure about the one from flyx, but I do know that lumen supports at least up to 3.3 (some of that 3.3 stuff I added myself). As for >3.3 I simply wasn't interested in adding it as my hardware has no support for it (if you need I can add). Also lumen provides glut-like functionality. (but the one from me has no support for Windows, due to my cleanup of code under non-ISC license)