* Source code of large programs wanted
@ 2005-02-24 12:41 Derek M Jones
From: Derek M Jones @ 2005-02-24 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

My interest is in measuring source code.
You can can find some of my measurements of C
source at www.knosof.co.uk/cbook/usefigtab.pdf
(you might want to skip to table 26; many of the
tools used are available at
www.knosof.co.uk/cbook/srccnt.tgz).

I would like to measure Ada source and am
looking a selection of large Fortran programs
(i.e., +100K lines per program) for a total of around
3-5 million lines of source.  I don't mind what the
code does, but would prefer a wide selection of
different kinds of application.  I don't plan to
execute the software, so no data-sets are needed.
I would like others to have access to the source
(so they can also measure it), so publicly available
source is needed.  A selection of programs developed
in the 80's, and 90's would be great.

Suggestions most welcome (either the name of the
program or a url will do).

* Re: Source code of large programs wanted
@ 2005-02-24 21:15 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2005-02-24 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here is a site that I just stumbled upon the other day:

http://libresoft.dat.escet.urjc.es/debian-counting/

This guy must be nuts, he set out to measure the SLOC count of the
last four stable releases of *Debian*, perhaps the largest single
collection of programs in the world.  The total for Sarge is rougly
218 million lines!

And I am happy to report that Ada is doing rather well in Sarge, as
the count went from 0.5 million to 2.5 million lines of source text (I
hate to call it "code"), and that Ada is now the 9th most used
language in Debian (*up* two places since Woody).

If anyone feels like packaging even more Ada software for Debian,
*please* do!  There must be a way to beat Fortran and become #8, we
need a mere 256 kSLOC.  Anyone for PolyORB?  That's 115 kSLOC by
itself.  Or Dtraq? 30 kSLOC.  Or Adagio? 32 kSLOC.  These fine
programs, and others, deserve to be spread to the world.

I also noticed that on the Linux counter (http://counter.li.org),
Debian now exceeds 21% of the installed base, now surpassing Red Hat
and Fedora Core combined and becoming the #1 distribution!

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Source code of large programs wanted
@ 2005-02-24 21:25   ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2005-02-24 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Ludovic Brenta:

> And I am happy to report that Ada is doing rather well in Sarge, as
> the count went from 0.5 million to 2.5 million lines of source text (I
> hate to call it "code"), and that Ada is now the 9th most used
> language in Debian (*up* two places since Woody).

Debian unstable/experimental contains four additional copies of GNAT
(with 400 kSLOC each), which accounts for 1.6 million lines of code. 8-/

* Re: Source code of large programs wanted
@ 2005-02-24 21:30     ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2005-02-24 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Florian Weimer writes:
> * Ludovic Brenta:
>
>> And I am happy to report that Ada is doing rather well in Sarge, as
>> the count went from 0.5 million to 2.5 million lines of source text (I
>> hate to call it "code"), and that Ada is now the 9th most used
>> language in Debian (*up* two places since Woody).
>
> Debian unstable/experimental contains four additional copies of GNAT
> (with 400 kSLOC each), which accounts for 1.6 million lines of code. 8-/

The experimental packages won't go into Sarge, by definition.  And,
GCC also contains lots of C, C++, Java and Fortran.  So this is
unlikely to change the ranking.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Source code of large programs wanted
@ 2005-02-24 21:33       ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2005-02-24 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta writes:
> Florian Weimer writes:
>> * Ludovic Brenta:
>>
>>> And I am happy to report that Ada is doing rather well in Sarge,
>>> as the count went from 0.5 million to 2.5 million lines of source
>>> text (I hate to call it "code"), and that Ada is now the 9th most
>>> used language in Debian (*up* two places since Woody).
>>
>> Debian unstable/experimental contains four additional copies of
>> GNAT (with 400 kSLOC each), which accounts for 1.6 million lines of
>> code. 8-/
>
> The experimental packages won't go into Sarge, by definition.  And,
> GCC also contains lots of C, C++, Java and Fortran.  So this is
> unlikely to change the ranking.

Not to mention that I consider this cheating :) it's easy to package N
versions of the same thing to swell the SLOC count, but there is
little pride to be gained from that.  For example, I could have kept
libgtkada1 and gvd but decided not to, now there's libgtkada2 and
gnat-gps instead.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Source code of large programs wanted
@ 2005-02-25  2:36   ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2005-02-25  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> If anyone feels like packaging even more Ada software for Debian,
> *please* do!  There must be a way to beat Fortran and become #8, we
> need a mere 256 kSLOC.  Anyone for PolyORB?  That's 115 kSLOC by
> itself.  Or Dtraq? 30 kSLOC.  Or Adagio? 32 kSLOC.  These fine
> programs, and others, deserve to be spread to the world.

You could package many of the freely available Ada libraries, and I'm
sure exceed 256 kLOC easily. PragmAda Reusable Components, Booch
Components, Charles, GtkAda, Claw, JEWL, ...

--
Jeff Carter
"All citizens will be required to change their underwear

* Re: Source code of large programs wanted
@ 2005-02-25  6:43     ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2005-02-25  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey Carter wrote:
> You could package many of the freely available Ada libraries, and I'm
> sure exceed 256 kLOC easily. PragmAda Reusable Components, Booch
> Components, Charles, GtkAda, Claw, JEWL, ...

I think "CLAW" on Debian might be a hard sell! :-)

* Re: Source code of large programs wanted
@ 2005-02-25  9:59     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2005-02-25  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article Jeffrey Carter wrote:
>You could package many of the freely available Ada libraries, and I'm
>sure exceed 256 kLOC easily. PragmAda Reusable Components, Booch
>Components, Charles, GtkAda, Claw, JEWL, ...

GtkAda and charles are already pacakges. :-)

Think it is time I learn this packagin too :-)

Preben

* Re: Source code of large programs wanted
@ 2005-02-25 13:24         ` Manuel G. R.
From: Manuel G. R. @ 2005-02-25 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus wrote:
> Martin Dowie wrote:
>
>> Jeffrey Carter wrote:
>>
>> I think "CLAW" on Debian might be a hard sell! :-)
>
> Depends. :-) Windows emulation via Wine is making progress.
>
> IIRC, CLAW's toolkit dependent stuff is mostly collected into
> a single package; thus it might well be possible to rewrite
> this part of the introductory edition, for easy porting to
> GNU/Linux and relatives.

AFAIK, CLAW does not meet the The Debian Free Software Guidelines
(http://www.debian.org/social_contract): specifically the one about
"Derived Works". I think you cannot port it to GNU/Linux without
permission. It is not free software (in the GNU sense), but commercial
software that can be used freely for personal (non-commercial) projects.
Not all libraries that comes with source code can make its way into
Debian. At least to the core distribution, but they have a semiofficial
non-free section for these cases.

--
Ada programming tutorial: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming:Ada
Tutorial de programaci�n en Ada:

* Re: Source code of large programs wanted
@ 2005-02-25 15:21       ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2005-02-25 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Dowie wrote:
> Jeffrey Carter wrote:
>
>> You could package many of the freely available Ada libraries, and I'm
>> sure exceed 256 kLOC easily. PragmAda Reusable Components, Booch
>> Components, Charles, GtkAda, Claw, JEWL, ...
>

> I think "CLAW" on Debian might be a hard sell! :-)

Depends. :-) Windows emulation via Wine is making progress.

IIRC, CLAW's toolkit dependent stuff is mostly collected into
a single package; thus it might well be possible to rewrite
this part of the introductory edition, for easy porting to
GNU/Linux and relatives.

Only 2c.

Georg

* Re: Source code of large programs wanted
@ 2005-02-25 15:26         ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2005-02-25 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus wrote:
> Martin Dowie wrote:
>> I think "CLAW" on Debian might be a hard sell! :-)
>

> Depends. :-) Windows emulation via Wine is making progress.
>
> IIRC, CLAW's toolkit dependent stuff is mostly collected into
> a single package; thus it might well be possible to rewrite
> this part of the introductory edition, for easy porting to
> GNU/Linux and relatives.

I had wondered if anyone had ever tried that...

* Re: Source code of large programs wanted
@ 2005-02-25 17:37   ` Adrian Knoth
From: Adrian Knoth @ 2005-02-25 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta <ludovic.brenta@insalien.org> wrote:

> If anyone feels like packaging even more Ada software for Debian,
> *please* do!

Do we already have a BUSH-package? ;)

> I also noticed that on the Linux counter (http://counter.li.org),
> Debian now exceeds 21% of the installed base, now surpassing Red Hat
> and Fedora Core combined and becoming the #1 distribution!

Debian's now leading the counter, it'd been #1 all times ;)

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver

Ich sei, gewaehret mir die Bitte, in eurem Netzwerk der Dritte.

* Re: Source code of large programs wanted
@ 2005-02-25 18:00         ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2005-02-25 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > I think "CLAW" on Debian might be a hard sell! :-)
>
> Depends. :-) Windows emulation via Wine is making progress.
  As I recall, we did successfully run Claw programs that way several
years ago.

> IIRC, CLAW's toolkit dependent stuff is mostly collected into
> a single package; thus it might well be possible to rewrite
  CLAW is a Class Library - you use the parts you need.  There are parts
that are tightly bound with the message loop, there are parts with rather
direct mappings to specific Windows capabilities, and there are parts
bound very loosely.  For instance, there's a version of Claw sockets
that doesn't use Claw at all.

* Re: Source code of large programs wanted
@ 2005-02-25 20:58                   ` Manuel G. R.
From: Manuel G. R. @ 2005-02-25 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmoran@acm.org wrote:
> ... unless I heard directly from the copyright holder.
> What does "heard directly" mean?  I take it a posting on a web site
> doesn't qualify.  Perhaps a registered letter with notarized signature?
> Or maybe a bank signature guarantee?  If I sent you such a letter, with my
> signature, stating that Visual Studio was now Open Source, would that do
> the trick?  What documentation was accepted for the other programs there?

I don't see Debian developers accepting a source code with "All rights
reserved" notice on every file. If it is released as GMGPL, it should be
clear enough on the source distribution. If the copyright holder is
apparently contradicting himself, then I think Debian would take the
conservative decission - not including it in the distribution.

--

@ 2005-02-26 17:51           ` Jeff C
From: Jeff C @ 2005-02-26 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Manuel G. R. wrote:
> Georg Bauhaus wrote:
>
>> Martin Dowie wrote:
>>
>>> Jeffrey Carter wrote:
>>>
>>> I think "CLAW" on Debian might be a hard sell! :-)
>>

>> Depends. :-) Windows emulation via Wine is making progress.
>>
>> IIRC, CLAW's toolkit dependent stuff is mostly collected into
>> a single package; thus it might well be possible to rewrite
>> this part of the introductory edition, for easy porting to
>> GNU/Linux and relatives.
>>

> AFAIK, CLAW does not meet the The Debian Free Software Guidelines
> (http://www.debian.org/social_contract): specifically the one about
> "Derived Works". I think you cannot port it to GNU/Linux without
> permission. It is not free software (in the GNU sense), but commercial
> software that can be used freely for personal (non-commercial) projects.
> Not all libraries that comes with source code can make its way into
> Debian. At least to the core distribution, but they have a semiofficial
> non-free section for these cases.

In theory it is GMGPL now..

http://www.adapower.com/adapower1/claw/

Indicates it is released uner GMGPL which is "free enough"..
But...The files are not marked that way currently.

Note I am not suggesting that David or anyone is doing anything wrong
(especially since it is not distributed from adapower just linked
fromit) or that I have any reason to believe that the usenet post that
"said" it was released GMGPL was not valid....but if I were in a
position to accept/reject claw into Debian I would reject it without
clear license/copyright information which currently does not (appear) to
exist.

* Re: Source code of large programs wanted
@ 2005-02-26 17:59             ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2005-02-26 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeff C wrote:
> Manuel G. R. wrote:
>
>> Georg Bauhaus wrote:

>>> Depends. :-) Windows emulation via Wine is making progress.
>>>
>>> IIRC, CLAW's toolkit dependent stuff is mostly collected into
>>> a single package; thus it might well be possible to rewrite
>>> this part of the introductory edition, for easy porting to
>>> GNU/Linux and relatives.
>>>

>> AFAIK, CLAW does not meet the The Debian Free Software Guidelines
>> (http://www.debian.org/social_contract): specifically the one about
>> "Derived Works". I think you cannot port it to GNU/Linux without
>> permission. It is not free software (in the GNU sense), but commercial
>> software that can be used freely for personal (non-commercial)
>> projects. Not all libraries that comes with source code can make its
>> way into Debian. At least to the core distribution, but they have a
>> semiofficial non-free section for these cases.
>>

> In theory it is GMGPL now..
>
> http://www.adapower.com/adapower1/claw/
>
> Indicates it is released uner GMGPL which is "free enough"..
> But...The files are not marked that way currently.
>
> Note I am not suggesting that David or anyone is doing anything wrong
> (especially since it is not distributed from adapower just linked
> fromit) or that I have any reason to believe that the usenet post that
> "said" it was released GMGPL was not valid....but if I were in a
> position to accept/reject claw into Debian I would reject it without
> clear license/copyright information which currently does not (appear) to
> exist.

http://www.adapower.com/adapower1/claw/ann.txt

Isn't clear enough?

Cheers

-- Martin

* Re: Source code of large programs wanted
@ 2005-02-26 19:29               ` Jeff C
From: Jeff C @ 2005-02-26 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Dowie wrote:

>> Note I am not suggesting that David or anyone is doing anything wrong
>> (especially since it is not distributed from adapower just linked
>> fromit) or that I have any reason to believe that the usenet post that
>> "said" it was released GMGPL was not valid....but if I were in a
>> position to accept/reject claw into Debian I would reject it without
>> clear license/copyright information which currently does not (appear)
>> to exist.
>>

> http://www.adapower.com/adapower1/claw/ann.txt
>
> Isn't clear enough?
>
> Cheers
>
> -- Martin

It is quite clear..But adapower is not the copyright holder of the
software and nothing at the site that owns the copyright has been
updated 3 years after that announcement was made.. I could easily post
the following at my website.

From: "William Gates" <billyboy@microsoft.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
Subject: ANN: Visual Studio.Net Open Sourced
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2005 16:46:29 -0500

Various people have suggested that Microsoft could finally turn a profit
if we would just release a Free version of visual studio.net .

It will be a while before the download area of our website will be
updated to reflect this change, most likely not until the new version
with Ada 2005 and A# support is released. Rest assured that we will
enforce the license as if it is the GMGPL. Go ahead and distribute
binaries as you see fit. We will post the source really soon now.

The license for other Microsoft products, and for all versions of DOS,
are unchanged for now. Thank you for your support of Ada and Microsoft.

                     Billy Gates
                     President, Microsoft Software, Inc.

Again..I am not asserting that there is something evil going on here.
Just saying that if I were making the call as to if this was ok I would
reject the inclusion of Claw into debian unless I heard directly from
the copyright holder.

* Re: Source code of large programs wanted
@ 2005-02-26 20:34                 ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2005-02-26 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-02-26 21:19                   ` Jeff C
From: Jeff C @ 2005-02-26 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmoran@acm.org wrote:
> ... unless I heard directly from the copyright holder.
> What does "heard directly" mean?  I take it a posting on a web site
> doesn't qualify.  Perhaps a registered letter with notarized signature?
> Or maybe a bank signature guarantee?  If I sent you such a letter, with my
> signature, stating that Visual Studio was now Open Source, would that do
> the trick?  What documentation was accepted for the other programs there?

First, I am not really trying to start (that much) of a flame war here...

If I was making the decision for a large group (A company or really any
somewhat large organization where it was not just my personal "fortune"
at stake) I would have different criteria for "heard directly" than if I
was just trying to decide if I could use it for fun at home.

**** But to directly answer your question..

No, a posting on some !!!third party!!! website that !!!appears!! to be
some email/usenet posting from someone that !!!appears!! to be the
copyright holder WOULD NOT be enough to overcome the fact that if I go
to the copyright holders website 3 years later it still has different
license terms!

If the link with the updated license terms lived within the
http://www.rrsoftware.com/ domain then I would have less of a problem
agreeing that the license terms are acceptable to incorporate the
product into something like debian. (Even then (if it were up to me) I'd
be a little squeamish about it since the official distribution of claw
still VERY clearly has license terms that differ from that post)

Several years have gone by since that initial post and still  (google)
site:www.rrsoftware.com gpl
Your search - site:www.rrsoftware.com gpl - did not match any documents.

site:www.rrsoftware.com gmgpl
Your search - site:www.rrsoftware.com gmgpl - did not match any documents.

Oh...and in case you think maybe rrsoftware just does not care about
copyright
site:www.rrsoftware.com copyright
returns 37 pages

site:www.rrsoftware.com copyright
returns 7 pages

Of course I am sure I am over reacting..I mean really what are the
chances that some company with a dwindling market share would attempt to
use some ancient fuzzy onwership intellectual property to extort money
from some company in a last ditch attempt to make money for their
lawyers and give a black eye to open source for their buddies.

http://www.groklaw.net/staticpages/index.php?page=20031016162215566

(Appologies to RR Software.)

* Re: Source code of large programs wanted
@ 2005-02-28  5:49       ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2005-02-28  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Dowie wrote:
> I think "CLAW" on Debian might be a hard sell! :-)

JEWL too, now that I look at it that way.

--
Jeff Carter
"Have you gone berserk? Can't you see that that man is a ni?"

* Re: Source code of large programs wanted
@ 2005-02-28 22:17                     ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2005-02-28 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jeff C" <jcreem@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> If the link with the updated license terms lived within the
> http://www.rrsoftware.com/ domain then I would have less of a problem
> agreeing that the license terms are acceptable to incorporate the
> product into something like debian. (Even then (if it were up to me) I'd
> be a little squeamish about it since the official distribution of claw
> still VERY clearly has license terms that differ from that post)

For the record, the next full releases of Claw will contain updated license
information. We wanted the paying customers to get new versions first, so
updating the license information is a lower priority.

The sad things is that there hasn't been a full release in a number of
years. That's in large part because I've spent most of my time that last
couple of years working on Ada 2005 (which benefits all Ada users) rather
than Claw (which benefits a much smaller number of Ada users). I expect this
to change dramatically as Ada 2005 comes to completion in the next few
months.

                                 Randy Brukardt
                                 R.R. Software, Inc.

* Re: Source code of large programs wanted
@ 2005-03-01 13:13 ` Derek M Jones
From: Derek M Jones @ 2005-03-01 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

> I would like to measure Ada source and am

Bringing the topic back to the original question.
So far all I have found is:
http://www.iste.uni-stuttgart.de/ps/ada-software/ada-software.html

Any other suggestions welcome (I asked the same question on
comp.lang.fortran and am not drowning in Fortran source; it
looks like Fortran has a much more active set of developers
than Ada {many long standing packages are continuing to be
developed}).

* Re: Source code of large programs wanted
@ 2005-03-01 16:39     ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2005-03-01 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adrian Knoth writes:
> Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>
>> If anyone feels like packaging even more Ada software for Debian,
>> *please* do!
>
> Do we already have a BUSH-package? ;)

No, not yet.  See:

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=wnpp

[1] is the list of all bugs opened against the "wnpp" pseudo-package;
"wnpp" stands for Work-Needing and Prospective Packages.  [2] abd [3]
are the two bugs related to BUSH, one RFP (Request For Package) and
one ITP (Intent To Package).  Sadly, the ITP has never resulted in an
actual package.  Feel free to get in touch with the person who posted
the ITP.

Also note that BUSH depends on APQ and, I think, the Booch Components.
You'd want to package them too.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Source code of large programs wanted
@ 2005-03-01 17:51   ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2005-03-01 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Derek M Jones wrote:

> Bringing the topic back to the original question.
> So far all I have found is:
> http://www.iste.uni-stuttgart.de/ps/ada-software/ada-software.html

Try looking at adapower.com and adaworld.com. You will find many links
to collections of Ada code.

--
Jeff Carter
"Ada has made you lazy and careless. You can write programs in C that

* Re: Source code of large programs wanted
@ 2005-03-04  4:15   ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 2005-03-04  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:13:42 GMT, Derek M Jones <derek@NOSPAMknosof.co.uk>
wrote:

> All,
>
>> I would like to measure Ada source and am
>
> Bringing the topic back to the original question.
> So far all I have found is:
> http://www.iste.uni-stuttgart.de/ps/ada-software/ada-software.html
>
> Any other suggestions welcome (I asked the same question on
> comp.lang.fortran and am not drowning in Fortran source; it
> looks like Fortran has a much more active set of developers
> than Ada {many long standing packages are continuing to be
> developed}).

You can grab the source to my astrology program at
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6qirr/myindex.html ;-)

No big deal - only about 14K lines.

- Ed

* Re: Source code of large programs wanted
@ 2005-03-04 13:22     ` Derek M Jones
From: Derek M Jones @ 2005-03-04 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ed,

>>> I would like to measure Ada source and am
>>

> You can grab the source to my astrology program at
> http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6qirr/myindex.html ;-)
>
> No big deal - only about 14K lines.

Thanks for the reference.  Based on what I have
been able to find so far (and excluding the GNAT sources),
the size of your program puts it at the larger
end of the publicly available Ada sources.

* Re: Source code of large programs wanted
@ 2005-03-04 14:29       ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 2005-03-04 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 13:22:12 GMT, Derek M Jones <derek@NOSPAMknosof.co.uk>
wrote:

> Thanks for the reference.  Based on what I have
> been able to find so far (and excluding the GNAT sources),
> the size of your program puts it at the larger
> end of the publicly available Ada sources.

Note that most of the UI code started by being generated from glade, and
was massaged, so it doesn't represent usual hand-coding.  This would be
the contents of the "ui" subdirectory.

- Ed

* Re: Source code of large programs wanted
@ 2005-03-04 15:23       ` Adrian Knoth
From: Adrian Knoth @ 2005-03-04 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta <ludovic.brenta@insalien.org> wrote:

>>> If anyone feels like packaging even more Ada software for Debian,
>>> *please* do!
>> Do we already have a BUSH-package? ;)

> Also note that BUSH depends on APQ and, I think, the Booch Components.
> You'd want to package them too.

BUSH comes with everything that is required to make it work.
After some small changes for Debian (which I've reported to upstream)
it compiles out of the box.

I do not intend to become a Debian package maintainer, but don't
you want to package it? ;)

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver

Q:Kann mir jemand helfen? A: Du benutzt NT, Dir kann Keiner mehr helfen.

* Re: Source code of large programs wanted
@ 2005-03-04 19:30       ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2005-03-04 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > No big deal - only about 14K lines.
>
> Thanks for the reference.  Based on what I have
> been able to find so far (and excluding the GNAT sources),
> the size of your program puts it at the larger
> end of the publicly available Ada sources.
    Did you look at Claw, GWindows, JEWL, and Windex?  There's been
a lot of Ada source on the CDROM that used to come from Walnut Creek,
then U Wash Saint Louis IIRC.  You might search www.adaic.org for
words likely to appear in source code, eg "package" "loop", etc.
Looking at a list (from last October) of the .zip files on adapower,
which may contain source as well as exes, the large ones are:
 6534664  7/ 7/2003 http://www.adapower.com/gnatcom/ax602.zip
 1340608  7/ 7/2003 http://www.adapower.com/pragmada/mine_detector.zip
  886754  7/ 7/2003 http://www.adapower.com/gwindows/gwindows-1_1p.zip
  526623  7/ 7/2003 http://www.adapower.com/gwindows/gwindows-20030401.zip
  497181  7/ 7/2003 http://www.adapower.com/gwindows/gwindows-1_0p.zip
  455041  7/ 7/2003 http://www.adapower.com/os/finder.zip
  436012  7/ 7/2003 http://www.adapower.com/gnatcom/gnatcom-20030401.zip
  389517  7/ 7/2003 http://www.adapower.com/os/orbexe.zip
  311468  4/19/1999 http://www.cs.uofs.edu/~beidler/Ada/ds/uofs_ds2.zip
  296388  7/ 7/2003 http://www.adapower.com/learn/ada-distilled-code.zip
  278415  7/ 7/2003 http://www.adapower.com/gwindows/redist-20030401.zip
  276347  7/ 7/2003 http://www.adapower.com/gnatcom/wintlb.zip
  236386  7/ 7/2003 http://www.adapower.com/lang/diners_exe.zip
  219005  7/ 7/2003 http://www.adapower.com/pragmada/pragmarc.zip
  216821  7/ 7/2003 http://www.adapower.com/gnatcom/gnatwin.zip
  197775  7/ 7/2003 http://www.adapower.com/gwindows/gwindows-ref.zip
  176298  7/ 7/2003 http://www.adapower.com/gnatcom/gnatcom-html.zip
  109083  7/ 7/2003 http://www.adapower.com/gnatcom/mfc.zip

* Re: Source code of large programs wanted
@ 2005-03-05  0:22         ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2005-03-05  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adrian Knoth writes:

>>> Do we already have a BUSH-package? ;)
>
>> Also note that BUSH depends on APQ and, I think, the Booch Components.
>> You'd want to package them too.
>
> BUSH comes with everything that is required to make it work.
> After some small changes for Debian (which I've reported to upstream)
> it compiles out of the box.

Yes, it contains copies of APQ and the Booch Components.  In a proper
distribution, you would remove them from the sources and build against
shared APQ and shared Booch Components instead.

> I do not intend to become a Debian package maintainer, but don't you
> want to package it? ;)

I have stated this before: no.  I already maintain 18 packages (19 if
you count the Debian policy for Ada).  I do this on my own free time,
after work, and nobody pays me to do it.  If I should maintain more
packages, I would spread myself too thin to do a good job.  In fact,
bugs #297980 and #297985 suggest this is already the case.

Moreover, I have been maintaining most of Debian's Ada packages
single-handledly for more than a year now.  I would really appreciate
it if somebody would step up to become a co-maintainer.  I'm willing
to help anyone get started.  Even if you don't want to spend too much
time doing this, you can still contribute patches and bug reports;
these are well appreciated.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Source code of large programs wanted
@ 2005-03-05  1:09         ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2005-03-05  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Thanks for the reference.  Based on what I have
>been able to find so far (and excluding the GNAT sources),
>the size of your program puts it at the larger
>end of the publicly available Ada sources.

The GNAT sources are certainly publicly available, and are a large program.

You've been pointed to many sources of Ada code that are larger than 14
KLOC. Have you looked at the PragmAda Reusable Components
(http://home.earthlink.net/~jrcarter010/pragmarc.htm)? You can also look
at the source for the Mine Detector game
(http://home.earthlink.net/~jrcarter010/mindet.html). It's only about
1000 LOC (excluding GtkAda).

--
Jeff Carter
"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time."