From: ahlan.marriott@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Using Gnat.Sockets in a Windows DLL
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 12:25:23 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2016-01-13T12:25:23-08:00	[thread overview]

On Thursday, 26 November 2015 08:57:02 UTC+1, ah...@marriott.org  wrote:
> We have windows programs and DLLs that use the Windows WinSock API directly.
> In order to make this code target independent (at least for Linux & OSX) we thought we should convert the code to use Gnat.Sockets.
> This is relatively trivial.
> Or at least it is for programs.
> When we try to convert our DLLs we run into a linker problem.
> If all we do is a "with Gnat.Sockets" then using GprBuild produces lots of messages saying that various entry points could not be found.
> See below.
> I recognize many of them as being in WS2_32.dll - which GprBuild finds when we build our programs (its in Windows/System32)
> Except that the names are not quite right so I suspect that this is the root cause of the problem.
> Has anyone any idea why a build of a DLL should behave differently to a build of a program with respect to name mangling?
>
> Best wishes,
> Ahlan
> -----------
>
> gprbuild -d -PD:\Binary\Ada\tools\cal_dll\Cal_Dll.gpr -XWIN32ADA_BUILD=default -XLIBRARY_TYPE=static
> gprlib.exe Cal_Dll.lexch
> gnatbind -n -o b__Cal_Dll.adb -LCal_Dll -a -E D:\Binary\Ada\tools\cal_dll\objects\cal_dll_interface.ali
> gcc.exe -c -x ada -gnatA -gnatws b__cal_dll.adb -o b__cal_dll.o ...
> gcc.exe -shared -static-libgcc -o W:\product\windows\Cal_Dll.dll D:\Binary\Ada\tools\cal_dll\objects\cal_dll_interface.o ...
> C:\gnatpro\7.3.1\lib\gcc\i686-pc-mingw32\4.9.3\/adalib/libgnat.a(g-socket.o):g-socket.adb:(.text+0x1b46): undefined reference to `gethostname@8'
> C:\gnatpro\7.3.1\lib\gcc\i686-pc-mingw32\4.9.3\/adalib/libgnat.a(g-socket.o):g-socket.adb:(.text+0x1c9c): undefined reference to `getpeername@12'
> C:\gnatpro\7.3.1\lib\gcc\i686-pc-mingw32\4.9.3\/adalib/libgnat.a(g-socket.o):g-socket.adb:(.text+0x2323): undefined reference to `getsockopt@20'
> C:\gnatpro\7.3.1\lib\gcc\i686-pc-mingw32\4.9.3\/adalib/libgnat.a(g-socket.o):g-socket.adb:(.text+0x3518): undefined reference to `getsockopt@20'
> C:\gnatpro\7.3.1\lib\gcc\i686-pc-mingw32\4.9.3\/adalib/libgnat.a(g-socthi.o):g-socthi.adb:(.text+0x1c): undefined reference to `WSASetLastError@4'
> C:\gnatpro\7.3.1\lib\gcc\i686-pc-mingw32\4.9.3\/adalib/libgnat.a(g-socthi.o):g-socthi.adb:(.text+0x246): undefined reference to `WSASetLastError@4'
> C:\gnatpro\7.3.1\lib\gcc\i686-pc-mingw32\4.9.3\/adalib/libgnat.a(g-socthi.o):g-socthi.adb:(.text+0x27f): undefined reference to `WSASetLastError@4'
> C:\gnatpro\7.3.1\lib\gcc\i686-pc-mingw32\4.9.3\/adalib/libgnat.a(socket.o):socket.c:(.text+0x109): undefined reference to `_imp__getservbyname@8'
> C:\gnatpro\7.3.1\lib\gcc\i686-pc-mingw32\4.9.3\/adalib/libgnat.a(socket.o):socket.c:(.text+0x159): undefined reference to `_imp__getservbyport@8'
> C:\gnatpro\7.3.1\lib\gcc\i686-pc-mingw32\4.9.3\/adalib/libgnat.a(socket.o):socket.c:(.text+0x2a4): undefined reference to `__WSAFDIsSet@8'
> [...]

Dear all,

It seems that this is an known problem.
At least to AdaCore.
They document it as KP-22-O331-001
The problem is fixed in GprBuild v2.2.2 that is part of Gnat Pro 7.3.2
Otherwise the workaround is not to produce an encapsulated DLL but to produce a standard DLL and link in the static version of the Gnat runtime using Library_options.
A standard DLL will link WS2_32 and linking in the static runtime will produce a standalone DLL.

MfG
Ahlan