From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: Using Gnat.Sockets in a Windows DLL
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 16:58:59 +0100
Date: 2015-12-09T16:58:59+01:00	[thread overview]

On Wed, 9 Dec 2015 07:06:37 -0800 (PST), ahlan@marriott.org wrote:

> Is there a way that we can make encapsulated DLLs that use Gnat.sockets?

You could copy GNAT.Sockets source files into your project and patch them a
bit.

> It should be possible because, at the end of the day, Gnat Sockets is
> using the same Windows API that Win32 uses.

Maybe yes, maybe no. There might be some initialization required and/or
conflicts when statically linked.

But if you are going to use Windows API, then your library would not be
portable. Thus there is not much sense to use GNAT.Sockets. The beauty of
GNAT.Sockets is that it is same under Windows, Linux, VxWorks.

Use Winsock2 straight away. There is no much difference to GNAT.Sockets
anyway (except for socket selector).

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov