* [ARTICLE] Introducing the Ada programming language
@ 2002-09-24  9:34 CodeMage
From: CodeMage @ 2002-09-24  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jim Rogers has written a thorough introduction to the Ada programming
language for the CodeMages Community web site, illustrating Ada's syntax and
features with a lot of example code and by comparing Ada with better known
languages like C++ and Java.

If you are interested to know more about this fascinating language then read
the complete article in the Coding | Ada section of the CodeMages Community
web site at:
http://www.crystalcode.com/codemage/goto.php?url=IntroducingAda

We would love to get some feedback on this article (and others) in the form
of an e-mail to codemage@crystalcode.com (which will be forwarded to the
author) or in the form of a discussion with the author and other members on
the CodeMages Community Forum.

Also, our brand new developers community needs more serious contributors
like Jim who can write high quality technical articles about software
development or web design techniques. For more information and other
contribution possibilities please write to codemage@crystalcode.com or visit
the CodeMages Community web site at http://www.crystalcode.com/codemage

Thanks for your time,

----
CodeMage
The CodeMages Community
------------
E-mail: codemage@crystalcode.com
Web site: http://www.crystalcode.com/codemage
Forum: http://www.crystalcode.com/codemageforum
(register for free at
http://www.crystalcode.com/codemageforum/member.php?action=reg to join in
the discussions)

* Re: [ARTICLE] Introducing the Ada programming language
       [not found] <pmWj9.1038536$oa7.35341868@Flipper>
@ 2002-09-24 18:35 ` Richard Riehle
From: Richard Riehle @ 2002-09-24 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

The following was recently posted on comp.programming.

It is probably of interest to readers of comp.lang.ada

Richard Riehle

@ 2002-09-25 22:21 ` Wes Groleau
From: Wes Groleau @ 2002-09-25 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

CodeMage wrote:
> Jim Rogers has written a thorough introduction to the Ada programming
> language ....

Looks like a pretty good article.

> If you are interested ....
> http://www.crystalcode.com/codemage/goto.php?url=IntroducingAda
>
> We would love to get some feedback on this article (and others) in the form
> of an e-mail to codemage@crystalcode.com (which will be forwarded to the
> author) or in the form of a discussion with the author and other members on
> the CodeMages Community Forum.

Forward this to the webmaster rather than the author.

On Netscape 4.79, the nav sidebar sits on top of the article text.

On Internet Explorer 6.0, the window is solid white--no text.

On Opera .... not only is this one of the few pages that I've
crash Opera, but it also changed my Opera preferences to return
to that URI every time--and crash before I can change it back!

--
Wes Groleau
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~wgroleau

* Re: [ARTICLE] Introducing the Ada programming language
@ 2002-09-25 22:49   ` Wes Groleau
From: Wes Groleau @ 2002-09-25 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Groleau wrote:
> Forward this to the webmaster rather than the author.

Never mind--guy next door sees it fine in both Opera and IE6.
Must be a Windows 2000 problem.

--

@ 2002-09-26  2:36     ` SteveD
From: SteveD @ 2002-09-26  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Wes Groleau" <wwgrol@sparc01.ftw.rsc.raytheon.com> wrote in message

> Wes Groleau wrote:
> > Forward this to the webmaster rather than the author.
>
> Never mind--guy next door sees it fine in both Opera and IE6.
> Must be a Windows 2000 problem.

I see it fine on IE6 with W2k.

SteveD

@ 2002-09-26  4:23   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-09-26  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Groleau wrote:
> CodeMage wrote:
>>If you are interested ....
>>http://www.crystalcode.com/codemage/goto.php?url=IntroducingAda
>
> Forward this to the webmaster rather than the author.
>
> On Netscape 4.79, the nav sidebar sits on top of the article text.
>
> On Internet Explorer 6.0, the window is solid white--no text.

It looks pretty nice on my Mozilla-Win2k setup.

Rather than insist that things look great on my setup, I generally run
pages with odd-looking output through the HTML validator. If there is an
HTML error, I complain about the error(s) (along with the weirdness I
see in my setup). If there isn't a error, then (aside from possible
pathalogical style settings) I can assume the problem is with my browser.

In this case, a run with
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.crystalcode.com%2Fcodemage%2FMainMenu%2FCoding%2FAda%2FIntroducingAda.php&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline
shows that this page is indeed invalid HTML. It doesn't even have a
doctype tag, so the validator can't even begin to process it. If I guess
that the author was shooting for HTML 4.01 transitional (generally the
wisest choice for folk who don't even know about doctype tags), I get
150 errors.

So this page does indeed appear to have big problems, and I would not be
at all suprised to find that it renders quite differently on different
brower/OS combos (depending on each brower's extension support and error
recovery mechanisims, and perhaps lunar cycle).

* Re: [ARTICLE] Introducing the Ada programming language
@ 2002-09-26  9:06     ` CodeMage
From: CodeMage @ 2002-09-26  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ted Dennison" <dennison@telepath.com> wrote in message
[snip]
> So this page does indeed appear to have big problems, and I would not be
> at all suprised to find that it renders quite differently on different
> brower/OS combos (depending on each brower's extension support and error
> recovery mechanisims, and perhaps lunar cycle).

Hey, we've just started this new site :)

Don't worry, check back in a week or less and everything will be fine! I
would appreciate other OS/browser test results to improve the site even
more. So far I have collected a number of constructive remarks that will be
implemented before the week is over.

CodeMage

* Re: [ARTICLE] Introducing the Ada programming language
@ 2002-09-26 10:38       ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-09-26 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 09:06:15 GMT, CodeMage wrote:
> Don't worry, check back in a week or less and everything will be fine! I
> would appreciate other OS/browser test results to improve the site even
> more. So far I have collected a number of constructive remarks that will be
> implemented before the week is over.

Why does this site require javascript? When one uses browsers like:
lynx, links and w3m on do not have javascript.

Preben

* Re: [ARTICLE] Introducing the Ada programming language
@ 2002-09-26 11:06         ` CodeMage
From: CodeMage @ 2002-09-26 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Preben Randhol" <randhol+news@pvv.org> wrote in message
[snip]
> Why does this site require javascript? When one uses browsers like:
> lynx, links and w3m on do not have javascript.

It's a Utopia for every web designer to reach 100% compatibility and
accessibility with all the different browsers out there unless the site
serves plain text only and even then someone will complain that it doesn't
fit on the screen of his/her WAP device :)

If you use cascading stylesheets, somebody will not be able to view your
site.
If you use JavaScript, somebody will not be able to view your site.
And so on and on...

We do aim to get close to the 100% and therefore I have already started
moving some functionality from client side scripts (e.g. JavaScript) to
server side scripts (e.g. PHP).

Furthermore, soon there will be a printer friendly (and I guess text browser
friendly) version of every article currently published on the site.
Remember, the site is being developed and shaped according to the wishes of
the visitors, readers and members of the CodeMages Community.

Kind regards,

CodeMage

* Re: [ARTICLE] Introducing the Ada programming language
@ 2002-09-26 11:13           ` Preben Randhol
                             ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-09-26 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:06:37 GMT, CodeMage wrote:

> It's a Utopia for every web designer to reach 100% compatibility and
> accessibility with all the different browsers out there unless the site
> serves plain text only and even then someone will complain that it doesn't
> fit on the screen of his/her WAP device :)
>
> If you use cascading stylesheets, somebody will not be able to view your
> site.
> If you use JavaScript, somebody will not be able to view your site.
> And so on and on...

Yes I don't say that you shouldn't use this things. I just say that
there should be a reason for using it. So I was wondering what the
javascript is used for as I can read the articles without problem in a
javascript-less browser. :-)

> We do aim to get close to the 100% and therefore I have already started
> moving some functionality from client side scripts (e.g. JavaScript) to
> server side scripts (e.g. PHP).

Nice :-)

@ 2002-09-26 11:24     ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2002-09-26 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:
: shows that this page is indeed invalid HTML. It doesn't even have a
: doctype tag, so the validator can't even begin to process it. [...]
: (generally the
: wisest choice for folk who don't even know about doctype tags), I get
: 150 errors.

That's a doctype declaration, not a tag. :-)

-- Georg

* Re: [ARTICLE] Introducing the Ada programming language
@ 2002-09-26 11:39             ` CodeMage
From: CodeMage @ 2002-09-26 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Preben Randhol" <randhol+news@pvv.org> wrote in message
[snip]
> Yes I don't say that you shouldn't use this things. I just say that
> there should be a reason for using it. So I was wondering what the
> javascript is used for as I can read the articles without problem in a
> javascript-less browser. :-)

Ah! Thanks for letting me type that whole explanation first :P

Actually, at the moment JavaScript is only used to display today's date and
to implement jumps (redirects) to certain pages. I intend to write a
replacement function in PHP to display today's date and to use proper HTTP
redirects to replace the page jumps.

Kind regards,

CodeMage

* Re: [ARTICLE] Introducing the Ada programming language
@ 2002-09-26 12:14           ` Samuel Tardieu
From: Samuel Tardieu @ 2002-09-26 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

codemage> If you use cascading stylesheets, somebody will not be able
codemage> to view your site.

What do you mean? Unless a browser is plain buggy and thinks it can
interpret CSS while it can't, any conforming browser should be able to
see a site using only HTML + CSS (in the worst case, CSS will be
ignored).

For example, as far as I know, any browser can read my CSS-enabled WWW
site http://www.rfc1149.net/

  Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam@rfc1149.net -- http://www.rfc1149.net/sam

* Re: [ARTICLE] Introducing the Ada programming language
@ 2002-09-26 12:20     ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2002-09-26 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I had the same Netscape problem with NT-4.0 so it may be something else. Or
maybe the webmaster got it fixed. Whatever it is, it ought to be changed to
something a little less troublesome because you can't write a web page and
insist the entire world upgrade to something else in order to read it.

MDC
Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jast.mil/

Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ a c m . o r g

    "I'd trade it all for just a little more"
        --  Charles Montgomery Burns, [4F10]

@ 2002-09-26 12:24           ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2002-09-26 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1TBk9.1131510$oa7.38447818@Flipper>, "CodeMage" <codemage@crystalcode.com> writes:

> "Preben Randhol" <randhol+news@pvv.org> wrote in message
> [snip]
>> Why does this site require javascript? When one uses browsers like:
>> lynx, links and w3m on do not have javascript.
>
> It's a Utopia for every web designer to reach 100% compatibility and
> accessibility with all the different browsers out there unless the site
> serves plain text only and even then someone will complain that it doesn't
> fit on the screen of his/her WAP device :)

I recommend site designers start by checking against:

	http://validator.w3.org

If it passes that test, we can go after the browser manufacturers.

* Re: [ARTICLE] Introducing the Ada programming language
@ 2002-09-26 20:16             ` CodeMage
From: CodeMage @ 2002-09-26 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Samuel Tardieu" <sam@rfc1149.net> wrote in message

> codemage> If you use cascading stylesheets, somebody will not be able
> codemage> to view your site.
>
> What do you mean? Unless a browser is plain buggy and thinks it can
> interpret CSS while it can't, any conforming browser should be able to
> see a site using only HTML + CSS (in the worst case, CSS will be
> ignored).

Let me rephrase that: "If you use CSS, somebody will not be able to view
your site the way it was intended."

Just like using JavaScript or browser-dependent HTML tags: your site may
look the way it was intended on 90% of the browsers used worldwide, but the
remaining 10% might have JavaScript disabled or some other essential feature
is missing from their configuration. Therefore, to increase the number of
potential visitors who can view your site content correctly (the way that
you intended) you need to decrease the amount of "fancy features".

By the way, "conforming browser" is a contradictio in terminis :)
You wouldn't believe the number of different browsers out there... it is for
a good reason that web designers don't try to get the 100% compatibility and
accessibility anymore: there's just too many different browsers conforming
to as many different standards.

CodeMage

* Re: [ARTICLE] Introducing the Ada programming language
@ 2002-09-27 11:40               ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-09-27 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:39:52 GMT, CodeMage wrote:
> Actually, at the moment JavaScript is only used to display today's date and

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.date.php

Preben

* Re: [ARTICLE] Introducing the Ada programming language
@ 2002-09-30 17:03               ` Mats Karlssohn
From: Mats Karlssohn @ 2002-09-30 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

CodeMage wrote:
%<
> Let me rephrase that: "If you use CSS, somebody will not be able to view
> your site the way it was intended."

Well "the way it was intended", that's really the problem, you provide
the
information and I'd like to be able to override the presentation
attributes,
like fonts/sizes, backgounds... The way I see it that's what HTML was
designed to do, and it's still what it can do best.

--
Mats Karlssohn, developer                         mailto:mats@mida.se
Mida Systemutveckling AB                          http://www.mida.se

* Re: [ARTICLE] Introducing the Ada programming language
@ 2002-09-30 22:55                 ` CodeMage
From: CodeMage @ 2002-09-30 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Mats Karlssohn" <mats@mida.se> wrote in message
> Well "the way it was intended", that's really the problem, you provide
> the
> information and I'd like to be able to override the presentation
> attributes,
> like fonts/sizes, backgounds... The way I see it that's what HTML was
> designed to do, and it's still what it can do best.

We do listen to all the constructive criticism we get :)

We have presently implemented a number of improvements to the appearance of
the site in general and to the appearance of the technical articles in
particular. Every technical article now has a plain version which doesn't
use CSS and allows the reader to modify the text size or colors in any way
that s/he wants.

The excellent "Introducing Ada" article written by Jim Rogers may now be
viewed in the standard formatted version
(http://www.crystalcode.com/codemage/goto.php?url=IntroducingAda) or in the
plain version (click on the "Plain version" option at the top of the
article) for improved readability. The direct URL for the plain version is:
http://www.crystalcode.com/codemage/MainMenu/Coding/Ada/PLAINIntroducingAda.
php

There is also a News Item on the site that explains what has been improved
besides the above.

CodeMage

* Re: [ARTICLE] Introducing the Ada programming language
@ 2002-09-30 23:02                   ` CodeMage
From: CodeMage @ 2002-09-30 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The direct URL for the plain version is:

http://www.crystalcode.com/codemage/MainMenu/Coding/Ada/PLAINIntroducingAda.
> php

Drat! I hope that URL doesn't look like that in your news reader :(

If it does, try this one:
http://crystalcode.com/codemage/goto.php?url=PIntroducingAda

CodeMage

* Re: [ARTICLE] Introducing the Ada programming language
@ 2002-10-01  7:26                   ` Fraser Wilson
From: Fraser Wilson @ 2002-10-01  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

"CodeMage" <codemage@crystalcode.com> writes:

> We do listen to all the constructive criticism we get :)

That's quite clear; and I'd just like to drop in and say how
refreshing it is.  While the web continues its transformation into a
commercial mess, sites like yours remind what was good about it in the
first place.

So, well, cheers, love your work.

Fraser.

* Re: [ARTICLE] Introducing the Ada programming language
@ 2002-10-01  9:39                     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-10-01  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 23:02:00 GMT, CodeMage wrote:
>> The direct URL for the plain version is:
>>
> http://www.crystalcode.com/codemage/MainMenu/Coding/Ada/PLAINIntroducingAda.
>> php
>
> Drat! I hope that URL doesn't look like that in your news reader :(
>
> If it does, try this one:
> http://crystalcode.com/codemage/goto.php?url=PIntroducingAda

Could you later when you have time make this page valid:

   http://www.crystalcode.com/codemage/MainMenu/Coding/Ada/

It would be nice if it had a overview of the stuff concerning Ada. I
mean it is easier to direct people to a static address on say a
web-page.

Preben

* Re: [ARTICLE] Introducing the Ada programming language
@ 2002-10-01 11:38                       ` CodeMage
From: CodeMage @ 2002-10-01 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Preben Randhol" <randhol+news@pvv.org> wrote in message
[snip]
> Could you later when you have time make this page valid:
>
>    http://www.crystalcode.com/codemage/MainMenu/Coding/Ada/
>
> It would be nice if it had a overview of the stuff concerning Ada. I
> mean it is easier to direct people to a static address on say a
> web-page.

How about this one:

http://crystalcode.com/codemage/goto.php?url=Ada

or, equivalently (but longer; might appear broken in your news reader):

http://crystalcode.com/codemage/MainMenu/Coding/Ada/Overview.php

CodeMage

* Re: [ARTICLE] Introducing the Ada programming language
@ 2002-10-01 13:17                         ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-10-01 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 01 Oct 2002 11:38:20 GMT, CodeMage wrote:
> How about this one:
>
> http://crystalcode.com/codemage/goto.php?url=Ada

I'm usually a bit weary about the links with ?... as they tend to be
broken or the layout of the site has changed to f.ex: ?language=Ada
etc...

> or, equivalently (but longer; might appear broken in your news reader):
>
> http://crystalcode.com/codemage/MainMenu/Coding/Ada/Overview.php

This looks ok.

What if you add Overview.php to DirectoryIndex in the apache config.
Then one only need http://crystalcode.com/codemage/MainMenu/Coding/Ada/

Preben

From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-10-01 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002 13:17:06 +0000 (UTC), Preben Randhol wrote:
> I'm usually a bit weary about the links with ?... as they tend to be
> broken or the layout of the site has changed to f.ex: ?language=Ada
                ^^^^^^
                setup
Preben

* Re: [ARTICLE] Introducing the Ada programming language
                             ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-10-01 21:08           ` Wes Groleau
From: Wes Groleau @ 2002-10-01 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> If you use cascading stylesheets, somebody will not be able to view your
> site.
> If you use JavaScript, somebody will not be able to view your site.
> And so on and on...

If you use text, everybody will be able to view your site.

Unfortunately, that also means that 50% will not read word one,
because without blinking lights, it's obviously BORING!  :-)

Actually, I _do_ use cascading stylesheets, and my website
is readable by Netscape 3, NS 4, NS 6, NS 7, IE 5, IE 6, Opera,
OmniWeb, iCab, Lynx, and WebTV.  On Mac, Solaris, and Windows.

(Though there are occasional glitches)

--

@ 2002-10-01 23:02                           ` CodeMage
From: CodeMage @ 2002-10-01 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Preben Randhol" <randhol+news@pvv.org> wrote in message
[snip]
> What if you add Overview.php to DirectoryIndex in the apache config.
> Then one only need
> http://crystalcode.com/codemage/MainMenu/Coding/Ada/

Done...

Phew, you are a demanding reader! ;-)

Thanks to you there are now at least 3 ways to get an overview of the Ada
articles on the site :)

Don't write me if I suddenly move the whole site to a different domain or
folder! :P

CodeMage

* Re: [ARTICLE] Introducing the Ada programming language
@ 2002-10-02  9:34                             ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-10-02  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 01 Oct 2002 23:02:55 GMT, CodeMage wrote:
> Phew, you are a demanding reader! ;-)

:-)

> Thanks to you there are now at least 3 ways to get an overview of the Ada
> articles on the site :)

Thanks.

> Don't write me if I suddenly move the whole site to a different domain or
> folder! :P

I guess you then can put up a symlink ;-)

Preben

* Re: [ARTICLE] Introducing the Ada programming language
@ 2002-10-02 13:42 ` Daniel Dudley
From: Daniel Dudley @ 2002-10-02 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

PDF-documents for downloading would be preferred. One may
then read articles at ones leisure, and print them out!

Daniel

@ 2002-10-02 14:19   ` CodeMage
From: CodeMage @ 2002-10-02 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Daniel Dudley" <dudley@online.no> wrote in message
> PDF-documents for downloading would be preferred. One may
> then read articles at ones leisure, and print them out!

Maybe later. What's wrong with viewing HTML documents off-line (and printing
them)?

CodeMage

* Re: [ARTICLE] Introducing the Ada programming language
@ 2002-10-02 16:20     ` Wes Groleau
From: Wes Groleau @ 2002-10-02 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

CodeMage wrote:
> Maybe later. What's wrong with viewing HTML documents off-line (and printing
> them)?

As you and others pointed out, HTML too often
is not readable in some environments.  Printing
it can be even worse, especially when it's full of
too much unnecessary "decoration."  (Hint: CSS
can help the printing problem, but can't cure it.)

PDF is not immune to bugs, but it seems to get
bit far less often.

--

@ 2002-10-02 23:55   ` Richard Riehle
From: Richard Riehle @ 2002-10-02 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Daniel Dudley wrote:

> PDF-documents for downloading would be preferred. One may
> then read articles at ones leisure, and print them out!

If you want a PDF document that describes Ada, you could download
my little booklet, Ada Distilled, from www.adaic.org or
www.adapower.com.

Richard Riehle

* Re: [ARTICLE] Introducing the Ada programming language
@ 2002-10-03  5:02     ` Jim Rogers
From: Jim Rogers @ 2002-10-03  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Riehle wrote:

> Daniel Dudley wrote:
>

>>PDF-documents for downloading would be preferred. One may
>>then read articles at ones leisure, and print them out!
>>

> If you want a PDF document that describes Ada, you could download
> my little booklet, Ada Distilled, from www.adaic.org or
> www.adapower.com.

Yes, Ada Distilled is much more complete than my relatively small
article on the CodeMages site.

Jim Rogers

* Re: [ARTICLE] Introducing the Ada programming language
@ 2002-10-03 15:07     ` Daniel Dudley
From: Daniel Dudley @ 2002-10-03 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Richard Riehle" <richard@adaworks.com> wrote in
message news:3D9B8769.B272BAC5@adaworks.com...
> Daniel Dudley wrote:
>
> > PDF-documents for downloading would be preferred. One may
> > then read articles at ones leisure, and print them out!
>
> If you want a PDF document that describes Ada, you could
> download my little booklet, Ada Distilled, from
> www.adaic.org or www.adapower.com.

Richard, I did that a very long time ago -- many thanks.
No, my message was meant as a general suggestion, ie. for
all articles on the CodeMage.

Daniel

* Re: [ARTICLE] Introducing the Ada programming language
@ 2002-10-03 15:10       ` Jerry Petrey
From: Jerry Petrey @ 2002-10-03 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jim Rogers wrote:

> Richard Riehle wrote:
>

> > If you want a PDF document that describes Ada, you could download
> > my little booklet, Ada Distilled, from www.adaic.org or
> > www.adapower.com.
>
> Yes, Ada Distilled is much more complete than my relatively small
> article on the CodeMages site.
>
> Jim Rogers

Your article is outstanding, Jim!  It is a great, concise introduction to Ada.

Richard's is also extremely well done.  I applaud both of you for helping
to promote the language, especially at a time when so many outsiders think
the language is dead.  Hopefully, efforts like these will help more people C
the beauty, power and safety of this language before we all drown in a C of
errors.

Jerry

-- Jerry Petrey
-- Senior Principal Systems Engineer - Navigation (GPS/INS), Guidance, &
Control
-- Raytheon Missile Systems          - Member Team Ada & Team Forth
-- NOTE: please remove <NOSPAM> in email address to reply

* Re: [ARTICLE] Introducing the Ada programming language
@ 2002-10-05  6:31         ` Richard Riehle
From: Richard Riehle @ 2002-10-05  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jerry Petrey wrote:

> Richard's is also extremely well done.  I applaud both of you for helping
> to promote the language, especially at a time when so many outsiders think
> the language is dead.  Hopefully, efforts like these will help more people C
> the beauty, power and safety of this language before we all drown in a C of
> errors.

As a point of information, I am updating Ada Distilled (and correcting a few
small errors that have been brought to my attention by diligent readers) with
some additional examples.  I hope to have the new version posted to adapower
and adaic.org sometime in the November time frame.

Meanwhile, my thanks to the many people who have been sending me notes,
comments, and suggestions for the on-going updates.    I am still going to
strive to keep the book to around 100 pages.

Richard Riehle

* Re: [ARTICLE] Introducing the Ada programming language
@ 2002-10-10 23:12       ` CodeMage
From: CodeMage @ 2002-10-10 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> "Richard Riehle" <richard@adaworks.com> wrote in
> message news:3D9B8769.B272BAC5@adaworks.com...
> > Daniel Dudley wrote:
> >
> > > PDF-documents for downloading would be preferred. One may
> > > then read articles at ones leisure, and print them out!

A PDF version (raw and zipped) is now available for some of the articles on
the CodeMages Community site, including "Introducing Ada" by Jim Rogers.

Download (or view) it by selecting the right option at the top of the
article on the site, or directly from:
http://crystalcode.com/codemage/goto.php?url=PDFAda

Regards,

CodeMage

* Re: [ARTICLE] Introducing the Ada programming language
@ 2002-10-11 10:34         ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-10-11 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

CodeMage wrote:

> A PDF version (raw and zipped) is now available for some of the articles on
> the CodeMages Community site, including "Introducing Ada" by Jim Rogers.

Excellent job! Keep up the good work!

Preben
--
Ada95 is good for you.
http://libre.act-europe.fr/Software_Matters/02-C_pitfalls.pdf

* Re: [ARTICLE] Introducing the Ada programming language
@ 2002-10-11 16:12         ` Daniel Dudley
From: Daniel Dudley @ 2002-10-11 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> "Daniel Dudley" <dudley@online.no> wrote in message
> > "Richard Riehle" <richard@adaworks.com> wrote in
> > message news:3D9B8769.B272BAC5@adaworks.com...

> A PDF version (raw and zipped) is now available for some of the
> articles on the CodeMages Community site, including "Introducing
>  Ada" by Jim Rogers.
>
> Download (or view) it by selecting the right option at the top of
> the article on the site, or directly from:
> http://crystalcode.com/codemage/goto.php?url=PDFAda

Great! And much appreciated.

If you want some help with adding bookmarks, links etc. to
the PDF documents, I'll be pleased to help.

Daniel

* Re: [ARTICLE] Introducing the Ada programming language
@ 2002-10-15 16:34         ` Wes Groleau
From: Wes Groleau @ 2002-10-15 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

CodeMage wrote:
> A PDF version (raw and zipped) is now available for some of the articles on
> the CodeMages Community site, including "Introducing Ada" by Jim Rogers.

"raw" is a good description of it, unfortunately.
Try to print a page or two....

--

@ 2002-10-15 17:43           ` CodeMage
From: CodeMage @ 2002-10-15 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Wes Groleau" <wesgroleau@despammed.com> wrote in message

> CodeMage wrote:
> > A PDF version (raw and zipped) is now available for some of the articles
on
> > the CodeMages Community site, including "Introducing Ada" by Jim Rogers.
>
> "raw" is a good description of it, unfortunately.
> Try to print a page or two....

I have printed more than a page or two and I see no problem with it...

CodeMage