* Ada for Palm ?
@ 2002-03-22  8:43 D De Villiers
From: D De Villiers @ 2002-03-22  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Howdy !

O'Boy! I always ask this question when I start using a new language (Ada
just for the hobbiest !)

Is there a Ada for PalmOS handheld devices ? I just like programmming while
on the go (even in the swimming pool!) :-)

--

Lennie De Villiers

PL/I for Palm Project: http://www.crosswinds.net/~lennie2000/comp/PLI_Palm/
e (Exclamation) Programming Language:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~lennie2000/comp/e_lang/

* Re: Ada for Palm ?
@ 2002-03-22 23:56 ` Samuel Tardieu
From: Samuel Tardieu @ 2002-03-22 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22/03, D De Villiers wrote:

| Is there a Ada for PalmOS handheld devices ? I just like programmming while
| on the go (even in the swimming pool!) :-)

Go for Forth instead: interactive language are much more easier to use on
the Palm.

You could quite easily target a GNAT compiler for the Palm, but it would
run on a different host. Tasking would probably be reduced to a subset such
a Spark, using cooperative multitasking.

  Sam

* Re: Ada for Palm ?
@ 2002-03-23  1:57   ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2002-03-23  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Samuel Tardieu wrote:

> On 22/03, D De Villiers wrote:
>
> | Is there a Ada for PalmOS handheld devices ? I just like programmming while
> | on the go (even in the swimming pool!) :-)
>
> Go for Forth instead: interactive language are much more easier to use on
> the Palm.
>
> You could quite easily target a GNAT compiler for the Palm, but it would
> run on a different host. Tasking would probably be reduced to a subset such
> a Spark, using cooperative multitasking.

I think there's a JVM for the Palm, so an Ada-to-Jcode compiler might be
an option.

--
Jeff Carter
"I fart in your general direction."

* Re: Ada for Palm ?
@ 2002-03-23  3:28 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-03-23  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

"D De Villiers" <~ddevilliers99@lando.co.za> wrote in message news:<a7gb8r$r78$1@ctb-nnrp1.saix.net>...
> Howdy !
>
> O'Boy! I always ask this question when I start using a new language (Ada
> just for the hobbiest !)
>
> Is there a Ada for PalmOS handheld devices ? I just like programmming while
> on the go (even in the swimming pool!) :-)

One approach is to fiddle with a JVM and JGNAT on the palm.
We actually got an Ada program working on the Palm using
this approach, but it was just a demo for fun, we did not
follow it up further.

* Re: Ada for Palm ?
@ 2002-03-23  9:02   ` Samuel Tardieu
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Samuel Tardieu @ 2002-03-23  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22/03, Robert Dewar wrote:

| > Is there a Ada for PalmOS handheld devices ? I just like programmming while
| > on the go (even in the swimming pool!) :-)
|
| One approach is to fiddle with a JVM and JGNAT on the palm.
| We actually got an Ada program working on the Palm using
| this approach, but it was just a demo for fun, we did not
| follow it up further.

Sure, but this doesn't allow "programming while on the go", as you need a
separate computer to host your Ada to {native,java} compiler.

* Re: Ada for Palm ?
@ 2002-03-23 11:04       ` Samuel Tardieu
From: Samuel Tardieu @ 2002-03-23 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23/03, Adrian Hoe wrote:

| Is Villiers asking for an Ada compiler which works on the Palm? I think
| Villiers wanted to write Ada program and compile it on the Palm.
|
| Boy.. I am little confused.

No, you're not, it's only because I made the assumption (which I still hold)
that you do not have enough memory on the Palm to host the Ada compiler
there (be it executed by the JVM).

Have a look at a typical GNAT executable (not including the runtime), you
will see that it is unlikely to go under 8MB (or even 16MB) of size.

On the other hand, a Forth compiler takes typically 50kB on the Palm, that's
why I suggested using this language instead for on the road programming.

  Sam

* Re: Ada for Palm ?
@ 2002-03-23 11:27     ` Adrian Hoe
From: Adrian Hoe @ 2002-03-23 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Samuel Tardieu wrote:

> On 22/03, Robert Dewar wrote:
>
> | > Is there a Ada for PalmOS handheld devices ? I just like programmming while
> | > on the go (even in the swimming pool!) :-)
> |
> | One approach is to fiddle with a JVM and JGNAT on the palm.
> | We actually got an Ada program working on the Palm using
> | this approach, but it was just a demo for fun, we did not
> | follow it up further.
>
> Sure, but this doesn't allow "programming while on the go", as you need a
> separate computer to host your Ada to {native,java} compiler.

Is Villiers asking for an Ada compiler which works on the Palm? I think
Villiers wanted to write Ada program and compile it on the Palm.

Boy.. I am little confused.
--
Remove *nospam* to e-mail me.          -- Adrian Hoe
                                       -- http://adrianhoe.com

* Re: Ada for Palm ?
@ 2002-03-23 14:29   ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2002-03-23 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

A fun project might be to build a port of the
Bush shell for Palm http://www.vaxxine.com/pegasoft/downloads/bushguide.html
For the kinds of things you would want to actually do on the road it would
be sufficient.

I suspect one could get that small enough to fit..Of course someone has to
build a cross
compiler first (or look into using JGNAT)...When I first got my palm a few
years back I did sort of
get a no runtime port to at least compile. (had a xgcc executable).
I remeber  running into many problems because the GCC patches for
palm were for a much older version of GCC than GNAT was using...

"Robert Dewar" <dewar@gnat.com> wrote in message
> "D De Villiers" <~ddevilliers99@lando.co.za> wrote in message
> > Howdy !
> >
> > O'Boy! I always ask this question when I start using a new language (Ada
> > just for the hobbiest !)
> >
> > Is there a Ada for PalmOS handheld devices ? I just like programmming
while
> > on the go (even in the swimming pool!) :-)
>
> One approach is to fiddle with a JVM and JGNAT on the palm.
> We actually got an Ada program working on the Palm using
> this approach, but it was just a demo for fun, we did not
> follow it up further.

* Re: Ada for Palm ?
@ 2002-03-24 15:18   ` D De Villiers
From: D De Villiers @ 2002-03-24 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Samuel Tardieu,

> Go for Forth instead: interactive language are much more easier to use on
> the Palm.

No, Thanks! I've did use Forth in the beginning and its not for me !!

> You could quite easily target a GNAT compiler for the Palm, but it would
> run on a different host. Tasking would probably be reduced to a subset
such
> a Spark, using cooperative multitasking.

GNAT ? Where I can I find more info. on it ?

--

Lennie De Villiers

PL/I for Palm Project: http://www.crosswinds.net/~lennie2000/comp/PLI_Palm/
e (Exclamation) Programming Language:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~lennie2000/comp/e_lang/
-- Romove ~ and 9s from email adress to reply --

* Re: Ada for Palm ?
@ 2002-03-24 15:20     ` D De Villiers
From: D De Villiers @ 2002-03-24 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey Carter,

> I think there's a JVM for the Palm, so an Ada-to-Jcode compiler might be
> an option.

Yes! There is a JVM for Palm :) Visit www.palmos.com for info. on PalmOS
development.

--

@ 2002-03-24 15:22   ` D De Villiers
From: D De Villiers @ 2002-03-24 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar,

> One approach is to fiddle with a JVM and JGNAT on the palm.
> We actually got an Ada program working on the Palm using
> this approach, but it was just a demo for fun, we did not
> follow it up further.

Oo' Thats good! JGNAT ? Is that like GNAT with Java JVM support ? Can you
please send me the demo that you wrote ? I will find it very interesting !
:-)

--

@ 2002-03-24 15:24     ` D De Villiers
From: D De Villiers @ 2002-03-24 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Samuel Tardieu,

> Sure, but this doesn't allow "programming while on the go", as you need a
> separate computer to host your Ada to {native,java} compiler.

Onboard programming isn't very important to me (already using SmallBASIC for
that ! : http://smallbasic.sourceforge.net/) Unfortunatly I don't have the
time to start my own "Ada for Palm" project. ! <g>

--

@ 2002-03-24 15:26       ` D De Villiers
From: D De Villiers @ 2002-03-24 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adrian Hoe,

> Is Villiers asking for an Ada compiler which works on the Palm? I think
> Villiers wanted to write Ada program and compile it on the Palm.

That doesn't matters to me ! :) A desktop PC Ada compiler would also do.

> Boy.. I am little confused.

:-)

--

Lennie De Villiers

PL/I for Palm Project: http://www.crosswinds.net/~lennie2000/comp/PLI_Palm/
e (Exclamation) Programming Language:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~lennie2000/comp/e_lang/
-- Romove ~ and 9s from email adress to reply --

* Re: Ada for Palm ?
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-03-24 19:59   ` John Kern
From: John Kern @ 2002-03-24 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was never able to get the demo (as it appears on the www.gnat.com website) working because it made use of
a library from a defunct ftp site.  Anyone else have any success?

Robert Dewar wrote:

> "D De Villiers" <~ddevilliers99@lando.co.za> wrote in message news:<a7gb8r$r78$1@ctb-nnrp1.saix.net>...
> > Howdy !
> >
> > O'Boy! I always ask this question when I start using a new language (Ada
> > just for the hobbiest !)
> >
> > Is there a Ada for PalmOS handheld devices ? I just like programmming while
> > on the go (even in the swimming pool!) :-)
>
> One approach is to fiddle with a JVM and JGNAT on the palm.
> We actually got an Ada program working on the Palm using
> this approach, but it was just a demo for fun, we did not
> follow it up further.

* Re: Ada for Palm ?
@ 2002-03-24 21:55     ` Britt Snodgrass
From: Britt Snodgrass @ 2002-03-24 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

At one time I had the library you're referring to (I guess I grabbed
it before the site went down) but I was never able to get the
JGNAT/Palm demo to work.  I asked for help on the GNAT CHAT list but
didn't get any replies.

Britt

John Kern <jkern3@corecomm.net> wrote in message news:<3c9e3012$0$1411$2c3e98f8@news.voyager.net>...
> I was never able to get the demo (as it appears on the www.gnat.com website) working because it made use of
> a library from a defunct ftp site.  Anyone else have any success?
>

> Robert Dewar wrote:
>
> > "D De Villiers" <~ddevilliers99@lando.co.za> wrote in message news:<a7gb8r$r78$1@ctb-nnrp1.saix.net>...
> > > Howdy !
> > >
> > > O'Boy! I always ask this question when I start using a new language (Ada
> > > just for the hobbiest !)
> > >
> > > Is there a Ada for PalmOS handheld devices ? I just like programmming while
> > > on the go (even in the swimming pool!) :-)
> >
> > One approach is to fiddle with a JVM and JGNAT on the palm.
> > We actually got an Ada program working on the Palm using
> > this approach, but it was just a demo for fun, we did not
> > follow it up further.

* Re: Ada for Palm ?
@ 2002-03-25  2:14       ` Adrian Hoe
From: Adrian Hoe @ 2002-03-25  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Britt Snodgrass wrote:

> At one time I had the library you're referring to (I guess I grabbed
> it before the site went down) but I was never able to get the
> JGNAT/Palm demo to work.  I asked for help on the GNAT CHAT list but
> didn't get any replies.
>
> Britt

I was looking for Ada compiler for Palm a few years back and someone
pointed me to JGNAT. It was very frustrating trying to get the demo work
on the PALM. The cross compiling of Ada application to Palm was even
more frustrating. So I dropped it.   :x

Does anyone or ACT think of building an Ada subset for Palm or other
PDAs? If yes, I am still interested to use it to make my software more
mobile.
--

@ 2002-03-25 19:09       ` John Kern
From: John Kern @ 2002-03-25 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you can send me that library, (or make it available somehow) I might
find time to try again.

Here was the dead link:
---snip from readme file---
We also use the palm-db-tools package. You must also install this tool
and set the reference in the Makefile. See:
http://vger.rutgers.edu/~tdyas/pilot/
---

Britt Snodgrass wrote:

> At one time I had the library you're referring to (I guess I grabbed
> it before the site went down) but I was never able to get the
> JGNAT/Palm demo to work.  I asked for help on the GNAT CHAT list but
> didn't get any replies.
>
> Britt
>
> John Kern <jkern3@corecomm.net> wrote in message news:<3c9e3012$0$1411$2c3e98f8@news.voyager.net>...
> > I was never able to get the demo (as it appears on the www.gnat.com website) working because it made use of
> > a library from a defunct ftp site.  Anyone else have any success?
> >

> > Robert Dewar wrote:

> > > One approach is to fiddle with a JVM and JGNAT on the palm.
> > > We actually got an Ada program working on the Palm using
> > > this approach, but it was just a demo for fun, we did not
> > > follow it up further.

* Re: Ada for Palm ?
@ 2002-03-26  0:42         ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-03-26  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Samuel Tardieu <sam@ada-france.org> wrote in message news:<mailman.1016881562.6910.comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>...
> On 23/03, Adrian Hoe wrote:
>
> Have a look at a typical GNAT executable (not including the runtime), you
> will see that it is unlikely to go under 8MB (or even 16MB) of size.

Let's not exaggerate now, the gnat1 executable on the x86
is much smaller than that (on my OS/2 machine, the exact
size is 3366916 bytes).