* Ada, Qt & Swig
@ 2000-10-17  0:00 Frode Tenneboe
From: Frode Tenneboe @ 2000-10-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was wondering if anyone has looked into the posibility of adding
Ada support into Swig (http://www.swig.org/)?

More specifically I was looking into adding a Ada binding to Qt,
and Swig seems to be a good way of doing that 'automagically'.

There is already a Ada bindign to GTK, however with the GPL of Qt
and Qt/Embedded, I was thinking that Qt might be a right option
for some. Has anyone looked into this?

Since there already exists a Qt binding for Perl, it should not
be too difficult to implement one for Ada?

 -Frode

--
^ Frode Tenneb�                    | email: ft@edh.ericsson.se      ^
| Ericsson Radar AS. N-1788 Halden |                                |

* Re: Ada, Qt & Swig
@ 2000-10-17  0:00 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2000-10-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17 Oct 2000 13:52:59 GMT, Frode Tenneboe wrote:
>There is already a Ada bindign to GTK, however with the GPL of Qt
>and Qt/Embedded, I was thinking that Qt might be a right option
>for some. Has anyone looked into this?

I'm not sure what you mean, but GTK is also GPL. Though it would
probably be nice with a QT binding as well.

>Since there already exists a Qt binding for Perl, it should not
>be too difficult to implement one for Ada?

You'll have to wrap C++ functions though.

--
Preben Randhol - Ph.D Student - [http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/]
          �Lykkelig er den som Musene har elsket.�    (Hesiod)

* Re: Ada, Qt & Swig
@ 2000-10-17 22:00   ` Frode Tennebø
From: Frode Tennebø @ 2000-10-17 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:
> On 17 Oct 2000 13:52:59 GMT, Frode Tenneboe wrote:
> >There is already a Ada bindign to GTK, however with the GPL of Qt
> >and Qt/Embedded, I was thinking that Qt might be a right option
> >for some. Has anyone looked into this?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean, but GTK is also GPL. Though it would
> probably be nice with a QT binding as well.

Qt is a commercial product - more 'sellable' to the Ties. Also, there
does not exist a GTK/Embedded. :)

> >Since there already exists a Qt binding for Perl, it should not
> >be too difficult to implement one for Ada?
>
> You'll have to wrap C++ functions though.

Perl does that already, though I'm not sure about the mechanism behind
that, but it should be doable. And GNAT has separate pragmas for C++.
I tried a rather complicated test with a commercial product, but hit
the wall when the precompilled binary was compilled with the SUN
compiler and I was not able to look further into the Vtables stuff to
see if that was the issue. I suspect that this goes away if both the
C++ and Ada code generator is gcc.

 -Frode

--
^ Frode Tenneb� | email: frodet@nvg.org | Frode@IRC  ^

@ 2000-10-18  0:00       ` Frode Tenneboe
From: Frode Tenneboe @ 2000-10-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol <randhol+abuse@pvv.org> wrote:
: On Wed, 18 Oct 2000 00:00:51 +0200, Frode Tenneb� wrote:
:>Qt is a commercial product - more 'sellable' to the Ties. Also, there
:>does not exist a GTK/Embedded. :)

: GTKAda is also commercial :-) But what do you mean by GTK/Embedded ?

Yes, but GTK is not.

Qt/Embedded: http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/embedded/index.html

 -Frode

--

@ 2000-10-18  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-10-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <j6iis8.th7.ln@leia>,
  Frode =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Tenneb=F8?= <frodet@nvg.org> wrote:

> Qt is a commercial product - more 'sellable' to the Ties.

I assume by Ties you mean Suits (either this is round trip
idiom, or it is an expression I did not hear before).

In fact GtkAda is a commercial product, and one that we have
found very good reaction to. If you are claiming that the
"Ties" are happier with proprietary software, all I can say
is that this is getting less and less true these days, and
the notion of selling supported Open Source Software is getting
more and more familiar and attractive to a lot of users.

Which makes sense, it is somewhat odd for purchasers to actively
prefer more restrictive licenses :-)

Also an interesting point here is that in these days of
interest in COTS, open source COTS is attractive, because
it addresses two of the major worries about COTS:

1. Being glued to one source of support
2. Being unable to change or modify the software if necessary

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies
(a company that successfully sells commercial open source
software :-)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Ada, Qt & Swig
@ 2000-10-18  0:00     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2000-10-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000 00:00:51 +0200, Frode Tenneb� wrote:
>Qt is a commercial product - more 'sellable' to the Ties. Also, there
>does not exist a GTK/Embedded. :)

GTKAda is also commercial :-) But what do you mean by GTK/Embedded ?

>Perl does that already, though I'm not sure about the mechanism behind
>that, but it should be doable. And GNAT has separate pragmas for C++.
>I tried a rather complicated test with a commercial product, but hit
>the wall when the precompilled binary was compilled with the SUN
>compiler and I was not able to look further into the Vtables stuff to
>see if that was the issue. I suspect that this goes away if both the
>C++ and Ada code generator is gcc.

Probably :-)

From: Preben Randhol @ 2000-10-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18 Oct 2000 10:34:45 GMT, Frode Tenneboe wrote:
>Preben Randhol <randhol+abuse@pvv.org> wrote:
>: On Wed, 18 Oct 2000 00:00:51 +0200, Frode Tenneb� wrote:
>:>Qt is a commercial product - more 'sellable' to the Ties. Also, there
>:>does not exist a GTK/Embedded. :)
>
>: GTKAda is also commercial :-) But what do you mean by GTK/Embedded ?
>
>Yes, but GTK is not.

If you use Ada it is GtkAda you'll need commercial support for. But will
you binding to QT be commercial ? :-)

>Qt/Embedded: http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/embedded/index.html

I see. I cannot find any links, but I'm sure I saw a discussion about
this on the GTK or GNOME lists. I also believe a korean company made
something like that already. Anyhow I'm pretty sure there will be a
GTK/Embedded in the future as well as Qt. :-)

--

@ 2000-10-19  0:00           ` Frode Tenneboe
From: Frode Tenneboe @ 2000-10-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol <randhol+abuse@pvv.org> wrote:
: If you use Ada it is GtkAda you'll need commercial support for. But will
: you binding to QT be commercial ? :-)

No, but I might have gotten hours from my company working on it which could
have been fun. :)

:>Qt/Embedded: http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/embedded/index.html

: I see. I cannot find any links, but I'm sure I saw a discussion about
: this on the GTK or GNOME lists. I also believe a korean company made
: something like that already. Anyhow I'm pretty sure there will be a
: GTK/Embedded in the future as well as Qt. :-)

Perhaps you are referring to: http://www.animeta.com/?

Looks interesting. However, they present little information on their
product. Will have to investigate further. Thanks.

 -Frode

--

@ 2000-10-19  0:00             ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2000-10-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19 Oct 2000 09:21:31 GMT, Frode Tenneboe wrote:
>Preben Randhol <randhol+abuse@pvv.org> wrote:
>: If you use Ada it is GtkAda you'll need commercial support for. But will
>: you binding to QT be commercial ? :-)
>
>No, but I might have gotten hours from my company working on it which could
>have been fun. :)

Ah :-)

>Perhaps you are referring to: http://www.animeta.com/?

Yes I think so. I belive there were some screenshots as well, but I
don't see them on that page.

From: Preben Randhol @ 2000-10-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000 19:18:11 GMT, Robert Dewar wrote:
>In article <j6iis8.th7.ln@leia>,
>  Frode =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Tenneb=F8?= <frodet@nvg.org> wrote:
>
>> Qt is a commercial product - more 'sellable' to the Ties.
>
>I assume by Ties you mean Suits (either this is round trip
>idiom, or it is an expression I did not hear before).

I think it is more common in Norwegian :-)

--

@ 2000-10-20  0:00     ` charlet
From: charlet @ 2000-10-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Qt is a commercial product - more 'sellable' to the Ties. Also, there
> does not exist a GTK/Embedded. :)

GtkAda is a fully supported commercial product as already mentioned
by others, and there exist actually several GTK/Embedded products.

I suspect you will find the GtkAda path more effective than the
Qt path in terms of efforts involved.

Arno

@ 2000-10-21  0:00 ` Stefan Skoglund
From: Stefan Skoglund @ 2000-10-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frode Tenneboe wrote:
> There is already a Ada bindign to GTK, however with the GPL of Qt
> and Qt/Embedded, I was thinking that Qt might be a right option
> for some. Has anyone looked into this?

Gtk+ 2.0 will include a version of Gdk which
supports the Linux frame buffer.

microwindows will also get its Gdk library.

Gdk is the X Windows/MS Windows/Frame buffer dependent
part of Gtk+.