* Static linking of GNAT library
@ 2000-08-23  0:00 colvert
From: colvert @ 2000-08-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings All,

I have a large simulation that I have developed for a customer using SG
Ada95 1.4 on a Silicon Graphics O2 platform. My customer does not have
a development environment on his platform. My simulation links with the
GNAT library shared object (libgnat-3.13w.so). Since my customer does
not have this shared object, how can I statically link in the archive
library (libgnat-3.13w.a) as part of my simulation?

I tried adding the archive to the "-largs" portion of my "gnatmake"
command, but that did not change anything. I tried to add the "-static"
option in front of that, but it complained that other objects could not
be statically linked.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. My customer
expects delivery within a week. I need to have this problem solved
quickly.

* Re: Static linking of GNAT library
@ 2000-08-23  0:00 ` Stanley R. Allen
From: Stanley R. Allen @ 2000-08-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

colvert wrote:

> I have a large simulation that I have developed for a customer using SG
> Ada95 1.4 on a Silicon Graphics O2 platform. My customer does not have
> a development environment on his platform. My simulation links with the
> GNAT library shared object (libgnat-3.13w.so). Since my customer does
> not have this shared object, how can I statically link in the archive
> library (libgnat-3.13w.a) as part of my simulation?
>
> Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. My customer
> expects delivery within a week. I need to have this problem solved
> quickly.

Since you have a "wavefront" version of GNAT, I assume that you
are a paying ACT customer, and you should exercise your right to
support from them.

--
Stanley Allen
mailto:Stanley_R_Allen-NR@raytheon.com

* Re: Static linking of GNAT library
@ 2000-08-23  0:00 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-08-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <HFSo5.6454$xz5.146980@news-east.usenetserver.com>,
  colvert@elmco.com (colvert) wrote:
> Ada95 1.4 on a Silicon Graphics O2 platform. My customer does not have
> a development environment on his platform. My simulation links with
> the GNAT library shared object (libgnat-3.13w.so). Since my customer
> does not have this shared object, how can I statically link in the
> archive library (libgnat-3.13w.a) as part of my simulation?

What's wrong with just giving your customer the library? I can't see
where there'd be any licensing issues.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Static linking of GNAT library
@ 2000-08-24  0:00     ` Simon Wright
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Simon Wright @ 2000-08-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

colvert@elmco.com (Paul Colvert) writes:

> My assigned SG engineer wrote back to tell me that "if there is C code
> mixed in, then statically linking the files is impossible as of IRIX
> 6.5." Yes, we do have some C code linked in to our simulation. Does
> that mean I will be forced to distribute the shared object library?
> Some of our customers have the old Ada 95 1.3 compiler installed. I
> don't think I can have both libraries installed!

No. But (on other Unixes, I don't know IRIX) you can play with the
library path: either LD_LIBRARY_PATH, defined first --

  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/where/your/shared/library/is
  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
  your_program

or perhaps LD_PRELOAD

  LD_PRELOAD=/where/your/shared/library/is/libwhatever.so
  export LD_PRELOAD
  your_program

(both strongly affected by whether you are root/the program is setuid
root)

HTH

-Simon

* Re: Static linking of GNAT library
@ 2000-08-24  0:00   ` Paul Colvert
From: Paul Colvert @ 2000-08-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> colvert wrote:
> >
> > I have a large simulation that I have developed for a customer using SG
> > Ada95 1.4 on a Silicon Graphics O2 platform. My customer does not have
> > a development environment on his platform. My simulation links with the
> > GNAT library shared object (libgnat-3.13w.so). Since my customer does
> > not have this shared object, how can I statically link in the archive
> > library (libgnat-3.13w.a) as part of my simulation?
> >
> > Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. My customer
> > expects delivery within a week. I need to have this problem solved
> > quickly.
> >

> Since you have a "wavefront" version of GNAT, I assume that you
> are a paying ACT customer, and you should exercise your right to
> support from them.
>
> --
> Stanley Allen
> mailto:Stanley_R_Allen-NR@raytheon.com

My company purchased this compiler (SG Ada 95 v1.4) from SG directly,
not ACT! I have called SG about my problem and they have assigned an
engineer to look at it. The way things are looking right now, I will
not have an answer in time to make my delivery date.

I contacted ACT and Robert Dewar told me that their contract with SG
prohibits them from giving direct support to SG customers unless they
have a separate contract with ACT. Robert said that "the question you
asked is indeed the sort of thing we could definitely  help with if
such a contract was in place." He also informed me that ACT now does
all the builds for SG (SG used to do them in house) and that ACT could
"supply exactly the equivalent of the SGI version."

I need an answer to my problem, not a sales pitch from ACT!

My assigned SG engineer wrote back to tell me that "if there is C code
mixed in, then statically linking the files is impossible as of IRIX
6.5." Yes, we do have some C code linked in to our simulation. Does
that mean I will be forced to distribute the shared object library?
Some of our customers have the old Ada 95 1.3 compiler installed. I
don't think I can have both libraries installed!

I was (and still am) hoping that someone in the Ada community can help
me with this issue.

Thank you for any assistance that you can offer.

* Re: Static linking of GNAT library
@ 2000-08-25  0:00     ` Tarjei T. Jensen
From: Tarjei T. Jensen @ 2000-08-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Colvert wrote:
>I need an answer to my problem, not a sales pitch from ACT!

It is not a sales pitch when they tell you why they cannot help you. If they
helped you out for free they would not honour their contract with SGI.

>My assigned SG engineer wrote back to tell me that "if there is C code
>mixed in, then statically linking the files is impossible as of IRIX
>6.5." Yes, we do have some C code linked in to our simulation. Does
>that mean I will be forced to distribute the shared object library?
>Some of our customers have the old Ada 95 1.3 compiler installed. I
>don't think I can have both libraries installed!

Why not copy the library and re-name it? When you link against it, the linker
would use the new name and would make sure it is used instead of the real
library. That is the teory. You will have to test whether it works yourself.

Greetings,

* Re: Static linking of GNAT library
@ 2000-08-25  0:00     ` Gisle Sælensminde
From: Gisle Sælensminde @ 2000-08-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Colvert wrote:

>My assigned SG engineer wrote back to tell me that "if there is C code
>mixed in, then statically linking the files is impossible as of IRIX
>6.5." Yes, we do have some C code linked in to our simulation. Does
>that mean I will be forced to distribute the shared object library?
>Some of our customers have the old Ada 95 1.3 compiler installed. I
>don't think I can have both libraries installed!
>
>I was (and still am) hoping that someone in the Ada community can help
>me with this issue.
>
>Thank you for any assistance that you can offer.

The shared libraries for the two version have different version
number and thus different names, so to distribute the shared
library and install it at the customers site should be
straigtforward. Just install it at the same location as
on your own site. It's not necesary to install the entire
compiler.

And since the GNAT runtime have a modified GNU licence, you can
distibute the runtime library freely.

--
Gisle S�lensminde ( gisle@ii.uib.no )

necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going
to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
overhead. (from RFC 1925)

* Re: Static linking of GNAT library
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-08-25  0:00     ` steve
From: steve @ 2000-08-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3ibp5.5530$aE5.202411@news-east.usenetserver.com>, colvert@elmco.com
says...

>I need an answer to my problem, not a sales pitch from ACT!

This is really strange. You work for a COMPANY, right? So, you want
company A to spend time and resources to help company B for free??

ACT is in business, they will spend time and resources to help your
company, but your company needs to pay for that time and resources.

If you can find your answer on the internet for free, great, but
do not expect companies to work for you for free.

Steve

* Re: Static linking of GNAT library
@ 2000-08-26  0:00         ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2000-08-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8o76gn$4el$1@nnrp1.deja.com>, Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> writes:
> In article <8o5lh3$am51@news.kvaerner.com>,
>   "Tarjei T. Jensen" <tarjei.jensen@kvaerner.com> wrote:
>> It is not a sales pitch when they tell you why they cannot
>> help you. If they helped you out for free they would not
>> honour their contract with SGI.
>
> Note by the way that this is a condition that SGI insisted on.
> We actually preferred that we have the ability to provide direct
> support for SGI users, but SGI prefers to keep all support
> issues for SGI software handled through their support
> organization. If things work as they should the engineer in
> question at SGI will refer the issue to us if SGI cannot solve
> it.

There is always the possibility that SGI might change their mind
in the future and want to renegotiate terms.  I know of another
company where managers regret terms their predecessors used to
constrain the relationship with a company like ACT. There is no
guarantee they will ever take action, but the whole management
tree in the relevant area has changed, such that different interests
are involved.

* Re: Static linking of GNAT library
@ 2000-08-26  1:29       ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-08-26  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8o5lh3$am51@news.kvaerner.com>,
  "Tarjei T. Jensen" <tarjei.jensen@kvaerner.com> wrote:
> It is not a sales pitch when they tell you why they cannot
> help you. If they helped you out for free they would not
> honour their contract with SGI.

Note by the way that this is a condition that SGI insisted on.
We actually preferred that we have the ability to provide direct
support for SGI users, but SGI prefers to keep all support
issues for SGI software handled through their support
organization. If things work as they should the engineer in
question at SGI will refer the issue to us if SGI cannot solve
it.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

@ 2000-08-30  0:00         ` colvert
From: colvert @ 2000-08-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings all,

I thought I would post a follow-up concerning my problem. After working
with my assigned SG engineer, we were able to determine that there is a
bug in the linking process of the SG Ada 95 compiler. I was able to
statically link the GNAT archive library into my executable, but for
some reason the executable also contained an additional (and unused)
reference to the GNAT dynamically shared object library. So, when the
runtime linker (rld) began to load the executable, it could not resolve
the GNAT DSO reference and raised an error. I really want to thank Rick
Avila at SGI for his hard work and help.

As far as my "sales pitch" comment goes, I guess I was unjustifiably
hard on Robert Dewar and ACT. It was my belief that my company would be
"supported" since we had purchased the SG compiler (which was built by
ACT). I was under a lot of pressure with a delivery deadline looming
over me. I needed answers immediately. It was unfair of me to portray
ACT and Robert Dewar in a negative fashion. I understand their position
now and I am sorry for being short sighted.

I hope Robert will accept my apology for my rash words and bad
attitude. He has been very professional in all of this and I wish I
could say the same for me.

I would also like to thank everyone in the Ada community who offered
help with this issue.

Sincerely,
Paul Colvert