* Gnoga current status
@ 2016-06-01  9:32 tonyg
From: tonyg @ 2016-06-01  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Whats the current status of Gnoga. I ask because I've just updated my install and am getting a
"gprlib: call to archive builder /usr/bin/ar failed "

* Re: Gnoga current status
@ 2016-06-01 10:03 ` tonyg
From: tonyg @ 2016-06-01 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just to expound on this problem which is solved now!

I installed gnoga and did a make.

When I tried to build within GPS I got the above error.

doing a 'chmod -R u+w *' in the gnoga directory solved it.

* Re: Gnoga current status
@ 2016-06-07  1:14   ` endlessboomcapitalism
From: endlessboomcapitalism @ 2016-06-07  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 6:03:11 AM UTC-4, tonyg wrote:
> Just to expound on this problem which is solved now!
>
> I installed gnoga and did a make.
>
> When I tried to build within GPS I got the above error.
>
> doing a 'chmod -R u+w *' in the gnoga directory solved it.

how is gnoga?   along with happstack aidaweb swi prolog webserver and lisp I think its one of most powerful free tools    let me throw forth in there too

* Re: Gnoga current status
@ 2016-06-07 21:46     ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2016-06-07 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 7:14:46 PM UTC-6, endlessboo...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 6:03:11 AM UTC-4, tonyg wrote:
> > Just to expound on this problem which is solved now!
> >
> > I installed gnoga and did a make.
> >
> > When I tried to build within GPS I got the above error.
> >
> > doing a 'chmod -R u+w *' in the gnoga directory solved it.
>
> how is gnoga?   along with happstack aidaweb swi prolog webserver and lisp I think its one of most powerful free tools    let me throw forth in there too

I've heard really good things about Gnoga, but have yet to have an application which uses it.

* Re: Gnoga current status
@ 2016-06-08  8:35     ` tonyg
From: tonyg @ 2016-06-08  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I love Gnoga, its one of my favourite things to happen on the Ada Scene since the distributed systems Annex. And Aws!,
I was sort of enquiring because I wanted to do a git pull, but was wary because I had problems and issues with my own system, and did not want to contribute to that!
   One of the issues I do ave with Gnoga is that the people who work on it are way smarter than me so I never understand their conversations despite regularly watching them on here :)

* Re: Gnoga current status
@ 2016-06-10 20:09       ` endlessboomcapitalism
From: endlessboomcapitalism @ 2016-06-10 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 4:35:40 AM UTC-4, tonyg wrote:
> I love Gnoga, its one of my favourite things to happen on the Ada Scene since the distributed systems Annex. And Aws!,
> I was sort of enquiring because I wanted to do a git pull, but was wary because I had problems and issues with my own system, and did not want to contribute to that!
>    One of the issues I do ave with Gnoga is that the people who work on it are way smarter than me so I never understand their conversations despite regularly watching them on here :)

how is making sites with gnoga?

fun?

nice?

* Re: Gnoga current status
@ 2016-06-13 19:52         ` slos
From: slos @ 2016-06-13 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le vendredi 10 juin 2016 22:09:46 UTC+2, endlessboo...@gmail.com a écrit :
> On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 4:35:40 AM UTC-4, tonyg wrote:
> > I love Gnoga, its one of my favourite things to happen on the Ada Scene since the distributed systems Annex. And Aws!,
> > I was sort of enquiring because I wanted to do a git pull, but was wary because I had problems and issues with my own system, and did not want to contribute to that!
> >    One of the issues I do ave with Gnoga is that the people who work on it are way smarter than me so I never understand their conversations despite regularly watching them on here :)
>
> how is making sites with gnoga?
>
> fun?
>
> nice?

Fun if you like this kind of fun. I like it.

Nice depends of design abilities, which I don't have much, and taste of course.

Here are two example applications which you might check :
http://ada4automation.slo-ist.fr:8080
http://ada4automation.slo-ist.fr:8081

BR,
Stéphane

* Re: Gnoga current status
@ 2016-06-13 22:43 ` Olivier Henley
From: Olivier Henley @ 2016-06-13 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

For the last year I used Gnoga extensively and I must say it is, IMO, beyond awesome.

1. The framework is rock solid. My web app (still private) has something like 30 users that interact on a daily basis, publish/subscribe, live push too many users, connect/disconnect, create a lot of dynamic content (events, widgets), embed Youtube assets and abuse the UI without a glitch. I had some issues, but they were my bad. Since I fixed them, almost two months ago, the server never failed or behaved in an unexpected way (timing in every aspect is coherent all the time, no surprises whatsoever and my bug rate just fell to plain zero.) This can probably be achieved using other language/framework, but it is surprisingly convincing how Ada/Gnoga brings you firmly there in such a short time. Personally, I won't even give a chance to another framework as Gnoga has been many orders of magnitude more robust and effective for my work than any other framework I have tried before.

2. The idea to inject/manipulate in full duplex mode the DOM by driving automated jquery code through websockets is brilliant. For the most part, depending on your needs, you wont even have to touch html and/or javascript. You can inject css style directly from the backend/Ada code, but I find it cumbersome for heavy styling so I do use stylesheets a lot.

3. Finally, the demos that ship with Gnoga are really neat and cover a lot of ground. For my work, Chatanooga has been the most useful as it gives a good architectural overview of how to tackle live push between users. Most examples/demos are rather austere in term of presentation but, this has nothing to do with Gnoga per se. If you have a clear enough understanding of the 'web model', you should know that its power of expressiveness exclusively lies in the CSS styling. This contrasts a lot with more traditional UI frameworks like Gtk that 'gives' you styling through already defined widget looks. Gnoga/CSS gives you unlimited freedom but you get the responsibility to define every presentation design/details; if you create ugly widgets and modules you get an ugly page 'hands down' but the framework is not to blame nor the limiting factor. With Gnoga you could well serve a design/publicity award winning website as much as a cheap looking sex toy company website. When you get your hands dirty trying to make complex custom widgets that does not even exists in other 'predefined' UI framework you'll better grasp the implications of what I say: Gnoga drives the logic and the structure, CSS skins it.

Hope it helps,

Olivier

* Re: Gnoga current status
@ 2016-06-14  9:20   ` tonyg
From: tonyg @ 2016-06-14  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gnoga links html5 and Ada. Its awesome. I am still looking for an easier way to use it, perhaps a visual editor.

Some of the great things about it are not immediately apparent, but are there because Gnoga is built in Ada which is portable. e.g. It runs on a single core Pi really fast. And reliably.

* Re: Gnoga current status
@ 2016-06-14 16:15     ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2016-06-14 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tony, just use any HTML editor to create the visual side and use it as a "boot page", then with in Gnoga bind the ID of the element to Ada objects then have full control on the Ada side.

David Botton

* Re: Gnoga current status
@ 2016-06-15 19:23   ` endlessboomcapitalism
From: endlessboomcapitalism @ 2016-06-15 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, June 13, 2016 at 6:43:08 PM UTC-4, Olivier Henley wrote:
> For the last year I used Gnoga extensively and I must say it is, IMO, beyond awesome.
>
> 1. The framework is rock solid. My web app (still private) has something like 30 users that interact on a daily basis, publish/subscribe, live push too many users, connect/disconnect, create a lot of dynamic content (events, widgets), embed Youtube assets and abuse the UI without a glitch. I had some issues, but they were my bad. Since I fixed them, almost two months ago, the server never failed or behaved in an unexpected way (timing in every aspect is coherent all the time, no surprises whatsoever and my bug rate just fell to plain zero.) This can probably be achieved using other language/framework, but it is surprisingly convincing how Ada/Gnoga brings you firmly there in such a short time. Personally, I won't even give a chance to another framework as Gnoga has been many orders of magnitude more robust and effective for my work than any other framework I have tried before.
>
> 2. The idea to inject/manipulate in full duplex mode the DOM by driving automated jquery code through websockets is brilliant. For the most part, depending on your needs, you wont even have to touch html and/or javascript. You can inject css style directly from the backend/Ada code, but I find it cumbersome for heavy styling so I do use stylesheets a lot.
>
> 3. Finally, the demos that ship with Gnoga are really neat and cover a lot of ground. For my work, Chatanooga has been the most useful as it gives a good architectural overview of how to tackle live push between users. Most examples/demos are rather austere in term of presentation but, this has nothing to do with Gnoga per se. If you have a clear enough understanding of the 'web model', you should know that its power of expressiveness exclusively lies in the CSS styling. This contrasts a lot with more traditional UI frameworks like Gtk that 'gives' you styling through already defined widget looks. Gnoga/CSS gives you unlimited freedom but you get the responsibility to define every presentation design/details; if you create ugly widgets and modules you get an ugly page 'hands down' but the framework is not to blame nor the limiting factor. With Gnoga you could well serve a design/publicity award winning website as much as a cheap looking sex toy company website. When you get your hands dirty trying to make complex custom widgets that does not even exists in other 'predefined' UI framework you'll better grasp the implications of what I say: Gnoga drives the logic and the structure, CSS skins it.
>
> Hope it helps,
>
> Olivier

awesome

* Re: Gnoga current status
@ 2016-07-07 13:02       ` tonyg
From: tonyg @ 2016-07-07 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm having real problems finding an editor with all the buttons / selection boxes etc

Do I need the editor to be using the same javascript being used for Gnoga, I am using  boot.js and jquerymin.js in my gnoga project/js directory?

* Re: Gnoga current status
@ 2016-07-07 13:28         ` gautier_niouzes
From: gautier_niouzes @ 2016-07-07 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm having real problems finding an editor with all the buttons / selection boxes etc

A cheap (perhaps clumsy) solution is to use a Windows graphical resource editor and adapt the code of rc2gw (see the gnavi project), especially rc.y and rc_hepl.adb, to produce GNOGA code instead of GWindows code.
_________________________
Gautier's Ada programming
http://gautiersblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Ada
NB: follow the above link for a valid e-mail address

* Re: Gnoga current status
@ 2016-07-07 14:49         ` Olivier Henley
From: Olivier Henley @ 2016-07-07 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 9:02:10 AM UTC-4, tonyg wrote:
> I'm having real problems finding an editor with all the buttons / selection boxes etc
>
> Do I need the editor to be using the same javascript being used for Gnoga, I am using  boot.js and jquerymin.js in my gnoga project/js directory?

1. For the editor part, check into Maqetta. To give you an idea of the depth of this editor listen to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0LneuYl280&list=PL821DA1C6573FC973

2. You do not need/nor want the editor to use boot.js. The editor should only be used to "build your graphical components". Once you are done with those (you will get html and ccs code), you are left with two choices, or a combination of these choices:

a. You c&p those html and css snippets into boot.html and app.css (the css file that you link in the boot.html of your app) These will be served at page request, static.
b. You make Gnoga code to generate those html/css structures; code that is injected into the DOM when you need it.

IMO, the faster way and cleaner way to work is to first define the static and dynamic parts of your application. E.g, Your app logo placement, the navigation toolbar, the overall structure of the app etc should be STATIC and therefore can be just served in your boot.html file. Second all the widgets that will be created by users interactions, e.g new blog posts should be transformed into 'Gnoga code' for proper DYNAMIC creation/destruction.

* Re: Gnoga current status
@ 2016-07-11 11:19           ` tonyg
From: tonyg @ 2016-07-11 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yeah Thinking about it I need to look at the way I am writing applications. Thanks to both of you for some excellent advice which I will be using!

* Re: Gnoga current status
@ 2016-07-12  2:29   ` endlessboomcapitalism
From: endlessboomcapitalism @ 2016-07-12  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, June 13, 2016 at 6:43:08 PM UTC-4, Olivier Henley wrote:
> For the last year I used Gnoga extensively and I must say it is, IMO, beyond awesome.
>
> 1. The framework is rock solid. My web app (still private) has something like 30 users that interact on a daily basis, publish/subscribe, live push too many users, connect/disconnect, create a lot of dynamic content (events, widgets), embed Youtube assets and abuse the UI without a glitch. I had some issues, but they were my bad. Since I fixed them, almost two months ago, the server never failed or behaved in an unexpected way (timing in every aspect is coherent all the time, no surprises whatsoever and my bug rate just fell to plain zero.) This can probably be achieved using other language/framework, but it is surprisingly convincing how Ada/Gnoga brings you firmly there in such a short time. Personally, I won't even give a chance to another framework as Gnoga has been many orders of magnitude more robust and effective for my work than any other framework I have tried before.
>
> 2. The idea to inject/manipulate in full duplex mode the DOM by driving automated jquery code through websockets is brilliant. For the most part, depending on your needs, you wont even have to touch html and/or javascript. You can inject css style directly from the backend/Ada code, but I find it cumbersome for heavy styling so I do use stylesheets a lot.
>
> 3. Finally, the demos that ship with Gnoga are really neat and cover a lot of ground. For my work, Chatanooga has been the most useful as it gives a good architectural overview of how to tackle live push between users. Most examples/demos are rather austere in term of presentation but, this has nothing to do with Gnoga per se. If you have a clear enough understanding of the 'web model', you should know that its power of expressiveness exclusively lies in the CSS styling. This contrasts a lot with more traditional UI frameworks like Gtk that 'gives' you styling through already defined widget looks. Gnoga/CSS gives you unlimited freedom but you get the responsibility to define every presentation design/details; if you create ugly widgets and modules you get an ugly page 'hands down' but the framework is not to blame nor the limiting factor. With Gnoga you could well serve a design/publicity award winning website as much as a cheap looking sex toy company website. When you get your hands dirty trying to make complex custom widgets that does not even exists in other 'predefined' UI framework you'll better grasp the implications of what I say: Gnoga drives the logic and the structure, CSS skins it.
>
> Hope it helps,
>
> Olivier

http://gnoga.com/#tools

how does it do dynamic without html or js?

websocket or?

whats the fastest way to learn ada?

css?

* Re: Gnoga current status
@ 2016-07-14 15:16     ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2016-07-14 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> http://gnoga.com/#tools
>
> how does it do dynamic without html or js?

It uses jquery via websockets or if unavailable it fails over to other methods.

http://learnadanow.com

> css?

You don't need web tech knowledge but the more you know the better. On the Ada side you can control things like programming a VB app.

David Botton

* Re: Gnoga current status
@ 2016-07-15 14:57             ` Olivier Henley
From: Olivier Henley @ 2016-07-15 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 7:19:13 AM UTC-4, tonyg wrote:
> Yeah Thinking about it I need to look at the way I am writing applications. Thanks to both of you for some excellent advice which I will be using!

Forget what I told about Maqetta. They force dojo webkit pretty much all the way and it looks way too cumbersome to setup a custom widgets library.

Try webflow.com. It is not the average wix.com template centric platform. Webflow is for professional designers; a power user WYSIWYG web based editor that leverage the CSS3 flexbox api in full, support animations compositing and export orthodox HTML5 code. Very impressed.

my two cents

* Re: Gnoga current status
@ 2016-07-18 11:46               ` tonyg
From: tonyg @ 2016-07-18 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

I had a look at Webflow . It looks very customisable. I'm looking where to stick an id for the object.

* Re: Gnoga current status
@ 2016-07-18 14:36                 ` Olivier Henley
From: Olivier Henley @ 2016-07-18 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, July 18, 2016 at 7:47:03 AM UTC-4, tonyg wrote:
> I had a look at Webflow . It looks very customisable. I'm looking where to stick an id for the object.

In the webflow editor, right panel, click on the gear icon. Under the section labeled 'Text Block Settings' you will find a box named ID. Here it is.

* Re: Gnoga current status
@ 2016-07-20 10:19                   ` tonyg
From: tonyg @ 2016-07-20 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Olivier :)