* gnat 2006 and windows vista
@ 2007-03-21 21:32 Randy
From: Randy @ 2007-03-21 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

I seem to be having some trouble using adacore's ada 2006 on my vista
system, in short it locks up anytime I do anything other than type in a
program.  I was wondering if anyone had this problem or if it was being
worked on or what.  Sorry I am new to all this (ada and vista) so I have no
idea what I should do.  At least a what newsgroup I should post in if this
is not the correct one would be nice.
Thanks
Randy

* Re: gnat 2006 and windows vista
@ 2007-03-21 22:46 ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2007-03-21 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randy wrote:
> I seem to be having some trouble using adacore's ada 2006 on my vista
> system, in short it locks up anytime I do anything other than type in a
> program.  I was wondering if anyone had this problem or if it was being
> worked on or what.  Sorry I am new to all this (ada and vista) so I have
> no idea what I should do.  At least a what newsgroup I should post in if
> this is not the correct one would be nice.
> Thanks
> Randy

Can you be more specific? I am guessing from this that you are
indicating that the GPS IDE is locking up? Or are you saying that the
compiler locks up?

I've seen some discussion that the Gtk+ "WIMP" theme has had problems
with Vista and I think that GtkAda includes the WIMP theme by default.

If it is just GPS, perhaps you can keep using the compiler and use
something else as the IDE (ether AdaGide or the Aonix Eclipse plugin)

* Re: gnat 2006 and windows vista
@ 2007-03-21 23:13   ` Randy
From: Randy @ 2007-03-21 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jeffrey Creem" <jeff@thecreems.com> wrote in message
> Randy wrote:
>> I seem to be having some trouble using adacore's ada 2006 on my vista
>> system, in short it locks up anytime I do anything other than type in a
>> program.  I was wondering if anyone had this problem or if it was being
>> worked on or what.  Sorry I am new to all this (ada and vista) so I have
>> no idea what I should do.  At least a what newsgroup I should post in if
>> this is not the correct one would be nice.
>> Thanks
>> Randy
>
> Can you be more specific? I am guessing from this that you are indicating
> that the GPS IDE is locking up? Or are you saying that the compiler locks
> up?
>
> I've seen some discussion that the Gtk+ "WIMP" theme has had problems with
> Vista and I think that GtkAda includes the WIMP theme by default.
>
> If it is just GPS, perhaps you can keep using the compiler and use
> something else as the IDE (ether AdaGide or the Aonix Eclipse plugin)

Thanks, i think its the IDE, i have not been able to run even a simple
program yet.  it seems that any disk ops makes the IDE hang.  At this point
the adacore 2006 is all i know about perhaps someone knows of some others i
can check out.  I am a bit poor right now and this is just a hobby for the
moment so free or very cheap is good for me:)

@ 2007-03-22  1:34     ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2007-03-22  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randy wrote:

> "Jeffrey Creem" <jeff@thecreems.com> wrote in message
>> Randy wrote:
>>> I seem to be having some trouble using adacore's ada 2006 on my vista
>>> system, in short it locks up anytime I do anything other than type in
>>> a program.  I was wondering if anyone had this problem or if it was
>>> being worked on or what.  Sorry I am new to all this (ada and vista)
>>> so I have no idea what I should do.  At least a what newsgroup I
>>> should post in if this is not the correct one would be nice.
>>> Thanks
>>> Randy
>>
>> Can you be more specific? I am guessing from this that you are
>> indicating that the GPS IDE is locking up? Or are you saying that the
>> compiler locks up?
>>
>> I've seen some discussion that the Gtk+ "WIMP" theme has had problems
>> with Vista and I think that GtkAda includes the WIMP theme by default.
>>
>> If it is just GPS, perhaps you can keep using the compiler and use
>> something else as the IDE (ether AdaGide or the Aonix Eclipse plugin)
>
> Thanks, i think its the IDE, i have not been able to run even a simple
> program yet.  it seems that any disk ops makes the IDE hang.  At this
> point the adacore 2006 is all i know about perhaps someone knows of some
> others i can check out.  I am a bit poor right now and this is just a
> hobby for the moment so free or very cheap is good for me:)
> Randy

Ok. Try AdaGide http://adagide.martincarlisle.com/

It is a fairly simple Ada aware editor and will use the Adacore GNAT
2006 compiler as its compiler backend.

Since I don't have vista I can't confirm that what you are seeing is
really a Vista/AdaCore IDE interaction. The IDE is built on a widget set
called Gtk and that widget set is setup by default (I believe) to use a
theme that has been known to have problems with Vista.

So, until some others start trying to use the GPS IDE that is part of
the AdaCore GNAT GPL Edition under Vista you might want to try the other
IDE (which will still need the compiler you probably installed when you
installed the Adacore tools).

If you are already Eclipse literate, then the Aonix plugin is the other
option. Again it can use the same compiler you have already downloaded.
It is a commercial product but the eval version you can download for
free is certainly complete enough for just getting started.

If you are not already Eclipse literate, then just try AdaGide.

* Re: gnat 2006 and windows vista
@ 2007-03-22  2:57       ` Randy
From: Randy @ 2007-03-22  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Ok. Try AdaGide http://adagide.martincarlisle.com/
>
> It is a fairly simple Ada aware editor and will use the Adacore GNAT 2006
> compiler as its compiler backend.
>
> Since I don't have vista I can't confirm that what you are seeing is
> really a Vista/AdaCore IDE interaction. The IDE is built on a widget set
> called Gtk and that widget set is setup by default (I believe) to use a
> theme that has been known to have problems with Vista.
>
> So, until some others start trying to use the GPS IDE that is part of the
> AdaCore GNAT GPL Edition under Vista you might want to try the other IDE
> (which will still need the compiler you probably installed when you
> installed the Adacore tools).
>
> If you are already Eclipse literate, then the Aonix plugin is the other
> option. Again it can use the same compiler you have already downloaded. It
> is a commercial product but the eval version you can download for free is
> certainly complete enough for just getting started.
>
> If you are not already Eclipse literate, then just try AdaGide.

No, don't know eclipse yet, I knew C and C++ and a few others from many
years ago but i not done any kind of programing in quite some time.  I heard
of ada some time ago but it was kinda hard to get more information.  Now I
have some old books and a new one and I have some time on my hands so I
thought it would be a good thing to look into it.  Though it was (most
likely) not the best move I got the new windows and now I have some troubles
<sigh> but thanks for the information!  Glad to have someone willing to help
out, kinda hard to find now a days.
thanks again

@ 2007-03-22  4:46         ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2007-03-22  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randy wrote:

> No, don't know eclipse yet, I knew C and C++ and a few others from many
> years ago but i not done any kind of programing in quite some time.  I
> heard of ada some time ago but it was kinda hard to get more
> information.  Now I have some old books and a new one and I have some
> time on my hands so I thought it would be a good thing to look into it.
> Though it was (most likely) not the best move I got the new windows and
> now I have some troubles <sigh> but thanks for the information!  Glad to
> have someone willing to help out, kinda hard to find now a days.

Just to reiterate, what you downloaded from AdaCore was an entire suite
of tools. The IDE is called GPS. The compiler (GNAT) is a command-line
tool, and you can use another editor and still use GNAT.

AdaGIDE is a good tool for a beginner. It acts as an IDE for GNAT and
will run the compiler for you.

GNAT, by default, does not implement standard Ada semantics. In AdaGIDE,
you need to check the boxes for integer overflow checking and stack
overflow checking. If you use it from the command line, you need some
switches:

gnatmake -gnato -fstack-check <main-procedure-name>

You can also stick in -O2 for optimization and -g for debug information
if you like.

--
Jeff Carter
"I was hobbling along, minding my own business, all of a

* Re: gnat 2006 and windows vista
@ 2007-03-22  9:30     ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2007-03-22  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randy writes:
[GPS from GNAT GPL 2006 hangs on Vista]
> At this point the adacore 2006 is all i know about perhaps someone
> knows of some others i can check out.  I am a bit poor right now and
> this is just a hobby for the moment so free or very cheap is good
> for me:) Randy

So you a bit poor right now... is it because you just purchased Vista?
Sorry, couldn't resist :)

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: gnat 2006 and windows vista
@ 2007-03-22 10:56         ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2007-03-22 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Randy" <abuse@127.0.0.1> writes:

>> If you are not already Eclipse literate, then just try AdaGide.

Or Emacs. I believe the latest Emacs snapshot works with Vista
(http://ourcomments.org/cgi-bin/emacsw32-dl-latest.pl).

I have not heard any comments on whether the GNAT Ada compiler works
with Vista, but I'd be surprised if it does not.

> No, don't know eclipse yet, I knew C and C++ and a few others from
> many years ago but i not done any kind of programing in quite some
> time.

Eclipse, GPS, AdaGide and Emacs are Integrated Development
Environments (IDE); editors for writing, compiling, debugging
software.

C, C++, Ada are languages; there are several compilers and debuggers
for each language.

Microsoft and other vendors would like you to believe that a
particular language _requires_ a particular IDE and compiler, but it
is _not_ true.

Emacs, GPS, and Eclipse all provide multi-language, multi-compiler
environments. AdaGide is a much simpler system that only works with
Ada, and mostly only the GNAT Ada compiler.

Emacs and GPS are fully Free Software. Eclipse is written in Java,
which is not Free Software (Eclipse itself is open source (I'm not
sure if it's Free), but the Java compiler and runtime are not).

I'm using Free Software in the Free Software Foundation sense
(http://fsf.org). Some people care more about these issues than
others.

Some people consider Eclipse to be more "modern" than Emacs, but Emacs
is actively maintained/improved, and they are equally powerful.

> I heard of ada some time ago but it was kinda hard to get more
> information. Now I have some old books and a new one and I have some
> time on my hands so I thought it would be a good thing to look into
> it. Though it was (most likely) not the best move I got the new
> windows and now I have some troubles <sigh> but thanks for the
> information! Glad to have someone willing to help out, kinda hard to
> find now a days. thanks again Randy

AdaGide is designed for beginners, so that is probably a good place to
start. Just keep in mind that there are more powerful environments,
once you start hitting the limitations of AdaGide.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: gnat 2006 and windows vista
@ 2007-03-22 12:06       ` Ali Bendriss
From: Ali Bendriss @ 2007-03-22 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

On Thursday 22 March 2007 09:30, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> Randy writes:
> [GPS from GNAT GPL 2006 hangs on Vista]
>
> > At this point the adacore 2006 is all i know about perhaps someone
> > knows of some others i can check out.  I am a bit poor right now and
> > this is just a hobby for the moment so free or very cheap is good
> > for me:) Randy
>
> So you a bit poor right now... is it because you just purchased Vista?
> Sorry, couldn't resist :)

The name of the system come from a famous Spanish expression :
<<  hasta la vista dinero >>
sorry, couldn't resist too.

--
Ali

* Re: gnat 2006 and windows vista
@ 2007-03-22 13:42       ` Poul-Erik Andreasen
From: Poul-Erik Andreasen @ 2007-03-22 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> Randy writes:
> [GPS from GNAT GPL 2006 hangs on Vista]
>> At this point the adacore 2006 is all i know about perhaps someone
>> knows of some others i can check out.  I am a bit poor right now and
>> this is just a hobby for the moment so free or very cheap is good
>> for me:) Randy
>
> So you a bit poor right now... is it because you just purchased Vista?
> Sorry, couldn't resist :)

Not that i am in any way would like to have vista inside my door,
But i seem to remeber you haveing quite some truoble getting the latest
  gps up running on Debian, well maybe that was only on the AMD64 :-).

Well done by the way.

Poul-Erik Andreasen

* Re: gnat 2006 and windows vista
@ 2007-03-22 14:18         ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2007-03-22 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Poul-Erik Andreasen writes:
> Not that i am in any way would like to have vista inside my door,
> But i seem to remeber you haveing quite some truoble getting the
> latest gps up running on Debian, well maybe that was only on the AMD64
> :-).

Running GNAT GPL 2006 on Debian is easy.  Just install and run.  The
trouble I had was building GPS from source and linking dynamically
with all shared libraries (I even created new shared libraries for
that purpose, like libgnatprj, libgnatvsn and libtemplates_parser).
The GPS in Debian has 871 lines worth of patches.

> Well done by the way.

Thanks, but there still are annoying bugs [1] which appear not to be
present in AdaCore's distribution.  Luckily I am not alone in trying
to solve them.

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=gnat-gps

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: gnat 2006 and windows vista
@ 2007-03-23  1:39           ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2007-03-23  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake wrote:
> "Randy" <abuse@127.0.0.1> writes:
>
>>> If you are not already Eclipse literate, then just try AdaGide.
>
> Or Emacs. I believe the latest Emacs snapshot works with Vista
> (http://ourcomments.org/cgi-bin/emacsw32-dl-latest.pl).
>
> I have not heard any comments on whether the GNAT Ada compiler works
> with Vista, but I'd be surprised if it does not.

I can now confirm via a second reliable source that the current GNAT GPL
Edition is not working on Vista - though I don't have any specific details.

* Re: gnat 2006 and windows vista
@ 2007-03-23  4:32             ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2007-03-23  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey Creem wrote:

> I can now confirm via a second reliable source that the current GNAT GPL
> Edition is not working on Vista - though I don't have any specific details.

The compiler or GPS? The OP's post sounded as though it was a GPS problem.

--
Jeff Carter
"In the frozen land of Nador they were forced to

* Re: gnat 2006 and windows vista
@ 2007-03-23 12:02               ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2007-03-23 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey R. Carter wrote:
> Jeffrey Creem wrote:
>>
>> I can now confirm via a second reliable source that the current GNAT
>> GPL Edition is not working on Vista - though I don't have any specific
>> details.
>
> The compiler or GPS? The OP's post sounded as though it was a GPS problem.

Sorry I was unclear. The original poster just indicated GPS.
The second source was less specific but confirmed that a problem exists.

It would be nice if the original poster (Randy) could indicate if he got
  hello world working with AdaGide.

I don't expect that I'll be running Vista for at least a year but I
would guess that as people start buying new machines this question will
come up.

* Re: gnat 2006 and windows vista
@ 2007-03-23 12:05               ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2007-03-23 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey R. Carter wrote:
> Jeffrey Creem wrote:
>>
>> I can now confirm via a second reliable source that the current GNAT
>> GPL Edition is not working on Vista - though I don't have any specific
>> details.
>
> The compiler or GPS? The OP's post sounded as though it was a GPS problem.

Also note that there is some discussion (googled around a bit) about
mingw problems under vista (though some have found workaround solutions)
so it would not be too surprising to find out there are compiler
problems as well.

* Re: gnat 2006 and windows vista
@ 2007-03-23 16:39                 ` Randy
From: Randy @ 2007-03-23 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It would be nice if the original poster (Randy) could indicate if he got
> hello world working with AdaGide.
>
> I don't expect that I'll be running Vista for at least a year but I would
> guess that as people start buying new machines this question will come up.

I installed adagide and made a small program.

WITH Simple_Io;
PROCEDURE Hi IS
BEGIN
   Put("Hi");
END Hi;

Of course I may have messed up the program too who knows lol. but it said
this:
compiling...
gcc: installation problem, cannot exec 'gnat1': no such file or directory
done-- error detected.
I started looking for the paths and such but I can't seem to find anything
like a preferences or what compilier to use.
:/ it sucks being a newbie.

@ 2007-03-23 17:28                   ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 2007-03-23 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

I believe this is a problem with the mingw headers (overheard, can't
swear by it) and will be corrected (for certain) in the next versions of
GNAT Pro, GNAT GPL etc.

- Ed

* Re: gnat 2006 and windows vista
@ 2007-03-23 18:04                   ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 2007-03-23 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randy wrote:

> I installed adagide and made a small program.
>
> WITH Simple_Io;
> PROCEDURE Hi IS
> BEGIN
>   Put("Hi");
> END Hi;
>
> Of course I may have messed up the program too who knows lol. but it
> said this:
> compiling...
> gcc: installation problem, cannot exec 'gnat1': no such file or directory
> done-- error detected.
> I started looking for the paths and such but I can't seem to find
> anything like a preferences or what compilier to use.
> :/ it sucks being a newbie.
> Randy

What happens when you compile from the command line (cmd.exe) ?
I.e.: gnatmake hi
I bet you also get "gcc: installation problem, cannot exec 'gnat1'...".
In that case, not an AdaGIDE problem. Anyway AdaGIDE just calls gcc or gnatmake.
It seems like you have several GCCs installed, one knowing GNAT, another one
not knowing it but which is first in the PATH.
HTH
Gautier         -- http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/index.htm
Ada programming -- http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/gsoft.htm

* Re: gnat 2006 and windows vista
@ 2007-03-23 19:09             ` Wiljan Derks
From: Wiljan Derks @ 2007-03-23 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I can now confirm via a second reliable source that the current GNAT GPL
> Edition is not working on Vista - though I don't have any specific
> details.
I tested with gnat5.04a on Vista.
It was not working directly, because it failed to locate the ada compiler.
For that reason, I just added
D:\GNATPRO\5.04a\libexec\gcc\pentium-mingw32msv\3.4.6 into my path
so gnat1.exe could be found.
After it worked fine on Vista RC1 and I was able to compile all our code
(1.2Msloc).

* Re: gnat 2006 and windows vista
@ 2007-03-23 19:12                     ` Randy
From: Randy @ 2007-03-23 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What happens when you compile from the command line (cmd.exe) ?
> I.e.: gnatmake hi
> I bet you also get "gcc: installation problem, cannot exec 'gnat1'...".
> In that case, not an AdaGIDE problem. Anyway AdaGIDE just calls gcc or
> gnatmake.
> It seems like you have several GCCs installed, one knowing GNAT, another
> one not knowing it but which is first in the PATH.
> HTH

Does adagide have its own compiler?  The only thing I installed was the
adacore 2006 gpl, then installed adagide.  i don't know how to change the
path for adagide and/or tell it what compiler to use.

@ 2007-03-23 19:15               ` Randy
From: Randy @ 2007-03-23 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Wiljan Derks" <Wiljan.Derks@zonnet.nl> wrote in message

> "Jeffrey Creem" <jeff@thecreems.com> wrote in message
>> I can now confirm via a second reliable source that the current GNAT GPL
>> Edition is not working on Vista - though I don't have any specific
>> details.
> I tested with gnat5.04a on Vista.
> It was not working directly, because it failed to locate the ada compiler.
> For that reason, I just added
> D:\GNATPRO\5.04a\libexec\gcc\pentium-mingw32msv\3.4.6 into my path
> so gnat1.exe could be found.
> After it worked fine on Vista RC1 and I was able to compile all our code
> (1.2Msloc).

Where do I add that line at?
This is the adacore 2006 one I take it?
I don't have pro just the free one.
 It seem to lock up anytime it needed any kind of disk read.

@ 2007-03-23 19:30                 ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2007-03-23 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randy wrote:

> "Wiljan Derks" <Wiljan.Derks@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
>>
>> "Jeffrey Creem" <jeff@thecreems.com> wrote in message
>>> I can now confirm via a second reliable source that the current GNAT
>>> GPL Edition is not working on Vista - though I don't have any
>>> specific details.
>> I tested with gnat5.04a on Vista.
>> It was not working directly, because it failed to locate the ada
>> compiler.
>> For that reason, I just added
>> D:\GNATPRO\5.04a\libexec\gcc\pentium-mingw32msv\3.4.6 into my path
>> so gnat1.exe could be found.
>> After it worked fine on Vista RC1 and I was able to compile all our
>> code (1.2Msloc).
>
> Where do I add that line at?
> This is the adacore 2006 one I take it?
> I don't have pro just the free one.
> It seem to lock up anytime it needed any kind of disk read.
> thanks
> Randy

I think poster was indicating the got the compiler to work, not the IDE.

He was talking about adding that line to his path in Windows not within
any IDE.

Under XP you can add things to your path (the windows it looks for
executables when you are at a command prompt) by going to
control panels->System->Advanced->Environment Variables, then edit the
path and add the missing item (semi-colons  between items).

You want to add a path 'like' the one the poster used but probably not
the same one. Navigate down your gnat directory structure and add the
path that has the gnat1.exe in it. I believe on the GNAT GPL 2006
version  your path will be almost identical to his.

* Re: gnat 2006 and windows vista
@ 2007-03-23 19:54                       ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2007-03-23 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy

Randy a �crit :
> Does adagide have its own compiler?  The only thing I installed was the

No, looks like you are confused. The compiler is GNAT, it comes with a
set of command line tools. GPS and AdaGide are GUI IDE which are calling
GNAT command line compiler for the build process.

> adacore 2006 gpl, then installed adagide.  i don't know how to change
> the path for adagide and/or tell it what compiler to use.

If you have only GNAT GPL 2006 installed you can be sure that it is the
compiler used by AdaGIDE.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

From: Pascal Obry @ 2007-03-23 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randy a �crit :

@ 2007-03-23 20:44                       ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 2007-03-23 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randy:

> Does adagide have its own compiler?  The only thing I installed was the
> adacore 2006 gpl, then installed adagide.

Then it should work perfectly. Apparently it doesn't...

 > i don't know how to change the path for adagide and/or tell
 > it what compiler to use.

For checking it, you just type "path" in the command line interpreter (cmd).
For changing it, I give you the "XP way" - hopefully it is +/- the same with
Vista -: Icon My computer, right-click, Properties, tab: Advanced, Button
Environment Variables; there you have the PATH.
But are you sure you didn't install a tool which is using another packaging of
GCC without Ada ? You can check it with the PATH anyway...
Good luck!

@ 2007-03-23 20:59               ` Ali Bendriss
From: Ali Bendriss @ 2007-03-23 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

On Friday 23 March 2007 19:09, Wiljan Derks wrote:
> "Jeffrey Creem" <jeff@thecreems.com> wrote in message
>
> > I can now confirm via a second reliable source that the current GNAT GPL
> > Edition is not working on Vista - though I don't have any specific
> > details.
>
> I tested with gnat5.04a on Vista.
> It was not working directly, because it failed to locate the ada compiler.
> For that reason, I just added
> D:\GNATPRO\5.04a\libexec\gcc\pentium-mingw32msv\3.4.6 into my path
> so gnat1.exe could be found.
> After it worked fine on Vista RC1 and I was able to compile all our code
> (1.2Msloc).

I don't have access to vista, but from a presentation I remember that the
permission and ACL management have changed (the access to the sysroot as
well).
After browsing the web, it look like that setting up the path manually is
mandatory (for the moment). Maybe the installer fail to set it up.

* Re: gnat 2006 and windows vista
@ 2007-03-23 21:18                         ` Randy
From: Randy @ 2007-03-23 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> For checking it, you just type "path" in the command line interpreter
> (cmd).
> For changing it, I give you the "XP way" - hopefully it is +/- the same
> with Vista -: Icon My computer, right-click, Properties, tab: Advanced,
> Button Environment Variables; there you have the PATH.
> But are you sure you didn't install a tool which is using another
> packaging of GCC without Ada ? You can check it with the PATH anyway...
> Good luck!

I am getting closer.  It did install some paths just not the one with gnat1.
I added that path and now my shell see's it.  GPL still locks up anytime I
try disk (open hi will lock up) adagide now can find gnat1 ... but it
doesnt' know where the include files are.  does it only use the path or is
there a way to tell adagide where to look?

@ 2007-03-23 21:20                 ` Randy
From: Randy @ 2007-03-23 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I don't have access to vista, but from a presentation I remember that the
> permission and ACL management have changed (the access to the sysroot as
> well).
> After browsing the web, it look like that setting up the path manually is
> mandatory (for the moment). Maybe the installer fail to set it up.

I think that is part of the problem GPL is down for the count and will not
work at all. adagide can work but don't know where to look so the path's are
not correct from install and I need to do it myself.

@ 2007-03-23 21:45                           ` Ali Bendriss
From: Ali Bendriss @ 2007-03-23 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

On Friday 23 March 2007 21:18, Randy wrote:
> > For checking it, you just type "path" in the command line interpreter
> > (cmd).
> > For changing it, I give you the "XP way" - hopefully it is +/- the same
> > with Vista -: Icon My computer, right-click, Properties, tab: Advanced,
> > Button Environment Variables; there you have the PATH.
> > But are you sure you didn't install a tool which is using another
> > packaging of GCC without Ada ? You can check it with the PATH anyway...
> > Good luck!
>
> I am getting closer.  It did install some paths just not the one with
> gnat1. I added that path and now my shell see's it.  GPL still locks up
> anytime I try disk (open hi will lock up) adagide now can find gnat1 ...
> but it doesnt' know where the include files are.  does it only use the path
> or is there a way to tell adagide where to look?
> thanks
> Randy

You may have a look at GCC_EXEC_PREFIX :
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Environment-Variables.html

Ali

* Re: gnat 2006 and windows vista
@ 2007-03-23 21:50                   ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2007-03-23 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randy wrote:

>> I don't have access to vista, but from a presentation I remember that the
>> permission and ACL management have changed (the access to the sysroot as
>> well).
>> After browsing the web, it look like that setting up the path manually is
>> mandatory (for the moment). Maybe the installer fail to set it up.
>
> I think that is part of the problem GPL is down for the count and will
> not work at all. adagide can work but don't know where to look so the
> path's are not correct from install and I need to do it myself.
> Randy

Ok. So it sounds like you are close. Try adding a new environment
variable (same way you did the PATH)

ADA_INCLUDE_PATH and putting in something like

C:\GNAT\GPL_2006\lib\gcc\pentium-mingw32msv\3.4.6\adainclude

and perhaps another called ADA_OBJECTS_PATH
and set it to something like
C:\GNAT\GPL_2006\lib\gcc\pentium-mingw32msv\3.4.6\adalib

* Re: gnat 2006 and windows vista
@ 2007-03-23 22:27                         ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2007-03-23 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gautier <gautier@fakeaddress.nil> writes:

> For checking it, you just type "path" in the command line
> interpreter (cmd).

You can compare the output of 'gnatls -v' and 'gcc -v', may give some
clues.

'cannot exec gnat1' typically means that gnatmake comes later in the
path than another gcc; gnatmake relies (relied?) on finding the
correct gcc through the path.

* Re: gnat 2006 and windows vista
@ 2007-03-23 23:41                     ` Randy
From: Randy @ 2007-03-23 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

">
> Ok. So it sounds like you are close. Try adding a new environment variable
> (same way you did the PATH)
>
> ADA_INCLUDE_PATH and putting in something like
>
> C:\GNAT\GPL_2006\lib\gcc\pentium-mingw32msv\3.4.6\adainclude
>
> and perhaps another called ADA_OBJECTS_PATH
> and set it to something like
> C:\GNAT\GPL_2006\lib\gcc\pentium-mingw32msv\3.4.6\adalib

I added those as you suggested but I am still getting the same message:
compiling...
hi.adb:1:06: file "simple_io.ads" not found
done--error detected
I think i have the package name correct, that leaves either it is till not
in the path or I don't have it (unlikely I should think).

* Re: gnat 2006 and windows vista
@ 2007-03-23 23:50                     ` Randy
From: Randy @ 2007-03-23 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Ok. So it sounds like you are close. Try adding a new environment variable
> (same way you did the PATH)
>
> ADA_INCLUDE_PATH and putting in something like
>
> C:\GNAT\GPL_2006\lib\gcc\pentium-mingw32msv\3.4.6\adainclude
>
> and perhaps another called ADA_OBJECTS_PATH
> and set it to something like
> C:\GNAT\GPL_2006\lib\gcc\pentium-mingw32msv\3.4.6\adalib

Ok I'm stupid.  The name was wrong.  Once I changed the name it ran just
fine.  Looks like adagide is good to go.  Thank you very much everyone for
your time and help on this and with my newbie-ness.  I like a group that is
willing to help without a bunch of extra comments :)  You guys are the best!
thanks Randy