From: Mart van de Wege <mvdwege@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Can't access record attribute in derived type
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2017 23:35:08 +0100
Date: 2017-03-08T23:35:08+01:00	[thread overview]

> Mart van de Wege <mvdwege@gmail.com> writes:

>>> The full code lives at https://github.com/mvdwege/pendragon
>>>
>>> Note that some stuff is in incomplete branches, and I still have some
>>> locally committed changes that are not in the github repo. The code
>>> that was throwing errors among them.
>>
>> Screw that. Based on my reading of the answers, I am going to delete
>> the persons and family_and_relatives branches and sit down and do a
>> decent design first.
>
> I suspect most of us have reached this stage in a project at some point
> in our careers! You will feel better afterwards ...

I've been working on this off and on for almost a year now, and I have
reached that point several times ;)

And you're right, I've felt better every time I did that. In fact, just
after reading the comments I coded up an implementation that correctly
assigns a Father to a Person'Class object, stuffs it in the Parents
list, and reads it correctly. So the first steps of the redesign
work. Now I'm going to think on how to implement the entire family tree
according to the rules.

The nice thing about implementing RPG rulesets is that the ruleset
itself presents a decent first attempt at a spec ;)

Mart

    --- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.