From: Mart van de Wege <mvdwege@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Can't access record attribute in derived type
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2017 22:05:15 +0100
Date: 2017-03-08T22:05:15+01:00	[thread overview]

Niklas Holsti <niklas.holsti@tidorum.invalid> writes:

> On 17-03-08 17:06 , Mart van de Wege wrote:

>>> Just to make sure, is this also a hierarchy of child
>>> packages, like

>>>   Creature
>>> P.C
>>>   Person
>>> P.C.G
>>>   Knight
>>>
>>> so that every derived type's definition has visibility
>>> into the respective parent package's private part?
>>>
>> Yep, it is.
>
> But you said that the problem appeared in a file called
> "knights.adb". If that is the full name, and if you are using the GNAT
> file-name convention, it is _not_ a child package of any other
> package. Did you abbreviate the file name in your post?
>
> A child package like Creatures.Persons.Knights would have a file-name
> of the form "creatures-persons-knights.adb".
>
> What are the actual and full names of all the relevant packages?

Aaah. I think I see the problem. Yes, Knights is on the same level of
the hierarchy as Persons.

The full hierarchy is:

Pendragon
Pendragon.Persons
Pendragon.Knights

Knights withs Persons, but they are on the same level.

(And for the curious, this is a random character generator for the King
Arthur Pendragon roleplaying game. It works quite well for the 50% of
the rules I already covered, creating single characters, but I have
problems getting my design to work with families, aka containers within
the Persons/Knights objects containing other Persons/Knights).

Mart

    --- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.