* Vads Greenhills conversion
@ 1999-02-08  0:00 Jason Dorsett - FF
From: Jason Dorsett - FF @ 1999-02-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anybody know of any tools that would help convert a program built
with a Vads compiler into a greenhills buildable program.?

* Re: Vads Greenhills conversion
@ 1999-02-09  0:00 ` dennison
From: dennison @ 1999-02-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <36BF90B7.A1D093E7@trw.com>,
  Jason Dorsett - FF <Jason.Dorsett@trw.com> wrote:
> Does anybody know of any tools that would help convert a program built
> with a Vads compiler into a greenhills buildable program.?

I assume you are talking the GreenHills Ada95 compiler.

After long consultations w/ GreenHills I managed to ascertain that they
provide *no* automated way to create the .bld files that their compiler uses.
The best way to handle their libraries seems to be to create the build files
along with the source code, and maintain them in your revision control along
with your sources. But that doesn't help you a bit (as it didn't help us) if
you already have hundreds of files you want to compile.

What I ended up doing is creating a tcl script (NT ".bat" files are useless)
to create .bld files based on ".ads" and ".adb" files checked into our
revision control system (ClearCase).

You will also have an Ada83 vs. Ada95 issue going from a VADS compiler.

T.E.D.

* Re: Vads Greenhills conversion
@ 1999-02-13  0:00 ` Steven Hovater
From: Steven Hovater @ 1999-02-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jason -
Why change? Is it an issue of going to Ada95? Corporate direction? Project
direction?
Target support? Cost?

IMHO - and I'm very biased, I have to admit - VADS/Rational is a serious
long-term
solution. I've developed with VADS for going on 11 years now - and the new
ApexCross
products are Ada95 validated, and pretty darn hot.

Cheers,
Steve

--
Steven