* DEC Ada 3.4 on Tru64 5.1
@ 2001-09-17 17:55 nickerson
From: nickerson @ 2001-09-17 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi,
I have a DEC Ada license which is currently running on Digital UNIX 4.0b;
I am trying to move it and run on a DS20E with Tru64 5.1; so far I have
attempted the Ada V3.4 install onto Tru64 5.1 but the ivp does not run
- probably freezes in the tasking; the Compaq support site does have an
ECO #2 for V3.4 but it only mentions Tru64 4.0b/c/d;

does this software still run on Tru64 5.1 if I apply the ECO;

thanks for any help;

--bn (Bart Nickerson)
nickerson@pundit.ds.boeing.com
(206) 662-0183

* Re: DEC Ada 3.4 on Tru64 5.1
@ 2001-09-17 21:33 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2001-09-17 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

nickerson@pundit.ds.boeing.com () wrote in message news:<GJtJ3r.B2v@news.boeing.com>...
> does this software still run on Tru64 5.1 if I apply the
> ECO;
>
> thanks for any help;

Tru64 5.1 is significantly different from previous versions
of Tru64, and it would be surprising if any compiler ran
without significant modifications. Basically we had to do
a new port in some significant respects for GNAT to run
on 5.1 (which it does just fine now, but only if you get
the version that is targetted to 5.1).

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

* Re: DEC Ada 3.4 on Tru64 5.1
@ 2001-09-21  1:40 ` Charlie McCutcheon
From: Charlie McCutcheon @ 2001-09-21  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

No, sorry.  DEC Ada has known problems with Tru64 5.0 and beyond.  Major
releases of the operating system tend to break the product.

I did testing suggesting that it works on the various Tru64 4.0 versions
(last 4.0G?), I'm not sure if they are still available.

On top of that, DEC Ada for Tru64 is no longer supported, it was retired over
a year ago.  (Compaq Ada is supported on OpenVMS VAX and Alpha however.)

For Ada use on Tru64, we recommend an Ada 95 vendor, such as ACT/GNAT or
Rational.

Charlie
Compaq Ada project leader

nickerson@pundit.ds.boeing.com wrote:

> hi,
> I have a DEC Ada license which is currently running on Digital UNIX 4.0b;
> I am trying to move it and run on a DS20E with Tru64 5.1; so far I have
> attempted the Ada V3.4 install onto Tru64 5.1 but the ivp does not run
> - probably freezes in the tasking; the Compaq support site does have an
> ECO #2 for V3.4 but it only mentions Tru64 4.0b/c/d;
>
> does this software still run on Tru64 5.1 if I apply the ECO;
>
> thanks for any help;
>
> --bn (Bart Nickerson)
> nickerson@pundit.ds.boeing.com
> (206) 662-0183

* Re: DEC Ada 3.4 on Tru64 5.1
@ 2001-09-21 16:47   ` nickerson
From: nickerson @ 2001-09-21 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3BAA98F1.E40E3694@NOSPAMcompaq.com>,
Charlie McCutcheon <charlie.mccutcheon@NOSPAMcompaq.com> writes:

|>No, sorry.  DEC Ada has known problems with Tru64 5.0 and beyond. Major
|>releases of the operating system tend to break the product.

my comment would be that you should emulate the OpenVMS commitment
that OS releases do not break user code - that would include an Ada
compiler; however given that the AdaRTL is (sort of) part of the OS
then it should have been fixed;

the brand new 5.1a release notes do mention that the AdaRTL is
scheduled for removal - but even then it says "in a future release";

|>I did testing suggesting that it works on the various Tru64 4.0 versions
|>(last 4.0G?), I'm not sure if they are still available.

I've got the releases but I also have a brand new DS20E running 5.1;
which is what I want to run on both my Tru64 machines;

|>On top of that, DEC Ada for Tru64 is no longer supported, it was retired
|>over a year ago.(Compaq Ada is supported on OpenVMS VAX and Alpha however.)

we have it and we still like it;
[personally speaking] we would have preferred a DEC/CPQ Ada95 compiler -
however that is an old story about a business decision;

|>For Ada use on Tru64, we recommend an Ada 95 vendor, such as ACT/GNAT or
|>Rational.
|>
|>Charlie

yes; we just didn't realize that retirement also meant that the OS
would so quickly break the compiler and render the license useless;

@ 2001-09-21 17:58     ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2001-09-21 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <GK0uMr.Cs7@news.boeing.com>, nickerson@pundit.ds.boeing.com () writes:

> In article <3BAA98F1.E40E3694@NOSPAMcompaq.com>,
> Charlie McCutcheon <charlie.mccutcheon@NOSPAMcompaq.com> writes:
>
> |>No, sorry.  DEC Ada has known problems with Tru64 5.0 and beyond. Major
> |>releases of the operating system tend to break the product.
>
> my comment would be that you should emulate the OpenVMS commitment
> that OS releases do not break user code - that would include an Ada
> compiler; however given that the AdaRTL is (sort of) part of the OS
> then it should have been fixed;

This is certainly not the only area in which the Tru64 Unix business
model diverges from the VMS business model.  Tru64 has formally dropped
support for the original "bird" alpha workstations (DEC 3000-x00) while
VMS still supports them.  VMS has dropped support for some of the early
VAXes -- not intentionally removing support code but declining to test
newer release on hardware from 30 years ago.

* Re: DEC Ada 3.4 on Tru64 5.1
@ 2001-09-21 19:01   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2001-09-21 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Charlie McCutcheon <charlie.mccutcheon@NOSPAMcompaq.com> wrote in message news:<3BAA98F1.E40E3694@NOSPAMcompaq.com>...

> For Ada use on Tru64, we recommend an Ada 95 vendor, such as ACT/GNAT or

Just to avoid any confusion, the vendor name referred to
here is Ada Core Technologies (ACT for short), and the
product is GNAT Professional (GNAT Pro for short).

And we do indeed support Tru64 5.1 (this is a different
port than GNAT Pro for earlier versions of Tru64. Despite
the fact that the major version number did not change,
5.0 to 5.1 was the really significant transition for Tru64.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

* Re: DEC Ada 3.4 on Tru64 5.1
@ 2001-09-21 21:09       ` Stefan Skoglund
From: Stefan Skoglund @ 2001-09-21 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry Kilgallen wrote:
> VMS still supports them.  VMS has dropped support for some of the early
> VAXes -- not intentionally removing support code but declining to test
> newer release on hardware from 30 years ago.

Hrmm, the oldest 11/780 shouldn't be older than 23 years (the VAX
11/780 was released to the unwashed masses in 1978)

* Re: DEC Ada 3.4 on Tru64 5.1
@ 2001-09-22 21:38         ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2001-09-22 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3BABAC77.579A8A26@ebox.tninet.se>, Stefan Skoglund <stetson@ebox.tninet.se> writes:
> Larry Kilgallen wrote:
>> VMS still supports them.  VMS has dropped support for some of the early
>> VAXes -- not intentionally removing support code but declining to test
>> newer release on hardware from 30 years ago.
>
> Hrmm, the oldest 11/780 shouldn't be older than 23 years (the VAX
> 11/780 was released to the unwashed masses in 1978)

You are correct.  My (non-)math was wrong.

* Re: DEC Ada 3.4 on Tru64 5.1
@ 2001-09-26  1:31     ` Charlie McCutcheon
From: Charlie McCutcheon @ 2001-09-26  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

If DEC Ada for Tru64 was still supported, I'm sure something would get fixed.

DEC Ada didn't change however, the o/s environment changed, and Ada broke.

Glad it still works for you.  I don't remember the details any more (and I'm not
at work to check on them), but I'm pretty sure at least one ACVC V1.11 validation
test failed.  I guessed at the time that significant work would've been needed to
investigate and fix the problem seen.

More information on current Compaq Ada products, and the Tru64 target retirement
can be found at http://www.openvms.compaq.com/commercial/ada/ada_index.html.

Charlie McCutcheon
Compaq Ada project leader