From: labtek@cs.yale.edu (Tom Griest)
Subject: Re: GNAT for NT Linking Problem
Date: 1996/09/23
Date: 1996-09-23T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <3246AB3C.4A17@ubs.com> klaus.wyss@ubs.com writes:

[stuff snipped about using Ada functions rather than C counterparts snipped]

>That's a typical sugestion of somebody living in the pure clean Ada
>world
>But the real world is not clean. It has dirty things like Windows,OLE
>3rd party libraries .....
>
>It would be crazy the reimplent all that stuff (maybe people in the
>military aerea can do that)

Here is an example where the answer depends on your situation.  If
you have a bunch of OLE libraries, etc. there is no problem linking
with them.  Currently you just have to supply the 3rd party (ie. MS)
C library.  The response was intended for folks trying to "get by"
with just the free GNAT package.  Until all of the Cygnus libraries are
integrated with GNAT, you'll have to link with your own LIBC.

>So what we need is a quick way to access all this C stuff from Ada.
>A standard way to take C or C++ headers and make the this modules
>acessible in Ada.

This is available:  Cbind does this.

>If we don't be able to access all this C,C++ things in a elegant simple
>way, more and more applications will change from Ada to C/C++.

True.

>The greater productivity of Ada programming doesn't help me if i lose
>the time in solving the interface problems to other libraries.

Agreed.

-Tom