From: mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman)
Subject: Re: GNAT for NT Linking Problem
Date: 1996/09/09
Date: 1996-09-09T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <3234724E.251E@joy.ericsson.se>,
Jonas Nygren  <jonas@joy.ericsson.se> wrote:
>Matt O'Hara wrote:

>> I'm in the process of porting a Solaris Ada program to the PC, using
>> GNAT 304a for Windows NT (freshly ftp'd and installed). This Ada program
>> uses the C libraries extensively (basic things, like fputc, fgetc, feof,
>> toupper, etc).

Since you are porting to GNAT, why not take the opportunity to
Ada 95-ize your program and get away from using those C libraries.
For example, toupper, etc., are part of the Ada 95 standard libs,
in this case Ada.Characters.Handling.

And why use the C IO routines? Is there a problem with Ada.Text_IO?

>Gnat uses some of the stdio routines to implement Ada file-io.
>Look in the 'adaincludes' directory for i-cstrea.ads
>and you find what is available via Gnat. If you need more you would
>have to include these interfaces yourself via some library or .obj
>file.

All this is true, but maybe you should have a look at your code to
see if you can make use of Ada 95 stuff that will free you from
(most of) the C lib facilities.

The only thing I can think of that would require the C libs is if
(possibly) those f* routines are unbuffered. Do you need unbuffered
input/output?

Mike Feldman
Michael B. Feldman -  chair, SIGAda Education Working Group
The George Washington University -  Washington, DC 20052 USA
202-994-5919 (voice) - 202-994-0227 (fax)
http://www.seas.gwu.edu/faculty/mfeldman
       Pork is all that money the government gives the other guys.
WWW: http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/ or http://info.acm.org/sigada/education