From: chris <spamoff.danx@ntlworld.com>
Subject: Re: generic imports?  void* -> generics?
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 23:39:24 +0100
Date: 2003-09-23T23:39:24+01:00	[thread overview]

Hi,

I've been looking over the Lua Ref Manual and think I understand user
data now.  Full user data is a block of memory created by Lua at the
clients request.  The client provides the size of the block and Lua
gives them an address to data of that size, or NULL.  It is subject to
gc but is basically a blank canvas (with no real bounds, I expect).

Light user data is a pointer to something outside of Lua, like a ptr to
a point or dom tree.  You give Lua the pointer to the thing, it just
treats it's a void ptr and that's it.  It doesn't peek at what's at the
address, delete it or whatever.

Given that, perhaps either of Matthews suggestions is appropriate for
light user data (System.Address or the fixed generic) and use a
System.Address or a stream orientated approach for the Full User Data or
both?

It's late and I go back to Uni tomorrow, so I haven't really thought it
through.

Chris