* Ada vs ADA
@ 2000-05-18  0:00 ANTHONY GAIR
From: ANTHONY GAIR @ 2000-05-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I heard Ada was named after a certain niece of Charles Babbage ( a guy who made
a serious attempt to invent a computer in the last century without electricity,
and very nearly did it !).

Did she really have her entire first name in capitals?

I'll start writing Ada like ADA if the USA promises to learn to talk and spell
properly...

Are ADA and linux a good combination ?:-
visit www.remotely.useful.com - under construction

* Re: Ada vs ADA
@ 2000-05-18  0:00 ` Jeff Carter
From: Jeff Carter @ 2000-05-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

ANTHONY GAIR wrote:

> I heard Ada was named after a certain niece of Charles Babbage ( a guy who made
> a serious attempt to invent a computer in the last century without electricity,
> and very nearly did it !).

No, she was the only legitimate daughter of Lord Byron, the poet. She
worked with Babbage on ways to program his analytical engine, but was
not related to him.

> Did she really have her entire first name in capitals?

1. No, she didn't.

2. Ada is her middle name. Her first name was Augusta, after Byron's
half sister. When Ada's mother found out Byron had had an affair with
his half sister, she refused to call the child Augusta.

> I'll start writing Ada like ADA if the USA promises to learn to talk and spell
> properly...

That's not what we want. We want you to write "Ada", not "ADA" as in

--
Jeff Carter
"I blow my nose on you."

* Re: Ada vs ADA
@ 2000-05-21  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-05-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <20000518063608.06047.00000004@ng-ck1.aol.com>,
  anthonygair@aol.comremoveme (ANTHONY GAIR) wrote:

> Did she really have her entire first name in capitals?

Certainly not, the name Ada (not actually her first name)
was thus spelled, which is why the language is thus spelled.
You got things the wrong way round

> I'll start writing Ada like ADA

Please don't! :-)

> if the USA promises to learn to talk and spell properly...

Thus speaks a pop-grammarian, who almost CERTAINLY has in mind
some rules that are in fact completely bogus :-) :-)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Ada vs ADA
@ 2000-05-22  0:00 ` David Gillon
From: David Gillon @ 2000-05-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

ANTHONY GAIR wrote:
> I heard Ada was named after a certain niece of Charles Babbage

Collaborator, not niece -- Augusta Ada Byron, Countess Lovelace.
Sometimes labelled the first programmer.

> I'll start writing Ada like ADA

Surely you already are... " Are ADA and linux a good combination ?:-"

--

David Gillon

* Re: Ada vs ADA
       [not found] <sjphis8g6b47ndlaa8gg1jch79mvfk5ujm@4ax.com>
@ 2000-05-30  0:00 ` ANTHONY GAIR
From: ANTHONY GAIR @ 2000-05-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

You will have to bathe me in sunlight and open my newly "turned to stone"
wallet first.
whats a troll in netiquette ?