* Free cryptographic library for Ada?
@ 2004-01-31  1:03 Peter C. Chapin
From: Peter C. Chapin @ 2004-01-31  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

I am designing a security sensitive application and I would like to use
Ada to develop it. This is something of a hobby project so it is very
low budget. In my application I need to make secure hashes and digital
signatures along with the necessary key management that implies. I'm
looking for a free (GPL or similar license) crypto library written
entirely in Ada. I don't particularly want to link to a C library since
part of the point of using Ada in this case is specifically to avoid C.

Does such a library exist? I've been prowling around on the 'net but so
far the projects I've turned up are very incomplete and inactive
looking.

TIA

Peter

* Re: Free cryptographic library for Ada?
@ 2004-01-31  3:05 ` Jeff C,
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Jeff C, @ 2004-01-31  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a blowfish implementation that I created from the reference
implementation and documents.
There is also an MD5 package out there (with some small bugs) that I have
fixed.

So, I guess the short answer is I don't know of a full library..But if you
are interested in a partially
tested blowfish and MD5 package let me know.

* Re: Free cryptographic library for Ada?
@ 2004-01-31 12:02   ` Peter C. Chapin
From: Peter C. Chapin @ 2004-01-31 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <CXESb.145108$Rc4.1168914@attbi_s54>, jcreem@yahoo.com
says...

> So, I guess the short answer is I don't know of a full library..But if you
> are interested in a partially
> tested blowfish and MD5 package let me know.

Okay, thanks for the information. The real sticking point for me appears
to be digital signatures.

Peter

* Re: Free cryptographic library for Ada?
@ 2004-01-31 13:46 ` Preben Randhol
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Preben Randhol @ 2004-01-31 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2004-01-31, Peter C Chapin <pchapin@sover.net> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am designing a security sensitive application and I would like to use
> Ada to develop it. This is something of a hobby project so it is very
> low budget. In my application I need to make secure hashes and digital
> signatures along with the necessary key management that implies. I'm
> looking for a free (GPL or similar license) crypto library written
> entirely in Ada. I don't particularly want to link to a C library since
> part of the point of using Ada in this case is specifically to avoid C.

I don't know if you can use this, but you can have a look at serpent:

   http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/serpent.html

--
"Saving keystrokes is the job of the text editor, not the programming
 language."

* Re: Free cryptographic library for Ada?
@ 2004-01-31 18:40   ` sk
From: sk @ 2004-01-31 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

jcreem@yahoo.com:

 > I have a blowfish implementation that I created from the reference
 > implementation and documents. There is also an MD5 package out
 > there (with some small bugs) that I have fixed.
 >
 > So, I guess the short answer is I don't know of a full library..But
 > if you are interested in a partially tested blowfish and MD5 package
 > let me know.

Cristoph Grein also has an MD5, and so do I since I was unaware of
either Cristoph Grein's or your efforts until I had completed :-)

Whatever happened to Robert I. Eachus's database ? It was hot and
steamy for a while, how is it going ?

-- Merge vertically for real address
--
--     s n p @ t . o
--      k i e k c c m

* Re: Free cryptographic library for Ada?
@ 2004-01-31 20:10 ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2004-01-31 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter C. Chapin wrote:

> I am designing a security sensitive application and I would like to use
> Ada to develop it. This is something of a hobby project so it is very
> low budget. In my application I need to make secure hashes and digital
> signatures along with the necessary key management that implies. I'm
> looking for a free (GPL or similar license) crypto library written
> entirely in Ada. I don't particularly want to link to a C library since
> part of the point of using Ada in this case is specifically to avoid C.
>
> Does such a library exist? I've been prowling around on the 'net but so
> far the projects I've turned up are very incomplete and inactive
> looking.

There's an Ada implementation of the Solitaire algorithm at

http://www.schneier.com/code/solitaire-ada.zip

--
Jeff Carter
"I've got to stay here, but there's no reason

* Re: Free cryptographic library for Ada?
@ 2004-01-31 23:41     ` Robert I. Eachus
From: Robert I. Eachus @ 2004-01-31 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

sk wrote:

> Whatever happened to Robert I. Eachus's database ? It was hot and
> steamy for a while, how is it going ?

I got stuck in version skew hell for a while.  I needed to update to
GNAT 3.15p to compile one of the libraries I wanted to use.  In the
process I discovered a lot of my common tools needed to be modified for
newer versions of various tools and libraries.  I am about through with
all that and may actually get back to slinging new code soon.  (Well I
want to put up a web page first, and put a lot of my other stuff on it
now that I have it updated...)

--
                                           Robert I. Eachus

"The war on terror is a different kind of war, waged capture by capture,
cell by cell, and victory by victory. Our security is assured by our
perseverance and by our sure belief in the success of liberty." --
George W. Bush

* Re: Free cryptographic library for Ada?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-02-01 16:35 ` Jano
From: Jano @ 2004-02-01 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter C. Chapin dice...

> Hello!
>
> I am designing a security sensitive application and I would like to use
> Ada to develop it. This is something of a hobby project so it is very
> low budget. In my application I need to make secure hashes and digital
> signatures along with the necessary key management that implies. I'm
> looking for a free (GPL or similar license) crypto library written
> entirely in Ada. I don't particularly want to link to a C library since
> part of the point of using Ada in this case is specifically to avoid C.
>
> Does such a library exist? I've been prowling around on the 'net but so
> far the projects I've turned up are very incomplete and inactive
> looking.

It's quite old but I've been using its SHA1 and Tiger implementation
without any problem. It has other digital signatures as well:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/adacf/

* Re: Free cryptographic library for Ada?
@ 2004-02-01 22:06   ` Peter C. Chapin
From: Peter C. Chapin @ 2004-02-01 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <MPG.1a87491e48fe3dd59896a8@news.able.es>, nono@unizar.es
says...

> It's quite old but I've been using its SHA1 and Tiger implementation
> without any problem. It has other digital signatures as well:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/adacf/

Yes, I found ACF as well. It does have hash functions, but digital
signatures also require public key cryptography (or its moral
equivalent). Unless I'm missing something significant, it doesn't look
to me like ACF supports such things.

Is ACF dead, BTW? It looks like it has the potential of being a nice
project. Should it prove necessary for me to implement digital
signatures myself I might be interested in contributing the result to
the open source community and ACF seems like one option for that. I
wrote to the administrator of the project, but so far I have not gotten
a reply.

Peter

* Re: Free cryptographic library for Ada?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-02-02  1:16 ` R. Srinivasan
From: R. Srinivasan @ 2004-02-02  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

For digital signatures, I developed a framework and implementations of :
MD5, SHA-1, HAVAL etc. I also started on a framework for implementing
multiple cipher algorithms but only got rc6 done. I will be happy to share
it. you may email me @ r.srinivasan[nospam]@cox.net

@ 2004-02-02 14:51     ` Jano
From: Jano @ 2004-02-02 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter C. Chapin dice...
> In article <MPG.1a87491e48fe3dd59896a8@news.able.es>, nono@unizar.es
> says...
>
> > It's quite old but I've been using its SHA1 and Tiger implementation
> > without any problem. It has other digital signatures as well:
> >
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/adacf/
>
> Yes, I found ACF as well. It does have hash functions, but digital
> signatures also require public key cryptography (or its moral
> equivalent). Unless I'm missing something significant, it doesn't look
> to me like ACF supports such things.

Ah, my bad, I had interpreted digital signatures as digital
fingerprints. No, I don't think that ACF have anything else that hashing
calculations.

> Is ACF dead, BTW? It looks like it has the potential of being a nice
> project. Should it prove necessary for me to implement digital
> signatures myself I might be interested in contributing the result to
> the open source community and ACF seems like one option for that. I
> wrote to the administrator of the project, but so far I have not gotten
> a reply.

I wrote him some months ago. He took some time to answer (a couple of
weeks?) but he is out there, somewhere, at least.