From: tmoran@acm.org
Subject: Re: why Ada not used much in commercial server side development
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 06:20:15 GMT
Date: 2000-12-12T06:20:15+00:00	[thread overview]

>rather trivial to make a thin binding to a language. In others, it's
>easier to just write in the language - since GUI's probably fall in the
  As a coauthor of the TriAda paper "CLAW, a High Level, Portable,
Ada 95 Binding for Microsoft Windows", I respectfully disagree that
for a GUI it's easier to write in C.

>community hasn't produced the right libraries for web server because
>there aren't many people intrested in using Ada for web serving.
  There's a simple, basic web server using CLAW, and Pascal Obry has a
much bigger one.  (Look for "web server" at www.adapower.com).  If you
want to replace Apache I'd agree the libraries available in Ada leave
you some work to do.  But not all web servers need all that functionality.