* Imaging in Ada
@ 2007-05-06 21:29 ezkcdude
From: ezkcdude @ 2007-05-06 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

What capabilities, in terms of libraries/packages/modules, does Ada
have for doing basic image processing. For example, let's say you
wanted to load a jpg or tif image and display it on the screen, how
would you go about that task (no pun intended, seriously) in Ada?
Thanks, I'll take my question off the air.

* Re: Imaging in Ada
@ 2007-05-07  9:56 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2007-05-07  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6 May 2007 14:29:22 -0700, ezkcdude wrote:

> What capabilities, in terms of libraries/packages/modules, does Ada
> have for doing basic image processing. For example, let's say you
> wanted to load a jpg or tif image and display it on the screen, how
> would you go about that task (no pun intended, seriously) in Ada?

In GtkAda that would be Gtk_Image (or Gdk_Pixbuf for a lower level
handling):

   procedure Gtk_New  (Image : out Gtk_Image; Filename : String);

which internally uses libjpeg, I guess.

http://www.adacore.com/wp-content/files/auto_update/gtkada-docs/gtkada_rm/gtkada_rm/gtk-image.html
http://www.adacore.com/wp-content/files/auto_update/gtkada-docs/gtkada_rm/gtkada_rm/gdk-pixbuf.html

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: Imaging in Ada
@ 2007-05-07 11:30 ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2007-05-07 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

ezkcdude <zamir.evan@gmail.com> writes:

> What capabilities, in terms of libraries/packages/modules, does Ada
> have for doing basic image processing.

I am not sure there are that many published libraries.  Some starting
points might be:

   http://adaimgsvr.sourceforge.net/
   http://png-io.sourceforge.net/

> For example, let's say you wanted to load a jpg or tif image and
> display it on the screen, how would you go about that task (no pun
> intended, seriously) in Ada?

I would use the functions in GtkAda for this.

Greetings,

Jacob
--
"It ain't rocket science!"

* Re: Imaging in Ada
@ 2007-05-09 20:59 ` Chip Orange
From: Chip Orange @ 2007-05-09 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

"ezkcdude" <zamir.evan@gmail.com> wrote in message
> What capabilities, in terms of libraries/packages/modules, does Ada
> have for doing basic image processing. For example, let's say you
> wanted to load a jpg or tif image and display it on the screen, how
> would you go about that task (no pun intended, seriously) in Ada?

In addition to the others, if it's helpful there's a partial  Ada binding
for ImageMagick at:

http://home.gna.org/g2f/

Chip Orange