From: "Warren W. Gay VE3WWG" <ve3wwg@cogeco.ca>
Subject: Re: Audio Input Package
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 13:10:02 -0400
Date: 2003-09-03T13:10:02-04:00	[thread overview]

Rick Selby wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After quite some time searching round the internet I've decided I'm not
> looking in the right places, and the newsgroups would be a good place to
> start.
>
> I'm looking for an Audio Input package of sorts - I need to open an audio
> file (probably just WAV format will do) and look at it. I don't need to
> directly access the sound card, nor play sound back through the speakers
> (although I guess that would be cool, but not necessary).
>
> Anyone have any ideas where I could find such a thing? If not, then
> something in C that could be linked (or whatever the right word is) into Ada
> and used would do just as well. I can see the latter being more available...
> but still don't seem to know the right places to look.
>
> All help appreciated, thanks.
>
> --Rick

http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3wwg/adavox-0.51.tar.gz

For a description see:

   http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3wwg/software.html

and scroll down to "AdaVox Sound Software" for the details.

The brief summary for it is:

AdaVox Features:

  - Plays a wide range of *.wav files:
  - Standard PCM wave files
  - Microsoft ADPCM compression format
  - IMA/DVI ADPCM compression format
  - u-Law wave files
  - a-Law wave files
  - Plays Sun's *.au/*.snd file formats:
  - Standard PCM samples
  - u-Law compression format
  - a-Law compression format
  - Plays multiple files in sequence
  - Endian neutral (good for PowerPC)
  - Ada95 sound packages can be used for applications
  - Optional "realtime" priority for reliable operation
  - Tested on FreeBSD
  - Tested on Linux (RedHat 7.0, 2.2.16 kernel)
  - Netscape friendly

Even though this software provides a "command", there are
packages that can be used to do what you want to do. I
had planned to do more with this, and maybe will someday,
but I have more urgent projects to do first (like writing
compressed formats). It will read compressed formats, but
not generate compressed formats.

Hope this helps, Warren.
--
Warren W. Gay VE3WWG