From: Keith Thompson <kst@cts.com>
Subject: Re: overloading "=" (equal sign)
Date: 1999/06/08
Date: 1999-06-08T22:57:01+00:00	[thread overview]

Matthew Heaney <matthew_heaney@acm.org> writes:
> On Mon, 7 Jun 1999 21:13:21 -0400, "John" <j.gonzale@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> > It looks like the "=" sign when overloaded, it asks for limited type
> > parameters only.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by this, becuase the equality operator does
> NOT have to take limited types as parameters.  Perhaps if you send some
> code, then we can determine what the problem is.

I think Ada 83 had such a restriction.  There's a workaround using a
generic with a limited private type parameter; perhaps someone else
can remember the details.  (The existence of the workaround may have
been part of the motivation for removing the restriction in Ada 95.)

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst@cts.com  <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
San Diego Supercomputer Center  <http://www.sdsc.edu>                 <*>