From: Keith Thompson <kst@cts.com>
Subject: Re: New Software Forum
Date: 16 Sep 2002 16:43:57 -0700
Date: 2002-09-16T16:43:57-07:00	[thread overview]

"CodeMage" <codemage@crystalcode.com> writes:
[...]
> There's always a thin line between layout and accessibility of a web site.
> Theoretically, one should never assume anything about screen resolution,
> font size/color or anything else in the viewer's web browser. In the case of
> the CodeMages Community web site however we have chosen to assume a certain
> minimum screen resolution and an acceptable accessibility level on the most
> widely used web browsers. That is, it looks good on most browsers for most
> people. My apologies that for some people this means that the standard font
> of the site (8pt Verdana) is too small to be considered comfortably
> readable.

Why do you feel the need to tell my browser how to display your text?
I've configured my browser so that text is presented, by default, at a
size I find comfortable.  Anything smaller than that is going to be
difficult for me to read.  Your choice of dark blue on light blue also
doesn't help legibility.

If I have to tweak my browser settings to read your site, I'm afraid
it's just not going to be worth my time.

As it happens, the browser I use, Opera, has a button that toggles
between author mode and user mode; when I press it, your site appears
in Adobe-Times at some reasonable size, in black on white.  Most
browsers make this more difficult, though, if not impossible.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst@cts.com  <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
San Diego Supercomputer Center           <*>  <http://www.sdsc.edu/~kst>