* Unsupported Annexes
@ 1999-11-26  0:00 Daryle Walker
From: Daryle Walker @ 1999-11-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hmm, maybe this should be in comp.compilers....

This question is for the Ada compiler creators.  When a compiler doesn't
support a particular annex, do the structures in the annex still have to
be parsed?

If the answer is yes, then someone moving to a compiler without the
annex could get a "construction from an unsupported annex" error.  This
would seem to be the best answer.

If the answer is no, then someone moving to a compiler without the annex
would get a generic "syntax error" when using code that utilizes that
annex.  That would seem very rude.

At least, if an annex is unsupported, are the keywords from that annex
still reserved?

--
Daryle Walker
Video Game, Mac, and Internet Junkie

* Re: Unsupported Annexes
@ 1999-11-26  0:00 ` Keith Thompson
From: Keith Thompson @ 1999-11-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

dwalker07@snet.net.invalid (Daryle Walker) writes:
> Hmm, maybe this should be in comp.compilers....
>
> This question is for the Ada compiler creators.  When a compiler doesn't
> support a particular annex, do the structures in the annex still have to
> be parsed?

None of the optional annexes define new syntax or keywords.  You'll
get diagnostics for unimplemented pragmas, attributes, and packages,
but no syntax errors.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst@cts.com  <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
San Diego Supercomputer Center           <*>  <http://www.sdsc.edu/~kst>

* Re: Unsupported Annexes
@ 1999-11-27  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-11-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1e1urrd.1fjz88r1pc4s2jN%dwalker07@snet.net.invalid>,
  dwalker07@snet.net.invalid (Daryle Walker) wrote:
> At least, if an annex is unsupported, are the keywords from
> that annex still reserved?

As is clear in the RM, the annexes NEVER introduce new syntax
(and hence do not introduce new keywords), precisely to avoid
the kind of scenario you suggest.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.