* AdaGide on Windows
@ 2001-09-29 18:55 John Foley
From: John Foley @ 2001-09-29 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Recently I downloaded and installed gnat-3.13p-nt.exe and adagide-6.26.exe
on my windows 2000 machine.

I try to "build" a very simple program from AdaGide.

Here is the program text

==================

  with Ada.Text_Io;
  use Ada.Text_Io;

  procedure hello is

  begin
    put_line ("hello world");

  END hello;

==================
I save this file to the name:  hello.adb

This program will compile fine, but
when I attempt to build it via AdaGide, I get
this output in the debug window:

Building...
GNATMAKE 3.13p (20000509) Copyright 1995-2000 Free Software Foundation
Inc.
"hello.ali" being checked ...
-> "hello.ali" missing.
gnatbind -x hello.ali
program: Cannot find: gnatbind.exe.ali
gnatmake: *** bind failed
Done--error detected.

I guessed that these errors had to do with environment settings
so I played around with the dialog in
Tools | GNAT options in current directory ...

All of my efforts thus far have failed
so I turn to Usenet, any help would
be greatly appreciated.

* Re: AdaGide on Windows
@ 2001-09-30  2:18 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2001-09-30  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Why you run:

gnatmake hello.adb

you see different results?

Make sure gnat\bin is on your path.

David Botton

@ 2001-09-30  3:25   ` John Foley
From: John Foley @ 2001-09-30  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

D:\Documents and Settings\user1\My Documents>gnatmake hello.adb
gcc -c hello.adb

@ 2001-09-30  3:54     ` Pi
From: Pi @ 2001-09-30  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I had the same error at university.
The techs somehow fixed it.

I think they first only copied gnat and it didn't work.
I suppose they have installed it now and it works.

If nobody answeres this til monday,
I'm going to ask them what they did.

Make sure you have gnat *installed* and not only untared.

--
3,14159265359

@ 2001-10-01 14:14     ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-10-01 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <Pgwt7.14836$c8.1945735@news1.rdc1.nj.home.com>, John Foley says...

>D:\Documents and Settings\user1\My Documents>gnatmake hello.adb
>gcc -c hello.adb
>gnatbind -x hello.ali
>program: Cannot find: gnatbind.exe.ali
>gnatmake: *** bind failed.

Weird. The closest I could come to reproducing that error message from the
command line was by typing :
"gnatbind gnatbind.exe -x hello.ali"

Which netted me:
gnatbind: Cannot find: gnatbind.exe.ali

---
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

* Re: AdaGide on Windows
@ 2001-10-10 13:25 ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 2001-10-10 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Foley:

> gnatbind -x hello.ali
> program: Cannot find: gnatbind.exe.ali
> gnatmake: *** bind failed
> Done--error detected.
>

> I guessed that these errors had to do with environment settings
> so I played around with the dialog in
> Tools | GNAT options in current directory ...
>
> All of my efforts thus far have failed
> so I turn to Usenet, any help would
> be greatly appreciated.

This is a "long name with spaces" problem: gcc is confused by
spaces; the remedy consists in modifying the registry. Hereafter
a bug report sent to ACT (this is about GNAT 3.13p):

_______
At installation some registry entries for pathes with some long
names cause a confusion for gnatmake: the path "c:\program files\gnat"
contains an space. Sometimes, from AdaGIDE or command line (CMD),
gnatmake stops at binding with the message "program: cannot find
gnatbind.exe.ali". If you replace the entries with the short name
(e.g. "c:\progra~1\gnat") everything is OK.

The "confusing" keys are ROOT in
  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ada Core Technologies\GNAT

and GNATCOM in
  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ada Core Technologies\GNAT\Standard Libraries

* Re: AdaGide on Windows
@ 2001-10-10 20:58   ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 2001-10-10 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

gautier_niouzes@hotmail.com (Gautier) writes:

> _______
> At installation some registry entries for pathes with some long
> names cause a confusion for gnatmake: the path "c:\program files\gnat"
> contains an space. Sometimes, from AdaGIDE or command line (CMD),
> gnatmake stops at binding with the message "program: cannot find
> gnatbind.exe.ali". If you replace the entries with the short name
> (e.g. "c:\progra~1\gnat") everything is OK.
>
> The "confusing" keys are ROOT in
>   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ada Core Technologies\GNAT
>
> and GNATCOM in
>   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ada Core Technologies\GNAT\Standard Libraries

These are valid values, so I would suggest reporting this to the ADAGide
author.
--
--  Jerry van Dijk   | email: jvandyk@attglobal.net
--  Leiden, Holland  | web:   home.trouwweb.nl/Jerry