* [Design]:  Lintohl
@ 2002-06-14  0:49 chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2002-06-14  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Would anyone be willing to take a look at the current requirements and specs
for Lintohl, (a Tetris-like game using gwindows) and give some feedback?  It
might not sound complex enough to require a formalisation of requirements,
specs, design (and so on) but the project is as much about putting the
theory from this years Software Design course into practise as it is about
learning a little about game development or improving my Ada skills
(besides, if somethings worth doing, it's worth doing right).

My concern is that there's too much detail or information in the
requirements, and that some of it would go better in the specification.
Usually I'd write a lengthy requirements document and then set about the
design before implementing, but the goals are different this time; I want to
mature my development skills and learn new ways of doing things.

The documentation is also important since it will be included with the
source of Lintohl, to encounrage ppl to include their designs with their
code.  One of the reasons I won't modify or sometimes even look at others
code is that although the design is in the code, you've got to look at what
it all does before you can make any modifications (to take into account the
effects a change may affect).  Knowing both what the codes supposed to do,
and what it actually does is also benefitial as any differences between the
intention and implementation can be indentified quickier and easier.

The document can be found here:

http://willowplan.tripod.com/lintohlreqs.swx
http://willowplan.tripod.com/lintohlreqs.doc

One is OpenOffice format (might work with StarOffice but haven't tried it),
and the other is Word 97/2000 format.  Both should be 100% free of macros of
any sort, but if you do find any macro viruses should you scan them let me
know.

Regards,
Chris

* Re: [Design]:  Lintohl
@ 2002-06-14 14:20 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-06-14 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

"chris.danx" <spamoff.danx@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<z4bO8.12781$gm5.2060556@news11-gui.server.ntli.net>...

> The document can be found here:
>
> http://willowplan.tripod.com/lintohlreqs.swx
> http://willowplan.tripod.com/lintohlreqs.doc

Those links both take me to a web page that reads:
---
 This file is hosted by Tripod, a Lycos�Network Site, and is not
available for download. Please check out Tripod's Help system for more
information about Remote Loading and our Remote Loading policy.
---

--
T.E.D.
Home     -  mailto:dennison@telepath.com (Yahoo: Ted_Dennison)

* Re: [Design]:  Lintohl
@ 2002-06-14 15:19   ` chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2002-06-14 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ted Dennison" <dennison@telepath.com> wrote in message

> Those links both take me to a web page that reads:
> ---
>  This file is hosted by Tripod, a Lycos�Network Site, and is not
> available for download. Please check out Tripod's Help system for more
> information about Remote Loading and our Remote Loading policy.
> ---

oops sorry!

The docs can now be found here:  http://willowplan.tripod.com/

I've added a zip file that contains both docs, since I haven't succesfully
download the sxw file with IE or Opera (right click, "save as" didn't work
much better).  Does it work with Mozilla ok?

Chris

* Re: [Design]:  Lintohl
@ 2002-06-14 18:49 ` Kevin Cline
From: Kevin Cline @ 2002-06-14 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

"chris.danx" <spamoff.danx@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<z4bO8.12781$gm5.2060556@news11-gui.server.ntli.net>...
> My concern is that there's too much detail or information in the
> requirements, and that some of it would go better in the specification.
> Usually I'd write a lengthy requirements document and then set about the
> design before implementing, but the goals are different this time; I want to
> mature my development skills and learn new ways of doing things.

Read "Extreme Programming Explained" and learn a really new
way of doing things.

* Re: [Design]:  Lintohl
@ 2002-06-15  0:44     ` chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2002-06-15  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The docs can now be found here:  http://willowplan.tripod.com/

An updated version has been uploaded.  It contains slight changes to the
requirements, sections on scoring, shapes and the highscore table.  The
files should contain no dynamic links to the shape images, but if the shapes
are not displayed please let me know.

Any comments or suggestions?

Chris