From: Marin David Condic <nobody@noplace.com>
Subject: Re: ANN: Update to AdaGPGME and libgpg-error
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:12:14 GMT
Date: 2005-03-30T12:12:14+00:00	[thread overview]

I think the LGPL does not adequately cover generics. For a long time,
Ada has been rather unique in having generics and so licenses aimed at
things like C never really thought to cover them. Clearly, other
languages are catching up, so the GMGPL may be more useful.

A generic is not really a callable subroutine. Its sort of vaguely
similar to a macro expansion, but not quite the same thing. So if the
LGPL says you can call a subroutine and that doesn't make your code
GPL'ed, does that mean that instantiating a generic doesn't GPL your
code? If its ambiguous at all, you're better off having a license that
explicitly spells it out.

MDC

Andreas Almroth wrote:

> Well, I'm not an legal eagle, but I don't see that GMGPL in any way is
> limiting/infringing LGPL.

Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jsf.mil/NSFrames.htm