From: "AG" <ang@xtra.co.nz>
Subject: Re: I want to ask you All an advice, please
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 22:41:41 -0800
Date: 2002-11-15T22:41:41-08:00	[thread overview]

"Martti Halminen" <martti.halminen@kolumbus.fi> wrote in message
news:3DD3C19A.C0DAD898@kolumbus.fi...
> Georg Bauhaus wrote:

> > How many levels of nested function application can a human being
> > remember? Try
> >   (+ 3 (* 4 (+ 7 6 (- 5 1)) (/ 4 (+ 5 6)))
> > "by hand" for an easy example. The tree isn't unusually high.

> Few Lisp programmers would write it like that.
>
> (+ 3 (* 4
> (+ 7 6 (- 5 1))
> (/ 4 (+ 5 6))))
> would be more likely to be found in actual code.
> The trick in reading Lisp is to leave the bellyaching about parentheses
> to the compiler and editor, and use the indentation to read the code
> structure.

Unfortunately, in your own example, as posted, there are no visible
indentations. If, by "indentation" you simply mean the nested brackets
put on separate lines, well then, simple SQL statements can also be
written like that:

... where x1 =
(... where x2 =
(... where x3 =

If that's the best Lisp techniques can offer, it's not terribly impressive
really.
Mind you, I'm not saying that it *is* the best it can offer (or even think
so)
but that particular example simply doesn't hold water, sorry.