* Ada package for linear assignment problem
@ 1997-04-01  0:00 Jan Galkowski
From: Jan Galkowski @ 1997-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know of an Ada version for the Carpaneto and Toth
Algorithm 548 (ACM TOMS) that solves the linear assignment
problem?  The original was reported in FORTRAN and could be
recoded, but...

TIA.

--
 Jan Theodore Galkowski,
 developer, tool & numerical methods elf

* Re: Ada package for linear assignment problem
@ 1997-04-01  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan asks

<<Does anyone know of an Ada version for the Carpaneto and Toth
Algorithm 548 (ACM TOMS) that solves the linear assignment
problem?  The original was reported in FORTRAN and could be
recoded, but...>>

Why not just use the Fortran version, and interface to it? It always
seems to me to be an error-prone waste of time to convert things to
Ada just for the sake of convesion.

* Re: Ada package for linear assignment problem
@ 1997-04-02  0:00   ` Mark Eichin
From: Mark Eichin @ 1997-04-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Why not just use the Fortran version, and interface to it? It always
> seems to me to be an error-prone waste of time to convert things to
> Ada just for the sake of convesion.

I've seen citations right here, actually, of conversions (from C, some
popular bitmap image handling package if I recall right) to Ada
actually finding bugs in the package simply due to the tighter
semantics of Ada... so in general (though admittedly perhaps not in
this specific case) the conversion can be quite valuable.