* C++ book.
@ 1998-08-18  0:00 Richard Toy
From: Richard Toy @ 1998-08-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can anyone recommend the right book that an experienced Ada programmer
should read to quickly learn C++ ?

--
Regards
Richard Toy

* Re: C++ book.
@ 1998-08-18  0:00 ` David  Weller
From: David  Weller @ 1998-08-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <35D93715.A60@dera.gov.uk>, Richard Toy  <rtoy@dera.gov.uk> wrote:
>Can anyone recommend the right book that an experienced Ada programmer
>should read to quickly learn C++ ?

Your skill level will determine the right book.  If you're adept with
Ada and know some C, I recommend Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming
Language, Third Edition" (ISBN: 0-201-8954-4) ($35.96 at Amazon)

--
  DVD vs. DIVX: The Truth Is Out There => http://www.riva.com/dvd_divx.html
---------------------Read about "Reformed English"----------------------------

* Re: C++ book.
@ 1998-08-18  0:00 ` Chris Morgan
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Chris Morgan @ 1998-08-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Toy <rtoy@dera.gov.uk> writes:

> Can anyone recommend the right book that an experienced Ada programmer
> should read to quickly learn C++ ?

C++ Primer, Lippman
--
Chris Morgan <mihalis at ix.netcom.com> http://www.netcom.com/~mihalis

* Re: C++ book.
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1998-08-19  0:00 ` Richard D Riehle
From: Richard D Riehle @ 1998-08-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <35D93715.A60@dera.gov.uk>,
	Richard Toy <rtoy@dera.gov.uk> wrote:

>Can anyone recommend the right book that an experienced Ada programmer
>should read to quickly learn C++ ?
>
>--
>Regards
>Richard Toy

I rather like the Bruce Eckel book, Thinking in C++.  It is
intellectually accessible to the mind of a simple programmer.
Too many books are designed as a medium for the author to show
off.  This book is designed to communicate information so you
can understand C++.

Richard Riehle
richard@adaworks.com

* Re: C++ book.
@ 1998-08-19  0:00 ` Dave Wood
From: Dave Wood @ 1998-08-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would think Simon Johnston's "Ada 95 for C and
C++ Programmers", published by Addison Wesley
Longman, would provide the ideal direct mapping
and related discussion.

Of course, you need to read it backwards.  :)

-- Dave Wood, Aonix
-- Product Manager, ObjectAda for Windows

Richard Toy wrote:

> Can anyone recommend the right book that an experienced Ada programmer
> should read to quickly learn C++ ?
>
> --
> Regards
> Richard Toy

* Re: C++ book.
@ 1998-08-19  0:00   ` Tero Pulkkinen
From: Tero Pulkkinen @ 1998-08-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Wood <dpw@killspam.cts.com> writes:
> I would think Simon Johnston's "Ada 95 for C and
> C++ Programmers", published by Addison Wesley
> Longman, would provide the ideal direct mapping
> and related discussion.
>
> Of course, you need to read it backwards.  :)

:-)

I recommend a book "Scientific and Engineering C++" by
Barton&Nackman. (from awl too)

Its meant for fortran or C programmers to learn C++ not-so-quickly,
but I believe ada programmers can learn from it too and you dont need
to read it backwards. Its not a book for beginner programmers, but
people who have done programming on other languages for a long time.

--
-- Tero Pulkkinen -- terop@modeemi.cs.tut.fi --

* Re: C++ book.
@ 1998-08-24  0:00 Simon Johnston
From: Simon Johnston @ 1998-08-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think reading it backwards might prove difficult :-) however Addison
Wesley were keen that it should be possible to use it in that manner.

Simon Johnston, Application Development Consultant
Enterprise Customer Unit, Microsoft Corp.
Tel: 425-704-5602
Fax: 425-936-7329
Pager: 1-800-SKY-8888 PIN 1358240
http://www.microsoft.com/Enterprise/support.htm